magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie with questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoovieD
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Newbie with questions Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I found it while researching Magic Jack for a possible purchase. Given the different places I've been so far, I've seen about 50-50 pro/con for this thing. One big issue seems to be with the initial charge some are reporting in the area of $100. Why the disparity? Are people ordering more than 1, thus the high charge? Not everybody's getting that charge- why are some getting it for that much and some getting it for the stated price?

I've seen Gold and Platinum packages talked about, but not well explained on the website. Can someone elaborate?

Another question is with the usage limit. I have two teens who may run my total phone time up to maybe 3hrs or a little more a day. How much are you who are getting limited using the thing in a day to incur this?
And what is Softphone? I'd heard that calls must be dialed through it on the computer, but some people are hooking 1 phone base up to the unit and using a couple wireless handsets off that base with it also. That is how I would use it.

This thing seems cool and I'd love to try it, but I may not for fear of running into the same problems some of you apparently are. I'd love to hear some more details from you detractors on what I've mentioned above if you will.

Thanks to all for your input!
lockmaster
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: mj costs Reply with quote

it only cost $39 and that's for a full year of service. Mine works fine with cordless phones. As an option you can (1) use your home telephone wiring if you disconnect the outside phone line where it comes into the house from the phone company; or (2) use the extra unused wiring pair for MJ if you want to keep your phone company account and MJ using inhouse phone lines. However, these options requires some rewiring by someone familiar with phone circuits.The best method is to use some cheap cordless phones with the base station plugged into MJ. I am using Uniden cordless on one setup and Vtech on another that I installed for a friend.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with questions Reply with quote

HoovieD wrote:
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I found it while researching Magic Jack for a possible purchase. Given the different places I've been so far, I've seen about 50-50 pro/con for this thing. One big issue seems to be with the initial charge some are reporting in the area of $100. Why the disparity? Are people ordering more than 1, thus the high charge? Not everybody's getting that charge- why are some getting it for that much and some getting it for the stated price?

I've seen Gold and Platinum packages talked about, but not well explained on the website. Can someone elaborate?

Another question is with the usage limit. I have two teens who may run my total phone time up to maybe 3hrs or a little more a day. How much are you who are getting limited using the thing in a day to incur this?
And what is Softphone? I'd heard that calls must be dialed through it on the computer, but some people are hooking 1 phone base up to the unit and using a couple wireless handsets off that base with it also. That is how I would use it.

This thing seems cool and I'd love to try it, but I may not for fear of running into the same problems some of you apparently are. I'd love to hear some more details from you detractors on what I've mentioned above if you will.

Thanks to all for your input!

DO NOT BUY DIRECT FROM MAGICJACK

better sources are Walmart, Radio Shack, Best Buy

They are more accesible and if you have need to return it, you deal with a local, reputable merchant.

The most critical part of the voice quality equation is the stability of your 'net xion

Try running the tests at testyourvoip.com and myvoipspeed.visualware.com to see how you grade out. Try them at different times of the day.

Once you get the device you can get a good idea what is a softphone and ask more pertinent questions. You're in good hands here.
Don't worry about the cap....

Crack
freekshow
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as many have said here, for 40 bucks give it a try. I saw a commercial today that they are being sold at Walmart. Get it, try it, and if not happy take it back. I've had mine for over a year. I have a cheap ($10) Walmart GE phone connected and you can dial from the phone. Works well. I got rid of my landline and with my cell service, magic jack fills the gap until my nights and weekends start. Three hours a day should not be a problem. I know there was or is a time limit on the length of calls, 1 hour was the last I remember. Gold and platinum packages are additional years of service. Take a look at this too
http://www.gregkarp.com/blog/2007/12/31/cheap-phone-service-magicjack/
For $1.70 a month it's worth a gamble....
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with questions Reply with quote

HoovieD wrote:
One big issue seems to be with the initial charge some are reporting in the area of $100. Why the disparity?

Another question is with the usage limit. I have two teens who may run my total phone time up to maybe 3hrs or a little more a day.

Hi,
The $100 is probably the purchase of the USB adapter plus multi-years of service instead of the normal 1 year.

With 2 teens, how cool would it be if you got them each a MJ and each had their own number? This assumes you have 2 computers to run them on, each MJ needs its own computer. But search the forums for discussions on using multiple MJ's on one PC. Others have experimented.
Popgory
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum HoovieD. Loads of good advice from Lockmaster, CrackerJack and freakshow. I too am new. Lurked the forum during March and bought mJ at Radio Shack. mJ is now up and running w/o any problems. You have come this far, why not disconnect the wires at the POTS junction box and plug in the mJ to a phone outlet. Then get the thin client. After a couple of months, take the spouse out for dinner with the $$s you save, provided you don't start tricking out many TCs. Smile

Again, welcome and enjoy the new knowledge!
RisingJackForce
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying the product first, don't make orders for 5 year plan yet,
make sure that you prepared and tested yourself with everything that magicjack offers (together with it's problem) Razz
anyway you have the 30 day guarantee. . . try and return or try and live with it. Wink Wink
QuantumIguana
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't order it over the internet, pick it up at Radio Shack or Best Buy. If it doesn't work out, it would be less of a pain.
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Advice: Make sure it works to your expectations before plunking down your hard earned money on the five year plan.

Some people have never got their MJ to run correctly mostly due to equipment issues, ISP and gateway problems.
Kif Kroker
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure that if you buy it from Radio Shack or Best Buy to keep the receipt. If you do have problems with your MJ you will have to return it to the place you purchased it and they may require you have the receipt. When you do buy it from a retail store, you will not be able to return it or get a replacement from the MJ website.
BlackmagicBoy
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

Try the product if it works on your end then that would be great, it works fine for me lol... tnx Mr. Dan B.________ anyway HoovieD you have options, the resellers or purchase directly to MJ company if you want to buy from the reseller then ask them first, but if you want online orders read first the TOS of MJ , sorry i forgot the link help any one Rolling Eyes
pamida13
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a magic jack 3 weeks ago I plugged it in and it worked fine I did not have to do anything so I told my best friend she bought one and when I tried to call her she can't hear me so I guess the unit works good for some but not others. My friend said the customer support was not helpful they did not know why she can't hear the callers she tried another phone and it still would not work.
I had no idea that you can be limited to how much talk time you can use I do not use my phone much at all so it would not bother me but I feel if MJ is going to limit how many calls you can make they need to state that fact in their ads. The only thing I don't like is the fact I have to dial an area code for any call I make and the only numbers in my area are all long distance for my sons to call me since they had no numbers for the town we line in but I have a cell phone so they call me that way.
I would say the MJ is good for a second phone line especially if you have kids who tie up your land line or don't have cell phones or is your looking to save on long distance calls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: