magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
habakuk tibatong
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: New here Reply with quote

Hi to all,

just wanna introduce myself. My name is Axel and I'm living in the Chicago Area.

I was looking around for differetnt infos about the MJ, found this Forum, and thought it yould be a good idea to check here too.

I do not have a MJ yet, but it will be the first on my to-do-list tomorrow and I bet I'll be back with a few questions Smile. One question I already have .... I will connect the MJ to my current Laptop which is wireless connected with a Linksys Router. Hopefully it will be no problem. Here the question: What will happen, when I will connect to another Laptop. I Will buy one next month and and it would be good to know if there are any difficulties then with registration on a new device.

Thanks in advance and until soon

Axel
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: New here Reply with quote

habakuk tibatong wrote:
Hi to all,

just wanna introduce myself. My name is Axel and I'm living in the Chicago Area.

I was looking around for differetnt infos about the MJ, found this Forum, and thought it yould be a good idea to check here too.

I do not have a MJ yet, but it will be the first on my to-do-list tomorrow and I bet I'll be back with a few questions Smile. One question I already have .... I will connect the MJ to my current Laptop which is wireless connected with a Linksys Router. Hopefully it will be no problem. Here the question: What will happen, when I will connect to another Laptop. I Will buy one next month and and it would be good to know if there are any difficulties then with registration on a new device.

Thanks in advance and until soon

Axel

Hi Axel,

Welcome to the forum! Normally if your computer system is in good working order and has sufficient band width (>80K) then you will find MJ works very well.

Virtually all the problems, users encounter, stem from have one or more things not set correctly on their computers/networks to begin with. There are some settings in your computer networking which can improve the way VOIP works. These are for the most part applicable to any VOIP not just MJ.

If you want to get a jump on things before you buy your MJ try going to one of the VOIP test sites and test your network connections there. One of them is http://testyourvoip.com If your test score is around 4 then you should have good success with MJ or any other VOIP; if not let folks here know what the report looks like and perhaps some setting changes can be recommended to to improve your score there.

As for portability, the first time you plug MJ into computer it will load some software and lead you to the registration process. The registration process will need a working email address and you will select your own phone number etc. The address you are asked for there will be used to send 911 help if you call 911 from your MJ so it is important to put your physical address and not a PO Box etc in there if you need 911 help in the future. You can always log into your MJ account and change that address later if you move or even if your temporarily at say a hotel etc.

Usually within seconds you'll get a dial tone and away you go. An email to confirm the email address you supplied is working will be sent and needs to be replied to but that is about it. It really is that easy most of the time.

Now after you have registered the MJ this first time you do not have to do that again no matter what computer you plug the MJ into. So when you get your new laptop just plug the MJ into it and it should load up and start working you don't have to go through the registration process again since the MJ is registered to you and not to a a specific computer.

Do be careful about the 911 address though; it would be sad to need help, call 911 for help and be steered to the wrong 911 system, adding to the confusion at just the wrong time.

If you read the information here in the forum it can seem scary; but just realize that most of the things talked about here are for the techies who like to optimise anything and have little to do with the average user.

Do test your VOIP by using one of the sites like the one above a gave you the link to and if it reports you have a decent connection then I am pretty sure youll find MJ works like a champ for you.
habakuk tibatong
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello 'VaHam'

thanks a lot for your reply to my 'beginner'-question. It definitely helped me to make my decision a 100% to buy the MJ. The test-score was exactly 4.0, so I think everything is fine, I better hurry before the MJ's are all sold Laughing.

What you said about the technical things, well .... may be I'm not a technician, but I'm always interested in things making the performance of the MJ or whatever better and I'm always thankful for some good advices, tips and tricks.

Regards Axel
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

habakuk tibatong wrote:
Hello 'VaHam'

thanks a lot for your reply to my 'beginner'-question. It definitely helped me to make my decision a 100% to buy the MJ. The test-score was exactly 4.0, so I think everything is fine, I better hurry before the MJ's are all sold Laughing.

What you said about the technical things, well .... may be I'm not a technician, but I'm always interested in things making the performance of the MJ or whatever better and I'm always thankful for some good advices, tips and tricks.

Regards Axel

Your welcome Axel!

Don't get me wrong I dearly love playing with hardware and software. Hang around here long enough and you may get hooked on HP Thin Clients like many of the rest of us. Now that there is some fun stuff Laughing

I think you'll find plenty of helpful friendly folks here willing to and able to help you if you need it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: