magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No audio drivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
offbeatmammal
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: No audio drivers Reply with quote

I have an 'always on' machine with wired connection so I'd like to use it as the host for MagicJack.
It's an old Compaq Presario SR1660AN running Windows Home Server.

Everything installs fine but when I try to call from either the softphone (just testing) or a connected handset I get a popup error that says there are no output audio devices ... and it doesn't work Sad

Checked the devices and it hadn't installed an audio driver (server config... hardly surprising) but even after I installed the Realtec AC'97 drivers I get the same issue.

Any ideas/suggestions? I can move the MJ to a WinXP machine but it's WiFi not wired to the router so I'm not sure (from a quality perspective) if that's a good idea (we want to try MJ as a replacement to Skype as the Belkin WiFi handset had terrible quality issues)
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offbeatmammal,

I'll beat the rest of the gang to it. MJ is only for XP or Vista so I am not surprised you are having difficulty.

I use MJ on my wireless laptop with XP all the time and it works very well, I can not tell any difference between it and my power house Dell XPS (Vista Ultimate) wired computer.

PS - my measurements indicate that MJ only uses 75 to 80 kbps of bandwidth (MAX) so most wireless setups can handle that with ease.
offbeatmammal
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... the installer/MagixFix page tells me everything (including audio!) is okay....
guess they need to fix that!

Windows Home Server is basically Windows Server 2003 so there's nothing too funky.
Guess I'll move it and try on the other machine... I've put some feelers out with WHS folks as well to see if anyone has any suggestions re making audio work as needed
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offbeatmammal,

What is "WHS folks"?

As far a MagicJack fix, it does fixes some things, but I have also had it say everything is just fine when nothing was working correctly. So I don't have a lot of faith in it. One Vista one time I ran it trying to diagnose why my MJ won't auto-start. It came up and said that my auto start was not configured correctly would you like me to fix it. Duh! - well yeah. After it was thru I ran the fix again and it said everything was working just fine but my MJ still does not auto-start. This is not a show stopper for me but I would like it to work. Rolling Eyes
offbeatmammal
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"WHS" - Windows Home Server
"WHS folks" - nice people who hang out on the various WHS forums and have lots of advice to make it better Smile

the reason I really want to use my WHS box for this is that it's always on. the other PCs in the house sleep when they're not in use (gotta think about the planet - and my power bill!)
TOF
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: No audio drivers Reply with quote

offbeatmammal wrote:
I have an 'always on' machine with wired connection so I'd like to use it as the host for MagicJack.
It's an old Compaq Presario SR1660AN running Windows Home Server.

Everything installs fine but when I try to call from either the softphone (just testing) or a connected handset I get a popup error that says there are no output audio devices ... and it doesn't work Sad

Checked the devices and it hadn't installed an audio driver (server config... hardly surprising) but even after I installed the Realtec AC'97 drivers I get the same issue.

Any ideas/suggestions? I can move the MJ to a WinXP machine but it's WiFi not wired to the router so I'm not sure (from a quality perspective) if that's a good idea (we want to try MJ as a replacement to Skype as the Belkin WiFi handset had terrible quality issues)

I started reading this thread and since I have a Windows Server 2003, Standard, I thought I'd try it. After plugging it in the green icon indicating upgrading came on and then the normal MJ startup icons. The softphone came on as normal in XP and all seemed OK. I tried a call out and call in and all worked. The sound card is an old Sound Blaster ESS something or other so no RealTec built-in. However I do have two XP machines with the Realtec 'AC97 built-in sound and have no problem with MJ. I realize this doesn't correct your problem but it might suggest that an old cheapie SB PCI card could help you if the server systems have enough similarity.

Good luck!
WayneS
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Windows 2003 SBS Reply with quote

I run one of my magicjacks on Windows 2003 SBS. A couple of times after a reboot or the upgraded doesnt work, I plug the magicjack into a Windows XP machine, let it run for a little while, then move it back. This seems to clear up the problem it was having.

Hope this helps

Wayne
offbeatmammal
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a try after it's been running on the WinXP box for a while.
if I can find a cheapie soundcard with the right drivers for WHS I'll give that a try as well (seems redundant when the MoBo has the capability, but I'll give it a try!)
ruggb
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was a suggestion from TNS for one of the issues I was having and it seemed like I had to check to be sure MJ was pointed to the correct audio device to use. It was, but I can't remember exactly what I checked.

try this under MENU / SWITCH TO HANDSET - the pull down may contain a couple of device - make sure it is set on the correct ones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: