magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
***New Mods T5730 a Dual-Core 64-bit CPU & PCIe G-card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: This got me going, then I see HP did this already Reply with quote

Hi, I'm sure the newer HP ThinClients do have this second RAM socket, but I'm not getting a new ThinClient, just for the second RAM option, when I can add it myself to the T5730.
if you have a Surface Mount Hot-Air soldering device, it's easy to put it on there. (yes, I have one Smile )

The socket is available. I found a distributor, but never got the socket, when my mother died, near the time I was going to get the part.

I have to look-up that info, I have it somewhere, but I'm not in a rush.
you don't seem to be in one either. Wink

spoolin01 wrote:
I remember reading this thread a few months back, and being interested in this mod. I even bought a couple of X2 CPUs to try. Since then I've found out a couple of things - adding the second surface mount RAM connector would be about impossible for DIY, even if you could find it, and besides, it's already been done... by HP! The HP GT7720 (XPe) and GT7725 (Linux) use this chipset (mobo looks close to identical), with a dual core 2.3GHz Turion X2 Ultra (and a fan), and dual channel memory. Externally, the boxes are identical, including the I/O panel. Power supply is 19V (90 or 120W), however. Video is integrated HD 3200.

(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)
EVGA GeForce 7600 GT PCIe x16 card, (in x1 speed)
New 12vdc 16 amp (192w) PSU
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Here's the part# for the 2nd RAM Socket Reply with quote

The socket part# is
AS0A426-NARN-7F

If you google that part number, some sources and info for the part come up.

FOXCONN Site
http://www.fit-foxconn.com/search/Product_Details_Report.asp?P_PN=AS0A426-NARN-7F&P_type=Device-to-PCB%20connector&P_Family=Memory%20Connector&P_Series=DDR%20II%20SO%20DIMM%20Connector&searchTypeID=4

More photos and a possible distributor
http://www.icphotos.org/photo/AS0A426NARN7F.html

A DATA Sheet
http://www.fit-foxconn.com/catalog/spec/ProductSpec/as0a426-narn-7f.pdf

The original Google Search link
https://www.google.com/#q=AS0A426-NARN-7F

momo wrote:
Hi, I'm sure the newer HP ThinClients do have this second RAM socket, but I'm not getting a new ThinClient, just for the second RAM option, when I can add it myself to the T5730.
if you have a Surface Mount Hot-Air soldering device, it's easy to put it on there. (yes, I have one Smile )

The socket is available. I found a distributor, but never got the socket, when my mother died, near the time I was going to get the part.

I have to look-up that info, I have it somewhere, but I'm not in a rush.
you don't seem to be in one either. Wink

spoolin01 wrote:
I remember reading this thread a few months back, and being interested in this mod. I even bought a couple of X2 CPUs to try. Since then I've found out a couple of things - adding the second surface mount RAM connector would be about impossible for DIY, even if you could find it, and besides, it's already been done... by HP! The HP GT7720 (XPe) and GT7725 (Linux) use this chipset (mobo looks close to identical), with a dual core 2.3GHz Turion X2 Ultra (and a fan), and dual channel memory. Externally, the boxes are identical, including the I/O panel. Power supply is 19V (90 or 120W), however. Video is integrated HD 3200.

(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)

Last edited by momo on Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Just returned from vacation and read through your posts. The mini PCIe slot on the underside is where HP put the wireless card. I don't know if it will run a SATA drive. There is also one part number that always appears to have the PCIe connector, even if not OEM wifi. The other P/Ns don't have the connector installed unless they were OEM wifi. I can look up that P/N if you want it.

HP riser cards come up often on eBay, you may be able to find the one from the T5730 module if you watch for it. The only one I have left is from a new boxed unit, which is why it is priced where it is. At one time there seemed to be a lot of these expansion modules available after the T5700 line had gone end-of-life, so I'm sure they'll pop up on ebay from time to time.

An expansion module was also available for the GT series, and had a full length PCIe connector. I don't know enough about the technology to offer more information than that. Perhaps that one would work with the T5730. I don't recall if that module was similarly offered with both PCI and PCIe risers. That might be a clue whether they used the same wiring scheme.

If you want the dual RAM, the GT7720/7725 is closely related but has dual RAM. They come with the Turion X2 ZM-84 CPU and fan, but you can install the Sempron CPU if you want fanless (the reverse of the momo upgrade).
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Awesome valuable info you gave... Thanks..!!! :) Reply with quote

That's some great info, spoolin01. Smile

If they actually had a full-sized PCIe riser-card, I'm wondering if it was x16 or x4 , if not just x1 with a large empty area not connected.

Yeah...if I was going to use the Mini-PCIe on the bottom of the motherboard, I would need it to support at least a SATA II and would be nice to also have a USB 3.0 connector.

If no USB 3, at least the SATA. otherwise it's of no use to me, to add that connector.
By the way, that Mini-PCIe connector is available at DigiKey.

As for the 2nd RAM socket... I remember finding a distributor, who had them in-stock for around $8 + shipping (I'm checking my backups of old data)

I'm not going to buy another ThinClient with that 2nd RAM, just to have 2 sockets... LOL... It's crazy enough to add a socket... Smile .. But buying a new TC just cause it's on there already, is way to crazy for me.

With a Hot-Air SMD soldering device, putting the socket on the board is WAY easier, than removing one.
I may not even need to remove the board. Solder paste & resin are easy to work with, once you know the technique of using it.

spoolin01 wrote:
Hi Guys,
Just returned from vacation and read through your posts. The mini PCIe slot on the underside is where HP put the wireless card. I don't know if it will run a SATA drive. There is also one part number that always appears to have the PCIe connector, even if not OEM wifi. The other P/Ns don't have the connector installed unless they were OEM wifi. I can look up that P/N if you want it.

HP riser cards come up often on eBay, you may be able to find the one from the T5730 module if you watch for it. The only one I have left is from a new boxed unit, which is why it is priced where it is. At one time there seemed to be a lot of these expansion modules available after the T5700 line had gone end-of-life, so I'm sure they'll pop up on ebay from time to time.

An expansion module was also available for the GT series, and had a full length PCIe connector. I don't know enough about the technology to offer more information than that. Perhaps that one would work with the T5730. I don't recall if that module was similarly offered with both PCI and PCIe risers. That might be a clue whether they used the same wiring scheme.

If you want the dual RAM, the GT7720/7725 is closely related but has dual RAM. They come with the Turion X2 ZM-84 CPU and fan, but you can install the Sempron CPU if you want fanless (the reverse of the momo upgrade).

(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)

Last edited by momo on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew how to do that kind of soldering. I've suspected many of the dead thin clients simply had bad RAM slots. I tried a heat gun to resolder but it just melted the connector.

I don't know enough about PCIe to tell much by looking. I've planned to install a vid card and use a utility to check how many lanes it's running, but haven't done it yet. Too many other projects, and there are better (lower power draw) 'high-performance' TC options these days. One day I'll also check if the risers can be switched to the T5730. I've got several of the GT expansion modules still to get rid of.

The GT series is similar vintage to the T5730. They don't come up often on eBay but since no one seems to know about them, they don't attract much competition. They are fairly powerful for an older TC, but also fairly high wattage, around 50 at idle if I recall. They were sold with a 120W adapter.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an SMD hot-air soldering device similar to this one...
http://sra-solder.com/product.php/6368/26/aoyue_8032a_hand_held_digital_hot_air_gun

But there are better options now, like this one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATTEN-AT858D-SMD-220V-Hot-Air-Rework-Station-Handheld-Hot-Gun-/221311756729

There's also THE HOT AIR PENCIL
http://zeph.com/pap.html

All use special tips that direct the hot-air to just go over the pins being worked with, by actually making the shape of the tip hot air output the size and shape of the package being soldered.

You can google ... hand held hot-air smd soldering to see more devices! and here's a small YouTube video on soldering with it. I'm sure more exist on YouTube too... Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uiroWBkdFY

And this one, actually using a hot-air tip...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z0IiuQ35HU

Usually, for soldering ON a component, you don't always need the tip to "fit" the number of pins, as that last video showed.

Unsoldering usually is easier when all the pins are heated at the same time, to simply lift the part from the board, after the solder is melted.
But lifting too soon can lift the pad traces too... It's an acquired skill, after several uses, to feel how it's done.

spoolin01 wrote:
I wish I knew how to do that kind of soldering. I've suspected many of the dead thin clients simply had bad RAM slots. I tried a heat gun to resolder but it just melted the connector.

I don't know enough about PCIe to tell much by looking. I've planned to install a vid card and use a utility to check how many lanes it's running, but haven't done it yet. Too many other projects, and there are better (lower power draw) 'high-performance' TC options these days. One day I'll also check if the risers can be switched to the T5730. I've got several of the GT expansion modules still to get rid of.

The GT series is similar vintage to the T5730. They don't come up often on eBay but since no one seems to know about them, they don't attract much competition. They are fairly powerful for an older TC, but also fairly high wattage, around 50 at idle if I recall. They were sold with a 120W adapter.

(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: *** New edits in first post *** Reply with quote

See important additional info, and a photo of my system in the first post.

(Edits on, July 11th, 2014, photo, .... July 5th, 2014, additional important info)

(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)
reflexdarky
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: HP thin client Reply with quote

hey guys great to see other modders out there working on this great thin client system.

@momo did you find the pcie mod at mod2 tab on the parkytowers.me.uk website.

The mods i have carried out on my 2 clients was a cpu upgrade (tl58) ram and Flash dom

i also modded the riser unit to accept a pcie graphics card

I used openelec the best linux distro for running xbmc.

I have also found i did not have to bother with a power supply mod the original works no problem even when the system is under load eg playing 1080p video.

My next ideas for the system are to some how embed a IR controller sensor to the front of the device, Add the second memory slot and installing a bigger hard disc to store local media.

something i have found was when running windows the cpu speed would never go up from 800mhz but when running openelec the speed would rise up and down when required could this be a bios limitation

Another idea i had was also seeing if any other options could be unlocked on the bios but i have hit a brick wall with that at the moment
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: HP thin client Reply with quote

@reflexdarky
The mod2 tab was added way afterwards.

I posted there, with my original Mod, around 2 years ago, but figured-out the PCIe Mod later. I told the owner of that site about it, but he must have had another mod'r with the similar idea already, and started the "Mod2" tab with it.
As for your power supply being "OK" for now...
It all depends on how close to the original 50-watts you are.
If the TL-58 CPU doesn't take as much power as the TL-68 (as mine is) you may have a bit more wattage margin, but if you start adding stuff, like a new hard drive, or other USB devices, that's when you may go over the 50-watts of the original PSU.

I've noticed the company selling my PSU also has a PSU that's 8 amps (around 100 watts) and it uses the same connector as the ThinClient has now. So no mod of the connection for it is needed, as my 16-Amp (192 watts) PSU needed. Wink

It's strange hearing windows didn't let the CPU go higher than 800MHz
What windows OS did you try?
I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit) w/ the Media Center add-on, to play my 1080 content & record from my Divico USB HDTV Tuner.

If I start to edit AVCHD video, taken from my camcorder, the both CPU cores come on and the CPU speed increases. (As well as the heat generated by the CPU Smile )
Could it be your new TL-58 CPU may be defective?

I wanted to add the second RAM as well, but haven't looked thru my backups of where I originally found the place selling the proper socket for it.
I've been too busy with other stuff so far, but I know I have that info, I just hope the distributor is still in business, and still has the socket to sell.

YES... ...I agree, ... The BIOS is the final mod needed to be "cracked".
There must be other hidden features in it that were shut-down by HP when they made these ThinClients. That's going to be the hardest to get info of...and if you screw-up the BIOS, you can "kiss the ThinClient good-bye"

Is your Linux OS 64-bit ?
If not, you're missing out on the extra speed and "fluid motion" it creates with video playback.

By-the-way...what PCIe graphics card did you use?
Nothing too fancy, I hope. Smile

reflexdarky wrote:
hey guys great to see other modders out there working on this great thin client system.

@momo did you find the pcie mod at mod2 tab on the parkytowers.me.uk website.

The mods i have carried out on my 2 clients was a cpu upgrade (tl58) ram and Flash dom

i also modded the riser unit to accept a pcie graphics card

I used openelec the best linux distro for running xbmc.

I have also found i did not have to bother with a power supply mod the original works no problem even when the system is under load eg playing 1080p video.

My next ideas for the system are to some how embed a IR controller sensor to the front of the device, Add the second memory slot and installing a bigger hard disc to store local media.

something i have found was when running windows the cpu speed would never go up from 800mhz but when running openelec the speed would rise up and down when required could this be a bios limitation

Another idea i had was also seeing if any other options could be unlocked on the bios but i have hit a brick wall with that at the moment

(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)
T5735
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momo I just wanted to thank you for all of the work you have done putting up this information about the 5730 series thin clients. I have a few of these and have been playing around with them looking online for things I can do to modify them to make them more usable and your post is the best one on the internet by far. I would like to make one small contribution that I have found so far and that is the Broadcom BCM70012 HD decoder card. I bought one of these for the mini pci-e slot on the bottom of the motherboard and it works great with windows 7. It totally eliminates the need for the expansion module in order to put in a full sized graphics card. I tried running several builds of XBMC by themselves on 5735 and found that none of the linux based distros have graphics drivers for the on board Radeon X1250 that work. All of the installs ended up being all artifact-ed. I ended up using a cheap 44 pin to zif adapter and using a ipod 4200rpm 80gb 1.8" hard disk that would fit inside the case and putting a full install of windows 7 on it and it works great now. It will eat any media I throw at it at full 1080p with the little broadcom card. My next project if I can find a expansion module for a reasonable amount is going to see if I can get a cable card tuner to work with this setup. If I can it will make this little thin client essentially a defacto set top cable box/dvr that I don't have to pay $25 a month for. Again thanks for all of your hard work and posts here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190869057072?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spam ... or maybe not..?

Last edited by Pilot on Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Thanks for your addition of mods Reply with quote

@T5735

Thanks for the extra mods info. It's always nice to learn of other cards to put into the T5730/T5735 ThinClient.

Did your T5735 already have the Mini-PCIe socket installed on the bottom of the motherboard? My T5730 didn't, and at the time of my mods I didn't even know it had the circuit board trace pattern to add one. Smile

That's why I went with the expansion module... It was easier at that time.

Finding the expansion kit for this is getting harder, so knowing another way to install a PCIe card is always good to know. Wink thanks for the info.

I searched for other sellers of this card, and found these as well ...

2 sellers From Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Broadcom-BCM70012-BCM970012-BCM70010-Crystal/dp/B009VY453E

http://www.amazon.com/Broadcom-BCM70012-BCM970012-BCM70010-AW-VD904/dp/B00B6P71OQ

And another from eBay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BCM70012-BCM970012-BCM70010-Crystal-HD-Decoder-/180733336762

For anyone needing the 52 position (pin) Mini-PCIe socket,
The JAE brand socket is available from DigiKey.
Doing a search on their site brings up many JAE parts... But only several 52-pin sockets are listed.

I'm not sure which of them will work on the ThinClient, but here is the link for anyone needing it...

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?FV=fff40016%2Cfff80093&k=JAE+connectors&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=0&pbfree=0&rohs=0&quantity=&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=100

And one link example of just one of those 52-position sockets is...

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MM60-52B1-G1-R850/670-2516-6-ND/2504807

I hope all this info helps someone, more than confusing them. Smile
(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilot wrote:
spam

Hi Pilot
I figured the same thing...that's why I listed other sellers of this card, just in case it was a SPAM post by that last poster.
(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)
T5735

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 5 of them from work and 4 of them had the mini pci-e slots on the bottom. The way to tell if they have them is if on the end of the thin client there is a little hole towards the back covered with a rubber grommet then it will have a mini pci-e slot on the bottom of the motherboard as that slot was intended for the optional wireless card and the hole on the side of the thin client is where the antenna went that was attached to that card.

Last edited by T5735 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
T5735

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo wrote:
Pilot wrote:
spam

Hi Pilot
I figured the same thing...that's why I listed other sellers of this card, just in case it was a SPAM post by that last poster.

Heh well that seller is in China and I am in South Carolina so that spam would have to travel a long way. Very Happy That was just the cheapest place I had found them and where I ordered mine from. You can also use the newer version the BCM970015 with the adapter plate as well but it is more expensive. I used one of those in my T5740 that I use as a XBMC streaming box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 3 of 49

Jump to: