magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Nettalk Duo Vs Magicjack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: MJ vs NetTalk vs OBi Reply with quote

pjwlk wrote:
VaHam wrote:
Google Voice began offering outgoing calling some time ago via their Google chat. So you can sign up for that and play for free.

Would you know off hand if GV can port MJ phone numbers? I know they don't do land lines but my MJ number is the same exchange as cell phones in my area. - Thanks!

If you really need to keep your MJ number and GV won't port it I have heard of others first porting their land line number to a throw away cell phone and then port from the throw away to GV.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: MJ vs NetTalk vs OBi Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
If you really need to keep your MJ number and GV won't port it I have heard of others first porting their land line number to a throw away cell phone and then port from the throw away to GV.

Thanks for the great advice. It wouldn't be an issue if the wife and family hadn't beaten me half to death already over changing our home number a few times. I don't know how much more I can take...lol.

I may just just play with the Obi110 with GV and later forward my MJ number if it works out well. Porting the home number to a PAYG cell and then to GV sounds like a viable option.

The only irritation so far would be that I can't disable or change the ring count for the GV voice mail so my answering machine can pick up the calls. MJ (as do a lot of other VOIP providers) has the same restriction for some reason.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ vs NetTalk vs OBi Reply with quote

pjwlk wrote:

The only irritation so far would be that I can't disable or change the ring count for the GV voice mail so my answering machine can pick up the calls. MJ (as do a lot of other VOIP providers) has the same restriction for some reason.

Obviously each set-up is different, but for what it's worth, as long as my power stays on, I bypass both the GV and MJ voicemail systems. I have my MJ output plugged into a wall phone outlet which has the MJ ring on 3 phones, including the one with the answering machine. It also works plugged directly into the phone with the answering machine but I don't keep that in the computer room.
pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ vs NetTalk vs OBi Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Obviously each set-up is different, but for what it's worth, as long as my power stays on, I bypass both the GV and MJ voicemail systems.

My integrated answering machine has two settings 2 & 4 rings. Three rings is optimal for us to get around to consistently answering the phone. I wish that I could set MJ to 5 rings or disable it all together.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ vs NetTalk vs OBi Reply with quote

pjwlk wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
Obviously each set-up is different, but for what it's worth, as long as my power stays on, I bypass both the GV and MJ voicemail systems.

My integrated answering machine has two settings 2 & 4 rings. Three rings is optimal for us to get around to consistently answering the phone. I wish that I could set MJ to 5 rings or disable it all together.

When I call my GV number on my standalone OBi GV doesn't transfer to VM until ring 5.
Thunder
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always buy MagicRingforever a program which I use to set the number of rings to what ever I like. It costs $10.00 and is well worth it. At least to me anyways. You can get it from pcpphonesoft.com.
Comcast
pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder wrote:
You could always buy MagicRingforever a program which I use to set the number of rings to what ever I like.

I tried that program (which is free incidentally) and is was giving me all kinds of grief. I also considered Magicfeatures but that app uses double half-time rings instead of one standard ring which I don't think changes the time span, just the number or rings. So 3 Magicfeatures rings would be the same 1-1/2 standard rings which is too short for me.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjwlk wrote:

I tried that program (which is free incidentally) I tried that program (which is free incidentally) and is was giving me all kinds of grief. I also considered Magicfeatures but that app uses double half-time rings instead of one standard ring which I don't think changes the time span, just the number or rings. So 3 Magicfeatures rings would be the same 1-1/2 standard rings which is too short for me.

It may have been at one time. It has been $9.95 for a while from my visits to the site. And for what it's worth, I use MF and use the double ring feature and my answering machine kicks in after 3 (or maybe 4, not usually there when it goes to the machine) double rings, which takes the exact same length of time as the 3 (or 4) standard rings without it.

Edit: They do have a free trial on all their products.
pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
which takes the exact same length of time as the 3 (or 4) standard rings without it.

Thanks for the info nailguner. I guess the only concern I may have left is how well the MF will work on my Thin Client with its limited resources. I might give it a try after my vacation.

I'm still thinking quite seriously of playing around with either Obi110 or Asterisk and using voip.ms or something.

Any comments?
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjwlk wrote:
I guess the only concern I may have left is how well the MF will work on my Thin Client with its limited resources. I might give it a try after my vacation.

Here's 2 links to chats in here where it says it should/will:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack68828.html#68828

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack69283.html#69283
Thunder
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjwlk

You should try the magicringforever not the MF. I use the magicjackringforever on my thin client and if I turn off my answering machine my phone keeps ringing until I answer it. Here is something posted from the pcpphonesoft forum below.

Posted - 05/26/2011 : 19:54:26

In regards to the thin client setups where computer resources are minimal and leaving the MJ dialer open on the screen is not typically a concern, disabling the "Automatically Minimize Dialer on Hangup" option may buy you an additional second or so as the MJ dialer does not need to re-open itself on further incoming calls. If you want the phone to ring more frequently to get your attention, you can enable the "Double Ringing" feature.

The only working solution we are aware of that seriously gives you longer to answer the phone is the MagicRingForever Plugin.
Comcast
pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
I use MF and use the double ring feature and my answering machine kicks in after 3 (or maybe 4, not usually there when it goes to the machine) double rings, which takes the exact same length of time as the 3 (or 4) standard rings without it.

This is from the PhoneSoft website:

Double Ringing (for External Answering Machine Pickup)
::: Ringing is done in 3 second intervals instead of the standard 6 second intervals. Your phone will physically ring 7-8 times instead of 3-4 times before routing to voice mail to facilitate the use of external answering machines. This feature does not increase the voice mail timeout timer. For Selective Call Answering Machine Pickup use the Priority Call Ringing feature.

Is yours working differently than this?
pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder wrote:
The only working solution we are aware of that seriously gives you longer to answer the phone is the MagicRingForever Plugin.

Thanks Thunder, I haven't tried the MRF on my thin client but it was giving me a lot of grief on my desktop PC because we use multiple desktops one for the wife, and one for me. I could also never get it to start up again reliably after a reboot.

Speaking of reboot, my MJ keep switching over to the headset mode by itself about 4 or 5 times a week now. Checking the ap shows that it's still in handset mode oddly enough. I've taken to setting up a timer that kills the power everyday at 4am and reboots the system in an effort to get rid of this issue. MJ worked flawlessly for a long time on my TC but after the last upgrade I can't seem to shake this problem. It's pissing me off...
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjwlk wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
I use MF and use the double ring feature and my answering machine kicks in after 3 (or maybe 4, not usually there when it goes to the machine) double rings, which takes the exact same length of time as the 3 (or 4) standard rings without it.

This is from the PhoneSoft website:

Double Ringing (for External Answering Machine Pickup)
::: Ringing is done in 3 second intervals instead of the standard 6 second intervals. Your phone will physically ring 7-8 times instead of 3-4 times before routing to voice mail to facilitate the use of external answering machines. This feature does not increase the voice mail timeout timer. For Selective Call Answering Machine Pickup use the Priority Call Ringing feature.

Is yours working differently than this?

Kind of? I just did some test calls with and without the double-ring enabled. With it on, I'm getting 3 full double or 6 single rings, so I'm not getting the 7-8 rings they mention. With it turned off I'm getting 1 quick and 3 long rings.

With it enabled, the answering machine is picking up. But what surprised me is that with it off, it's going to the MagicJack voice-mail. I installed MF at the same time I plugged my MJ into the house to ring on the answering machine phone. So now I'm assuming it was doing that from the start and I didn't notice since I've had double-ring enabled on MF since I installed it.

On 4 test calls, 2 on each setting, from the time the phone rang in the house, until it got picked up by a voice-mail was either 17 or 18 seconds on all 4 tests. The PC PhoneSoft web-site says it should be going to voice mail at around 24 seconds, and with the almost 3 second lag I had from the first ring on the cell to the first ring at the house, I'm sort of close.

Regardless, I was not subjected to a 1 1/2 ring pick-up as you were concerned about.
pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
I just did some test calls with and without the double-ring enabled. With it on, I'm getting...

Thanks for all your investigative work. I appreciate the feedback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: