magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New user...off to a rocky start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NapMan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: New user...off to a rocky start Reply with quote

I signed up for the 30 day trial and received my MagicJack today. I was excited to plug it in and get it going. My first disappointment came when I was signing up for my number. I discovered that even though they had numbers in my area code available, they did not have any prefixes for my city. My only choices will all be long distance for most of my friends and family. I logged onto the MJ site's support chat and they recommended I just go ahead and pick a number since I'm in the 30 day trial and that their engineers are constantly working on adding more numbers.
So I decided to go with a long distance number. HOWEVER when it tried to activate for me I kept getting an error. I kept trying and trying and now I'm getting a screen that says it cannot connect to the server. It says if I'm able to access websites it probably means that their server is down and to try again later.

So far I'm not very happy.
smalcom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't expect that the exchanges you want will become available within the next 30 days. You will find that "customer support" works from a canned script, and their answers are not always accurate. The engineers are constantly "working" on almost every issue/modification/enhancement. Check through this forum and you will see what I mean.

You would be better served by searching this forum for answers or posting your question. Almost every issue you can raise has been raised/answered/discussed here. Most of the time you can get better support here on this forum.
NapMan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. What is the best way to find out if and when they add a local exchange for my area?
smalcom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NapMan wrote:
Thanks for the response. What is the best way to find out if and when they add a local exchange for my area?

Use the magigJack FAQ site which will show you all of the available exchanges in an area code. One thing, though. Once you set up an area code/phone number combo on a dongle, they will not let you change that setup. You will have to buy a new magicJack for the new number.
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smalcom wrote:
NapMan wrote:

Use the magigJack FAQ site which will show you all of the available exchanges in an area code. One thing, though. Once you set up an area code/phone number combo on a dongle, they will not let you change that setup. You will have to buy a new magicJack for the new number.

You get one free number change; after that, it's $10 per change.
smalcom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maine-iac wrote:
smalcom wrote:
NapMan wrote:

You get one free number change; after that, it's $10 per change.

Yes, you're right. Don't know what I was thinking. Next time I'll be sure to engage brain before writing.
NapMan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smalcom wrote:
NapMan wrote:

I cannot find anything in the FAQ that lists exchanges. Area codes, yes, but not exchanges.
msiam
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go into the my.magicjacjack.com site and sign in. you can go through the change number routine , as long as you dont complete it or accept the change, you can see all the exchanges in your area code from the drop down of exchanges. Go no further and all is cool, all remains, no change..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: