magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New iMac/Unexpected quit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Using magicJack on a Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CO_Steve
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: New iMac/Unexpected quit

I have been running mj on a mini (10.6.4) for a month with no issues. Yesterday I bought an iMac. I cloned the entire disk of the mini onto the iMac and it runs everything perfectly except mj. When I launch mj the PHONE disk icon disappears and I get a Magicjack has quit unexpectedly error box. Three hours with tech support I now know how to reformat using disk utilities, download and run the update. They even took over my machine and did the same things, no improvement. Chat session ended without warning and I went to bed. It still works on my old mini and my son's iMac (older model than my new one) What next?
reyrios
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject:

It does not work for me either. I am running the same macmini for over a year. The new update firmware must have issues. Their support is useless, so we will have to wait until they figure it out.
GuyOnTheAir
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject:

There may be problems with the update, CO_Steve, however, I rather comment on your method of upgrading...

IMHO, it's generally unwise to just clone a disk from one machine and put it into another machine, even among Macs. Drivers are different, hardware is different, and I've found you'll often run into strange issues...

If you have a chance to do it over, use the Mac Migration Wizard when you're setting up your new iMac. It'll let you plug in your Mac mini, and transfer all those valuable programs and information to your new machine, without also transferring things and parts of the OS that it doesn't need. I do believe you'll be happier with that outcome.

Also, try creating a new user profile on your iMac and try running your magicJack again. Does it work in this blank profile? Did you have the opportunity to try it on your iMac before you put in the cloned disk?

Good luck. I'm having no trouble with the mJ update on my iMac.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
neo2121

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject:

what kind of mini mac was it did it have a dual core? If not i wonder if there is an issue with magicjack and the 64 kernel. I know it would be a PIA but you might try creating a small partition or if you have a spare USB hard drive or something and do a fresh install to the USB hard drive and see if you still have the problem. My mac is a 2006 black macbook....how much do you want for the old mini ?
CO_Steve
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject:

Well, I did a clean install of OS 10.6.4 and after several hours (as opposed to the ten minutes the clone takes) I have the same problem.

My old mini is a 1.83GHz Core 2 duo. Seems like they're going for about $400 but haven't done a lot of research yet.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Ugh. Sorry to hear this, Steve.

Do other devices work through your USB on your mini okay? How about devices which require power? Have you tried a powered USB hub? Have you tried the different USB ports on the mini, and get all the same stuff?

Did you try the different profile?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CO_Steve
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject:

the mini works perfectly, it's the new iMac that is having problems.

I tried different usb ports. I have two powered usb hubs but have discovered neither functions properly. One doesn't pass usb signals and one doesn't supply any power. I've ordered another to try. I did try a clean user, same.

I have an external drive with 10.6 and 10.5 on it in bootable partitions. Tried all those, no better.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. I got confused, sorry. Meant to try different ports on the iMac.

So you have two USB hubs, and neither work? Do they/did they work on the mini?

You might have something wrong with the iMac USB ports, almost sounds like to me...
CO_Steve
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Well, I suppose it's possible but everything else works in the usb ports. Both of the hubs have been kicking around for a while. One of them seems to pass signals fine but I have a small desk light that is usb powered. The light doesn't work on that first hub. The other hub will power the light but nothing plugged into it will work at all. I should have a new hub in a day or two.

It doesn't seem like a usb problem anyway. I can see the device, use Disk Util to reformat, etc. It's the software that crashes as soon as it runs.
applemagic
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject:

I too had similar issues when I bought my MJ a few months ago. I surmised that MJ is a bit of a power hog, so I moved some of my usb devises to a second powered hub leaving only a couple of things in the same hub I use with my mj and a usb headset. The things on the same hub are usually off and I don't use mj when I use these other devices. Under these circumstances it operates properly most every time.

You can check System Profiler (Apple menu>About This Mac>more info button) to see what the computer sees attached to each usb port. Each device when selected will show amount of current available as well as how much is needed. Each hub should have at least 500mA going to it.
CO_Steve
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject:

I'm running a new hub. MJ in hub, MJ in cpu, everything else in hub, doesn't matter, still fails.
applemagic
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject:

CO_Steve. I understand your frustration, but I can't help but think that there is either an issue with your:
    a) usb ports either the hub or the iMac itself (doubtful)
    b) the mj after all the reformatting you and mj technical did, it could be messed up
    c) or the software itself (Are you using 2.00.554f ?)
If you feel none of these are the cause and you have confirmed that mj is getting adequate power (See screenshot from my setup in System Profiler.) than I think you might want to consider going with Google Voice. Smile
CO_Steve
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject:

Where do you find the software rev number?

I would agree with everything you said except it still works on my mini and my son's iMac.

BTW, I've already tried Google phone, works fine but of course you can't call in.
applemagic
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject:

Do a get info on the mj application to see the rev #. I downloaded the update from mj's site and keep it in my applications folder. When I want to use the mj, I plug the dongle in and then start up from the application in the application folder; NOT from what pops up on the screen which more often than not doesn't even pop up.

As for GV, you can use it to call out, but you have to do it from the Google Voice site where you'll see a small green icon in the upper left corner that says call. It then calls your number first and once you pick up calls the number you entered.
applemagic
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Slight Revision to previous post

With the previous version of MJ beta for the Mac, I kept it in my Applications folder. It seems what is downloaded now (v2.00.554f) is an updater which updates the version kept in the user account, so I now use an alias to that file. For reference the path is .magicJack/Softphone/magicJack. Note that this is in a hidden folder kept in the user's account.
CO_Steve
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject:

I finally got it to work. Tech support had sent me the remove script and it didn't help but I started over again by formatting the device, running the remove script, and then launch and it worked. Who knows.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject:

Glad you got it working finally!
neo2121

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject:

do you still have the remove script? If so could you please e-mail it to me?

[email protected]
CO_Steve
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject:

http://upgrades.magicjack.com/tools/CompleteUninstall.sh

They really hide this stuff well on the website.
jcjacinto
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject:

How did u install the remove script?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Using magicJack on a Mac All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: