magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NetTalk Institutes a 3000 minute cap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: NetTalk Institutes a 3000 minute cap Reply with quote

NetTalk has instituted a cap of 3000 minutes. This reduction from 5000 to 3000 minutes would be bad enough if it only meant your calls stopped for the duration of the month. However in their wisdom Rolling Eyes they cancel your free call service entirely so if you wish to continue with them you have to pay by the minute from then on.

IMHO in this time of heavy competition with MJ+ this was about the stupidest business move I have heard of. Has their proximity to Dan rubbed off on them or something?

From now on NetTalk users have to watch their backs to make sure they do not exceed the new cap or loose their free calling.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus if I remember correctly, NetTalk counts INCOMING and OUTGOING calls toward your monthly cap.. Where as MJ only counts OUTGOING calls towards your monthly cap ( whatever the hell that is).

I agree, dumb move on their part now with MJ plus out there....

So instead of "this is Magic and this is Jack" they have "this is Dumb and this is Dumber"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I found interesting was that after a week of complaining in their forum they ended up posting that the reduction (40% btw), will only effect 1% of their users. Well let that 1% lose their service without others having to worry about going over the new lower limit. Makes no sense. Maybe if they are actually getting ready to finally offer their TV service they are worried about their network capacity.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IMHO in this time of heavy competition with MJ+ this was about the stupidest business move I have heard of. Has their proximity to Dan rubbed off on them or something?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Apparently, Dan's insanity finally boiled over and spilled south over two county lines.
Nettalk is definitely in suicide mode.
I never use that many minutes, not even 3000, but this is smells worse than Jack's and Magic's poop. Hey, just let's send the 1% to hell because we can.
BTW it is amazing that all those guys count the toll free numbers as regular minutes while they make good money on them.
I was considering getting Nettalk for my mom in april one the second MJ subscription expires but that's off the table even if it means that i will be losing that number. For nher calling needs when she travels, Localphone.com subscription will do the trick with costs not more than Nettalk. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
stevereno
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have confirmed with netTALK Support that their new policy is you cannot exceed 3000 minutes in a month AND, more importantly, if you ever do, even just once, that you will lose all free calling FOREVER and your only option at that point will be a pay-per-minute plan.

Pretty slick, huh? Evil or Very Mad
conniemadagain
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this as I had no idea ...

They just lost one of my two nettalks which was to expire on 12/9 ...

My free MJ+ is now my new 2nd line ...

Laughing
mcx151
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm....

you cannot exceed 3000 minutes in a month so... that's 3000/60= 50 Hours / 30 days = 1.6 hours per day. How the heck can you NOT exceed that?

I guess I like to talk and could exceed 1.6 hours on the phone a day. Not every day but on the weekends sometimes I'll make up for it and spend 3 hours caching up on friends and family. I could see myself going over this cap real easy.

What is MJ's CAP? Maybe they are getting hit with higher network issues? Is there some sort of minutes used timer built in? I remember MJ had issues when MJ didn't hang up properly happened to me a few times.

1.6 hours a day doesn't sound right and I was planning on getting this after my MJ sub expired next year. Sigh... Might look into MJ+ ... but it looks gay... I wish it was a nice box. It looks like crap. How the hell did something that stupid pass? Looks like they just wrote some new code and stuck a USB AC into the port. I dunno, you'd just think they could have figured out a better way to make it look cool.
Llamaman
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm never on the phone that much and neither is my wife, but why take the chance? Especially when you count incoming calls and any time on hold for technical assistance and such. Just one month of higher than normal use and you're done?

Thanks for posting this. I was considering Nettalk for a while and am now real happy that the MJ+ came out. Smile
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llamaman wrote:
I know I'm never on the phone that much and neither is my wife, but why take the chance? Especially when you count incoming calls and any time on hold for technical assistance and such. Just one month of higher than normal use and you're done?

Thanks for posting this. I was considering Nettalk for a while and am now real happy that the MJ+ came out. Smile

Well MJ has it's limits also they just don't publish what they are.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. I was considering Nettalk for a while and am now real happy that the MJ+ came out

I keep one MJ active for the time being but quite frankly, with GV being FREE
till at least end 2012 there is simply no reason to sign up for either MJ nor Nettalk. My call quality with Obi/GV is way better than MJ.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
Llamaman wrote:

TRUE!! but MJ only has limits on it's OUTGOING, not both incoming and outgoing like NT. I would imagine those can add up very quickly that way!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
VaHam wrote:
Llamaman wrote:

TRUE!! but MJ only has limits on it's OUTGOING, not both incoming and outgoing like NT. I would imagine those can add up very quickly that way!!

Your right Joe and I have not really heard of many folks being canceled by MJ other than one or two who to me seemed to be using them for call centers.

Counting only outgoing and non 800 calls seems to me to be more fair since income is derived from those calls for the provider; but there are lots of companies out there who do it one way and others who do both.

I still like to know what the rules of the road are; but I will have to say this does not seem to have been a big problem for normal MJ users.
se7ensnakes
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: net talk is a scam Reply with quote

I had used net talk for 4 months and all of a sudden i could not call out. When i called them they told me i had exceeded the 3000 minute limit. This is double speak...it is either unlimited or 3000 minutes a month, one or another NOT BOTH. Anyway i am now looking at obi or mj.

Someone should sue net talk for false advertisement
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in their T.O.S.
MJ has it own limitations as well as blocking quite a few exchanges and numbers including the WHOLE state of Alaska....
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway i am now looking at obi or mj
It is in their T.O.S

It is in their TOS. However, they suddenly changed them even for their existing customers and number of people got a lifetime service ban for exceeding the limit which includes also incoming calls and 800 calls( moneymakers for Nettalk) . False advertisement? Without a doubt, but these days nobody takes that seriously. I trained my brain so that it immediately shuts down and reboots whenever I see or hear any advertisement, which so far saved me a lot of desperately needed money.
Try Obi/GV and I bet you will never look back.
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: