magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newb question about long distance charges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabourd
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: newb question about long distance charges Reply with quote

I live in canada and just ordered the MJ+... I thought I could port my phone number but the live chat said you could not.
I have a question about long distance charges. will my neighbors have to call long distance when they call me?

My current landline number is [b]819-453-####[/b] when i register my magic jack I can opt for a canadian number, I looked and they have the [b]819[/b] area code but it is not for the same region [b]453[/b] that I currently have. I doubt they would have the [b]819-453[/b] combination that my landline now has.
If I choose to build a vanity number will it be a canadian number if I make it 819-453-#### or do I have to choose the canadian number option as well? so 10$ for the candian number + 10$ for the vanity number?

All this to say: If i create a vanity number like 819-453-#### will my neighbors with the same area code and region number 819-453-.... be able to call me without paying long distance?
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a number which is local to your neighbors they will be able to call you without having to pay long distance charges.
Bluebird
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Neighbor Has to Pay Long Distance Reply with quote

I bought the Magic Jack & a local Canadian# (Halifax,NS), 902 704 #### but was shocked to find out that anyone calling me had to pay long distance even though they had Halifax#s. After contacting customer support I was told that they had to pay long distance because the exchage#s, 902 252 #### were differant from the one assigned by Magic Jack even though they were all Halifax#s. That is rediculous !!!!! my next door neighbor has to pay long distance to call me !!!! I wouldn't have anyone calling me any more. I RETURNED THE EQUIPMENT back to the store & I would not recommend this to anyone. Sucks because I really wanted to dump the local phone company.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you.
For a Canadian, voip.ms would be a great solution.
Gene45
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
Lucky you.

Why? I just looked it up. It would cost 1/2 cent per minute for Canadian calls. 1.05 cents for US.

1000 minutes per month would be $50.00.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene45 wrote:
cell14 wrote:
Lucky you.

Why? I just looked it up. It would cost 1/2 cent per minute for Canadian calls. 1.05 cents for US.

1000 minutes per month would be $50.00.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say, I think you have a decimal point out of place.

1,000 * .005 = $5.00
1,000 * .0105 = $10.50
rexlan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW ... you really need to BS on the phone for 16 hours a month!!!!!!!
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rexlan wrote:
WOW ... you really need to BS on the phone for 16 hours a month!!!!!!!

Seriously? Maybe he has other people living in the house with him.

That's about 30 minutes a day. I have known more than a few females, no offense to women intended, that would honestly think you had lost your mind thinking they would only talk on the phone for 30 minutes a day. And one or two of them I preferred that they stay on the phone since it meant they were leaving me alone. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: