magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
***New Mods T5730 a Dual-Core 64-bit CPU & PCIe G-card
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: ***New Mods T5730 a Dual-Core 64-bit CPU & PCIe G-card Reply with quote

EDITED I had to change this subject line, see the October 6th 2011 post, further-down this thread, for the entire story.
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/post73112.html#73112
Smile
--------------
Edit as of July 11th, 2014

**** Here's a photo of my system

------
Additional EDIT July 5th 2014

This extra bit of info is important, before you try any modifications, so I'm adding it to this first message.

Check my signature in my posts, to see what I'm using with my T5730

If you use a dual-core CPU, and PCIe x16 (@ x1) Graphics Card, you'll also need a better power pack.
I'm using a 12 volt DC - 192 watt (16 amp) brick Power-Supply,
modified to fit in a molex 2x2 connector on the T5730,
soldered directly to the motherboard trace pattern in 4 separate areas.
(2 positive & 2 negative wires - 8 Amps per wire-pair)
I selected this PSU because I wanted extra power(wattage) "head-room",
if I add any USB 2.0 devices, or hard drives... etc...
and I didn't want the PSU operating at it's near MAXIMUM rated value all the time.

The graphics card doesn't need to be fancy.
Any simple PCIe x16 that doesn't need a separate power connection thru another power-supply cable link.

I suppose you could pull 12 volts directly from the new PowerSupply to power a fancy card,
but it won't matter on the T5730 Smile to have such a fancy graphics card when just x1 is used.

If you want to open the slots back-end plastic part from the HP PCIe riser-card, so a x16 card fits it's x1 slot,
be very careful cutting down that back area of the socket.
The ground clips for the card are there, so whatever you use to cut the plastic away from the slots back-end,
stay as close to the outer area of that plastic as you can while cutting away the plastic, to open the slot.

Once you've opened the slot, use plastic fishing line, or thin plastic ties to hold the PCIe card into the HP riser-card,
and a small plastic "spacer" by the slots back-end, to keep the card from rocking in the slot. ---> see photo, above <---

You can also use a plastic "spacer" to stabilize the graphics card against the motherboard.
(--"plastic spacer" can be any scrap piece of plastic that works Wink )

Don't expect great fast 3D rendering, since just x1 PCIe line is used.
But for playing HDTV, it seems x1 PCIe is very smooth moving, and all that's needed.
You'll need to set the cards OS to use the lowest default graphics setting for 3D,
or just try it's own balanced default first, using the drivers graphics card control software.

Are you going to use it for HDTV Playing, & or tuner TV recording?
What OS are you going to use on it. (I use Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)

I recommend a 64-Bit OS. It makes the video playback smoother.
I tried both 32-bit & 64-bit...there IS a big speed difference with 64-bit,
and it gives it that "fluid" motion effect, where it doesn't show any flicker.

--------------------------------
Original post
--------------------------------
Hi, the subject line isn't large enough to tell the entire story, so here goes

From other posts of mine, on this site, (and to make a long story short) ... Smile

My original T5710 had a BIOS problem, HP sent it back fixed, but not having
the original CPU of TM8800 so my 1GB RAM didn't work on the replacement board with the TM8600

HP offered to replace the T5710 with a new T5730, but I'm wondering
how good a deal it actually is for me.

It uses different RAM memory, and the Flash Drive may be soldered onto
the board, according to Kingston

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=45629&mfr=HP%2FCompaq&model=Thin+Client+t5730+%2F+t5735&root=us&LinkBack=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingston.com&Sys=45629-HP%2FCompaq-Thin+Client+t5730+%2F+t5735&distributor=0&submit1=Search

So, now I'm wondering if it's a better deal because it now uses more power too ...
(50 watts for the T5730, and around 10 watts for the T5710)
and a slower CPU @ 1GHz (the T5710 was 1.2GHz)

... and what about the Magicjack, will it give any troubles or need special considerations?

HP also offered to swap my PCI Expansion Kit for my T5710 for the PCI/PCIe Expansioin Kit used on the T5730

What's your opinion, from the ones with more knowledge here, about the T5730?

Is the FlashDrive the same for the T5730 as on the T5710
Or is it soldered on the board, as kingston seems to think,
replaceable ONLY by HP.

Thanks.
(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)
EVGA GeForce 7600 GT PCIe x16 card, (in x1 speed)
New 12vdc 16 amp (192w) PSU

Last edited by momo on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:39 am; edited 9 times in total
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

PTravel
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion, only, but I think this is a good deal. The t5720 is a terrific thin client that can do an amazing number of things. If all you want to do is run a MagicJack, it won't make a difference, but if you're interested in other applications, I'd take the t5720 deal.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTravel wrote:
My personal opinion, only, but I think this is a good deal. The t5720 is a terrific thin client that can do an amazing number of things. If all you want to do is run a MagicJack, it won't make a difference, but if you're interested in other applications, I'd take the t5720 deal.

if you think the T5720 would be a good deal ... DUDE ... they offered a T5730
not the T5720 Very Happy

you mis-read ... Razz

no matter though, you think the upgrade is a good deal by the tone of your excitement, thinking a T5720 trade would be great. Smile

BUT, I still have to wait and see if they find a T5730 PCI/PCIe Expansion Kit to
replace my T5710 Expansion Kit, ... they couldn't find one yet, and are still
also looking for a TM8800 based T5710 to replace my original one...
and I'd have to send all of my T5710 stuff back for the exchange.

I'm wondering if the same FlashDrives I have will work on the T5730
I know the RAM module is different, again, according to the Kingston site.

I also asked them if they'll send the power-supply for the T5730, ... it needs a larger wattage PS than the T5710

which brings up the point of the extra wattage usage... even at idle.
T5710 ... around 10 watts or lower
T5730 ... around 50 watts (maybe slightly lower)

Not to mention, the slower CPU, just 1GHz, instead of 1.2GHz
is the T5730 faster anyway, because it has a larger FSB ???
I think the T5710 has a FSB of 100 or 133 ... what's the T5730

I don't know for sure, about all these points, and sometimes what seems like a good deal
may just be more delay and expense for me getting the new memory module, and
not being able to swap a larger FlashDrive, if it even will work with an 8GB DOM at all,
not to mention the higher power requirement for when the thing is doing nothing, and it can't go into "suspend mode",
because the MagicJack needs to be connected all the time...!

I did want to also use the Thin Client as a PVR with my Dvico Fusion5HDTV USB Tuner, and
maybe also a video server thru my Router, but, it's still up in the air if it's over-kill for what I need now,
or if I should think of it as "upgrade-ability" for later needs down the road,

so, I'm still undecided.... this is why I need more input, (info) about it. Smile
(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)
PTravel
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops. Damn numbers! Smile

Just going by purchase price, this is a heck of a deal. The cheapest I've been able to get t5730s for is $250 on eBay -- most are in the $400-600 range.

I've got a bunch of t5720s and two t5730s. The biggest advantage of the t5730 is the built-in gigabit NIC and DVI video port. If you want to stream video, make a PVR or do anything involving video, this is the way to go. With a t5720 (and t5710) you get only a single PCI slot -- that means either a DVI-equipped graphics card or a gigabit NIC -- not both.

The t5730 supports the 8 gigabit flash ROM from Transcend. I've got one on which I've loaded full XP Pro (in fact, I'm using it to post from right now). Frankly, I don't think the 2/10th of a gigahertz difference in CPU speed makes much of a difference. They're different processors so, without knowing the efficiency of each, it's really impossible to benchmark them just on the numbers. I'd have to open one up, but I'm pretty sure the flash RAM isn't soldered. Unfortunately, I'm off to China early tomorrow for three weeks, so I won't have a chance to do this 'til I get back. It should be in the specs somewhere, I'd think.

I'm fairly sure the FSB is 133 MHz. Hang on a sec -- okay, just checked. Aida32 reports a 200 MHz FSB. Aida also reports SODIMM memory -- I suppose that still could be soldered, but I wouldn't think it likely.

Oh, one other nice feature of the t5730: the expansion slot can be either PCI or PCIe. If you're ever tempted to set up a RAID system using eSATA drives, it's easy (well, relatively easy) to do with a PCIe card (I'm running a terabyte RAID system on this one).

You could always take the t5730, sell it on eBay and buy 2 or 3 t5710s. Smile
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know you actually had one (or two) of the T5730's

does it always take the full 50 watts, or does it depend on what's inside?

it may be several months before I add the other functions, and didn't want to have it draw more power and have less things being done by it.

It's going to be my Internet link, and MagicJack support computer, for now, so it's light duty at first.
... I'd hate to be drawing 50 watts for so simple a task.... that's why the T5710 was so interesting... under 10 watts, maximum.

but i do admit, the extra upgrade-ability is a temptation for my added PVR and Video server use.

I may actually keep it if HP can find the PCI/PCIe Expansion Kit, and includes the higher wattage power supply.

Kingston says the memory is DDR2, ... the T5710 uses 200 pin DDR
So I'd also have to get new memory? ... can it handle 2GB of RAM ?

I'm glad the FlashDrive is the same. Rolling Eyes

thanks for all this info. Cool

if the RAM is replaceable, I may keep it and not sell it on eBay.
it would only further delay my use of MagicJack and my other uses for the thin client.

are there any links to what it looks like inside the T5730 Question
(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: You're not gonna believe this, about the T5730 Reply with quote

Hey, PTravel, I recently discovered some wild info facts about the T5730.

It's a 64-bit motherboard ...

It has a socketed (S1G1) CPU, that will accept a Turion x2 Dual-Core 2.4GHz 64-bit CPU (S1G1 socket S1) (AMD TMDTL68HAX5DM)

There's a board layout trace pattern area for a second RAM socket.
(I'm going to add the socket. I've seen the type that's needed)

There's a board trace layout area for a CF-Slot socket, on the bottom side, under the Flash Drive area. (bottom side of mobo)

You'll also need to get a higher wattage power supply block for all these additions.

But here's something I didn't know ... There's an on-board PCIe 16x v1.1a slot there already.

(*** EDITED- the PCIe socket on the T5730 isn't standard wired, and not compatible with standard PCIe cards, without the HP included PCIe riser-card

-------------------------------
**** Edit of June 2014 ****
You can use a PCIe x16 graphics card in x1 speed, if you cut-off the back plastic section of the HP PCIe x1 Riser-cards socket, that's keeping a full-sized card from fitting in.

I did that, and it works well enough to play HDTV full screen without flicker or lost frames

It's best to use a 64-bit OS and Dual-core MPU with 400 MHz (800 MHz) speed RAM module

Read more, in the posts dealing with each point.
Ask something if you're not sure, before you mess it up. Smile
------------------------------------------
)

I already confirmed the 2.2GHz Dual-Core 64-bit Turion x2 CPU works.
I tried a 2.4 GHz speed of the same model CPU, it worked, but the CPU may have been defective because it shut down shortly after.
I sent it back for a replacement.

(***EDITED- the replacement 2.4GHz CPU worked perfectly)

(The BIOS screen shows the CPU as something else, but the OS sees the correct one, it must not be controlled by BIOS, instead, by the OS)

The 2.2GHz CPU is still working ... And I have the system playing 1920x1080i to my monitor, smoothly, at full screen... using the Dvico USB Gold Fusion5 HDTV tuner.

I also was able to install Windows7 64-bit, and it fully worked, but when the defective CPU crapped out, it did something to win7 and I wasn't able to install again, but the WinXP Pro, full version is in, and working, on a 320GB Western Digital 2.5 inch Hard Drive, using a Female-to-Female 44-pin IDE cable, in place of the Flash Drive.

Now I'm going to try a EVGA 7600GT PCIe card, and I've purchased a 12vdc 16 amp (192 w) power supply brick to support all these new additions.

I have the 7600GT card ($20 + $4.99 s/h) from EVGA B-stock section.

And I've located a flex-riser adapter for the PCIe 16x slot ... But still have to try this all, when the riser card comes in.

I had to modify the power supply connector area on the T5730, adding wires and a 4-pin plug to attach the 16 amp PSU.

Many pictures were made so far, but I'm waiting to see if the 7600GT works.

All this will be posted on the EVGA forum, and maybe here too. Wink

With the faster CPU and the Dual-Cores, the CPU usage doesn't go much past 50% while playing the HDTV 1080i out from the DVI ...also dual monitors are supported now too... But don't want to press it. Smile yet!

Playing AVCHD works too, but plays slightly slow, most likely because of the built-in graphics limitations... This is why I want to try the 7600GT, but don't know if the BIOS will complain, or the mobo will give the maximum of 75 watts from the PCIe socket.

I hope there isn't a limit on the power regulators of the motherboard Confused

Cool

I have the data sheets for the chipsets on the mobo....
This was where I got my hints. Very Happy
(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)

Last edited by momo on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:46 am; edited 7 times in total
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all ... It seems HP doesn't use a standard wiring pattern for their PCIe 16x slot on the T5730

The ground lines don't match-up to standards in other motherboards generic in design, along with the signal and other voltage lines, so, standard PCIe 16x risers won't work unless a custom riser is made.

One thing I should mention, the company I got these risers from was very nice dealing with this issue, sending me new risers to try at no cost to me.

http://www.microsatacables.com/

I've offered to pay them for their troubles, and asked if they'd be interested in designing a custom HP "style" riser, using my original HP PCIe x16 to standard PCI 32 slot card to compare theirs to the HP risers wiring at the PCIe side.

We'll see how that goes Rolling Eyes But you never know ... They're REALLY a very nice place to purchase from, given what they put-up with regarding this issue.

Wink Very Happy

Oh...BTW... All the other mods worked, remember? ... Now I'm going to put the replacement 2.4GHz CPU in and see if that's good too.

Later dudes! Cool
(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)
V0X
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

save yer money and get a plus (no thin client needed)
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V0X wrote:
save yer money and get a plus (no thin client needed)

Yes... So I hear!... Wink

But my point is, the ThinClient can now be a serious computer, without the magic jack to take it over.

I wound up getting Callcentric, ... not much more than the magic jack service per month. (with a discounted incoming DID)

And better than where I was several years ago, ... I take back saying Future-Nine was any good, they're babies compared to Callcentric.

Anyway, the T5730 is now a Dual-Core @ 2.4 GHz it runs the Dvico HDTV tuner at full screen and records to the built-in 320GB Hard Drive... VERY SMOOTHLY.
So it's now my Digital Video Recorder for HDTV shows.
I'm going to add the extra RAM socket for allowing two(2) separate 2GB dual-channel RAM modules... It may even be able to handle 4GB chips for a total of 8GB in dual-channel.

I even had Windows 7 pro 64 running on it with just the 2GB one module.
But the graphics chip, (on-board) holds it back from a better win7 rating.

if I can get the PCIe non-standard HP 174-pin socket re-wired with a new riser adapter, I'll be able to put the EVGA 7600GT PCIe graphics card in.

That means the CPU will not have to work as hard, and more can be done with the T5730... a "Smart HDTV" can be made out of it, plus a full REAL computer, and not just an Internet device.

HP didn't tell us everything the T5730 can work with, and with the limitations of the small OS , Flash Drive, RAM, slow CPU, and limited Graphics it's really only good for the old magic jack.

I can even use it now to stream full speed HDTV video and audio, to my iPad2, using an App on the iPad2, and a video streamer server program on the T5730, anywhere in the house locally , or over the public Internet.

Its wild!

Laughing

Cool
(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)

Last edited by momo on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weznezz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Momo, I have a T5730 myself which I've been messing about with alot recently. I found this thread after googling for dual core cpu's, so I'm glad to find that I can put one in this.
But regarding the pcie x16 slot, it's actually just a combined PCIe x1 slot and a normal PCI slot into a x16 shaped slot.
I'm going to take a guess (as I have no riser to prove this) that the x1 pinouts should be correct, but the other half of the slot has been rewired for the official HP legacy PCI riser.

I hope I've helped you as much as your findings have with me! Smile
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Weznezz thanks for your post.
**** Edited June 2014 ****
You were right after all.
That's why I'm editing important posts in this thread, to say so. Wink

------------
Remember, when/if you do get the dual-core CPU you'll also need a more powerful power supply.
One that's 80w or higher to power the new CPU and other circuits,
and a fan near the bottom, on the inside or outside blowing across the lower heat-pump fins.

----------
***** EDITED .... October 18th 2014 ... *****
The EVGA company seems to have changed their Forum links.
The ones of my posts don't match these two links...
...and I suspect all others to their site that may be in other posts within this thread.

Oh well, if I get a chance I'll search their site for it,
but all of the important info about this Mod, is here. Smile

----------

I've posted on the EVGA site about this too, ...
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1232349

As well as another thread about the PCIe slot, ...
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1261264

This second thread link has a picture of the standard PCIe x16 slot riser card, and the HP PCI 32 slot riser.
It doesn't look like the x1 wires are a match,
because the ground pins and some power pins are in the wrong place.

The first thread started out about the bad caps on a Geforce 7600GT card,
then starts to mention my upgrade mods, later in the thread,
with some pictures also showing the HP's memory socket,
and the on-board trace pattern for a second one, to add.
(yeah it can handle more than one)

I've also given links to an 80w & 102w power pack, using the same power-plug,
so no mod to the mobo's board is needed. Wink

And, links where to get lower priced dual-core Turion x2 CPU's

As well as some links to the chipsets data books,
and BIOS development books.
(in case a programming brain reads the threads) Very Happy

I posted there, under the name NewestUser. Cool

I still think it may be, at least, an 8x PCIe slot.
I'm trying to get the schematic, for the motherboard, to be sure.

I haven't posted all the pictures regarding the mods, but if more readers are interested, maybe I will post more about it.

Weznezz wrote:
Hey Momo, I have a T5730 myself which I've been messing about with alot recently. I found this thread after googling for dual core cpu's, so I'm glad to find that I can put one in this.
But regarding the pcie x16 slot, it's actually just a combined PCIe x1 slot and a normal PCI slot into a x16 shaped slot.
I'm going to take a guess (as I have no riser to prove this) that the x1 pinouts should be correct, but the other half of the slot has been rewired for the official HP legacy PCI riser.

I hope I've helped you as much as your findings have with me! Smile

(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)

Last edited by momo on Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:16 am; edited 2 times in total
kieths
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: T5730 DDR2 240 pin 2GB - who makes it? Reply with quote

Momo,

Very interested in the T5730 mods you've described.
My T5730 came without a power supply, so...I changed polarity on a 12v/3.5a orphaned supply to meet the need.

Planning for a 2.2 GHz upgrade (your notes), using the Turion mobile dual core CPU.

I currently have 1 GB, but I'm very interested in your memory upgrade. You mentioned the second socket solder pads on the m/b - I see them, but maybe later. But I see you are currently running a 2 GB configuration. I don't find any 240 pin 2 GB SO-DIMM modules listed on eBay. Which module / PN are you using?

Last question. You mentioned in a previous post that with the CPU, etc. upgrades, a stronger power supply may be needed. I don't plan to add any PCI/PCIe cards, just the 2.2 GHz CPU, and hopefully, replace my 1GB with a 2GB (goal is online streaming for audio and video, no local storage). I figure my current power supply is 42 watts (P=IE, so 42 watts = 3.5 amps x 12 volts DC). Is there a way to KNOW how much power would be needed to drive the CPU/memory upgrades alone, and, will it require an external fan, or can I squeeze a smaller fan inside the case (prefer additional internal heat-sinking if possible to avoid the fan noise / power use / opportunity for mechanical failure)?
kieths
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: t5730 mods: findings along the path Reply with quote

Thanks to the notion of trying non-stock hardware on the t5730.....

I bought and installed a good used 2.2 Ghz x2 Turion mobile CPU in my system, with a clean dollop of new heatsink compound. I find it is warmer than the stock 1ghz, but reasonably cool even without a fan...as long as there is plenty of space surrounding the case. My somewhat 'super-stock' 12vdc 3.5a AC adapter runs fine with the new CPU (my early conclusion after 4 hours non-stop video).

I'm running a stock HP factory image XPe sp3 (d/l from Hp's website). The new dual core CPU was recognized as new hardware upon boot. It looks for missing files (didn't capture the requested filenames, but can...if asked). I don't have all files (not even on my Ms XP pro original CD via USB CD drive). So it doesn't truly utilize the second core- yet. Task manager verifies this, only a single core running (pending the needed files)

I found the installed memory module is 244 pin ddr2, 1gb (Hynix 1gb 2rx16 pc2-5300s-555-12).. (To the first modder, I'm guessing you just tried a random 2gb module that fit, and luckily the chipset recognized it?). I've seen 4gb modules for simmilar spec modules on eBay, but doubt XP (or my watered down XPe) would fully take advantage of it (I'm also too cheap to buy it for a 'try' at about $50 !!).

MagicJack (original) barely uses any CPU overhead, even though my 2.2 Ghz sees only one of it's two cores. Solid stable sounding calls via my LAN connection.

Hoping to supplement XPe with needed files to enable the second CPU core. Otherwise, I have an unused MS XP with license, and could go the route of a tiny HDD upgrade to run that. Prefer to keep it solid state if possible. May explore the route of using a CF card (unlimited writes, per warranty....) and adapter.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: t5730 mods: findings along the path Reply with quote

Hi kieths, I replied to your PM as well, but figured I could also post my reply here since its good info for everyone to see too.

I'm guessing, the main reason the second core isn't being seen is the RAM limit you have now of just 1GB. If not also the limited XPe.
(BTW-check my signature, I now have the 2.4GHz CPU, just 'cause its faster)

*** are you SURE the installed memory module, on yours, is a 244 pin ddr2...?
*** mine was a 200 pin.

Here's my PM post with all the details. ... For all to see.
Please ignore the redundant bits of it that may not address the facts you already stated in this public post, I didn't read this area before I answered your PM. Smile

I'll look-up the module number I have for RAM and get back to you soon.

As for the power supply ... The best choice, minimum, is 75 watts, just to be safe, even without the other mods.
I have a 192 watt Power-pack

*** One note ... Just to consider ... Your used CPU may have a defective second core. ***

I'll get the 2GB module number for you, so you can try that too, first, before sending back the CPU.

-----

Hi kieths,
Thanks for your interest in my post.

I'm not sure you've understood the entire upgrade I did to my T5730.
I also changed the systems 1GB RAM for a 2GB Module, as well as changing the Flash Drive for a standard 2.5 inch 320GB PATA hard drive (using a female to female 44-pin IDE cable for it)

The second core may need a minimum of 2GB of RAM, to be seen, plus the full version of XP. (I'm not fully sure of this, I read it, and I was lucky enough to have already had the 2GB module) ... I was also planning to put the other socket for RAM on the board, to allow an additional 2GB module, (total 4GB), but haven't gotten around to this more time consuming end of the MOD. Besides the XP Pro (sp3) full version 32-bit just seeing around 3GB of the 4GB anyway.

Plus, I also hope you've updated your original power-pack from the T5730.
It's wattage was too low to reliably power the unit with the new CPU.
As well as some kind of small FAN blowing air thru the system for removing the extra heat.

Did you check the device manager, hardware view, to see if XPe shows there's a new CPU now? You may have to allow the flash drive to update, without holding back drive writing, by enabling drive writes, for the CPU update, when you reboot.

If you're not getting XPe to use or see the second core, and you don't have enough room to put the full version of XP Pro (sp3) on it, as I put on mine, you may be able to use the device manager to pull the CPU update files from Microsoft, thru the Internet. (but 2GB of RAM, minimum, may still be needed to have the second core function.)

I'm also not sure if the XPe will allow this, but it's worth a try, since its free to try it. Smile

If you know how to bring up the area of the device manager, where all the systems hardware shows, with the drivers, ... You can simply click on the CPU line, open its "properties" and do a driver update thru the Internet.

I also did this, just to make sure I had the latest AMD driver for the CPU, and was able to download the latest CPU info files, automatically. I think it was 2007 driver file (CPU.INI)

If you don't know where to look in the device manager, or how to get there, or the procedure to follow to update the driver files, just ask.

I'm also not sure the limits you still have on the T5730 will allow this all to work, but it's worth a free try.

Smile
Please let me know your outcome, or, if you need any additional help.

kieths wrote:
Hi Momo,

It was because of your posting(s) that I tried mods at all against the T5730, in fact the reason I got the T5730 at all, having started with just a 1ghz/1gbr/512mbf T5720.

I'm at a crossroads at this point. I want to use the T5730 for video streaming onto the tv (DVI->HDMI->TV), but it's too slow (can't even play Youtube's Popeye 1rst episode smoothly). So I followed your lead, and upgrade the CPU, Turion 2.2 Ghz Dual core to replace the Sempron 1 Ghz. I'm seeing the CPU as single core, and clocking at about 1.9. The speed doesn't bother, but the missing second core does. I've read about the ways to overcome the missing second core, and prefer not to change out the OS...just yet. I would prefer to add in the missing files to enable the second core, if that's possible. Have you successfully patched / supplemented missing second core file to make a factory XPe image recognize and run correctly? I would like to have a list of known missing files, if that's possible. I believe some may be hard to locate, but I do have a few computers around here...each with a licensed installation of XP. Perhaps they can be my source.

MJ does run on my older T5720, though with very limited left over space. The 512MB flash, I would guess, is about the minimum one could run MJ on. Perhaps I've left in some O/S baggage that's removable, but it's pretty much full with MJ.

-----

kieths wrote:
Thanks to the notion of trying non-stock hardware on the t5730.....

I bought and installed a good used 2.2 Ghz x2 Turion mobile CPU in my system, with a clean dollop of new heatsink compound. I find it is warmer than the stock 1ghz, but reasonably cool even without a fan...as long as there is plenty of space surrounding the case. My somewhat 'super-stock' 12vdc 3.5a AC adapter runs fine with the new CPU (my early conclusion after 4 hours non-stop video).

I'm running a stock HP factory image XPe sp3 (d/l from Hp's website). The new dual core CPU was recognized as new hardware upon boot. It looks for missing files (didn't capture the requested filenames, but can...if asked). I don't have all files (not even on my Ms XP pro original CD via USB CD drive). So it doesn't truly utilize the second core- yet. Task manager verifies this, only a single core running (pending the needed files)

I found the installed memory module is 244 pin ddr2, 1gb (Hynix 1gb 2rx16 pc2-5300s-555-12).. (To the first modder, I'm guessing you just tried a random 2gb module that fit, and luckily the chipset recognized it?). I've seen 4gb modules for simmilar spec modules on eBay, but doubt XP (or my watered down XPe) would fully take advantage of it (I'm also too cheap to buy it for a 'try' at about $50 !!).

MagicJack (original) barely uses any CPU overhead, even though my 2.2 Ghz sees only one of it's two cores. Solid stable sounding calls via my LAN connection.

Hoping to supplement XPe with needed files to enable the second CPU core. Otherwise, I have an unused MS XP with license, and could go the route of a tiny HDD upgrade to run that. Prefer to keep it solid state if possible. May explore the route of using a CF card (unlimited writes, per warranty....) and adapter.

(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)

Last edited by momo on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: The 2GB memory module is ... Reply with quote

The Kingston KTH-ZD8000B/2G 200pin 1.8v SODIMM DDR2

*** Edit June-2014 ***
A faster memory module part can be used, better than this one.
Read more in the post at this link...
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/post77646.html#77646

----
*** EDITED - September 13th 2014

The memory links below are outdated, and wrong anyway.
Simply search for 200-pin DDR2 SDRAM PC2-6400 memory that's 800MHz speed.
This will give you a 400MHz actual speed.

See page 2 of this thread. It's explained in more detail

The link ^ above ^ goes to that post, directly
----

Shown on Kingston's site at ...

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KTH-ZD8000B/2G

*** please verify if the RAM module is in fact 200 or 244 Pin on your T5730
*** if yours IS 244-pin ... the one I listed won't fit.

If you Google it, you may find less expensive pricing than full retail ...

Googles search results...
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=KTH-ZD8000B/2G&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=174059966398213773&sa=X&ei=EXFhT_DZMYry0gH_x-W1Bw&ved=0CD8Q8wIwAA

One online source showed BUY.COM ...here...
http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-2gb-ddr2-sdram-667mhz-200-pin-so-dimm-notebook-memory/203482835.html

Just as an example. ... Others may have it too.

Try Pricegrabber.com too. They'll search many other sources as well.

The Kingston brand of this module has a lifetime warranty.
But if you try another brand, I don't know if the specs are the same.

It should have a total of 16 chips on the module (8 on each side).

I'm trying to find my receipt for the place I got the power supply from.
They had lower pricing than anyone else for a range of wattages suited for this application, without needing modding of the connector, as I had to do for my higher wattage PSU.

When I find that source, I'll post it too.

If your PSU isn't getting too hot, you may be OK, but it's working at the near maximum wattage it can give. So if it doesn't blow out soon, it's really being "stressed" and will shorten its life, in the long-run.

Remember, one CORE isn't "ON" so it could be fooling you to think its not taking the full wattage it really will use with both cores running, plus the streaming HD video later on.

Be careful with this.
When you find out what's keeping the other core "OFF" and finally activate it, the wattage will rise, and the heat will too.! Both on the PSU, as well as the CPU... So a fan will ultimately be needed. You'll also need to keep the GPU cool, in case you've forgotten about that chip, on the motherboard. (the other large heatsink) Think of using a FAN, sooner than later. Wink
(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)

Last edited by momo on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 1 of 49

Jump to: