magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nettalk duo still good deal ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaytcsd
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Nettalk duo still good deal ? Reply with quote

Fry's has the Duo on sale for $40. I tried buying the MJ+ when it was on sale but MJ's website kept giving me error messages. I made a screen print of the error and tried to get MJ to give me the sale price but they refused.

I read numerous posts here but the 'fluff to stuff' ratio on actual quality is about 5000 to 1, and there don't seem to be any posts since last summer.

I like the idea of having my devices outside my LAN and not needing a PC on, that's why I'm looking at the Duo.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NetTalk's and MJ's services are roughly equivalent. The Duo has Wi-Fi built in, the MJ+ connects to router only via Ethernet (but MJ will soon have a new device out that will sport Wi_fi connectivity).

Try one out; if it doesn't work well for you then return it & try the other one.
jaytcsd
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 regular MJs so I'm familiar with their "service", like not being able to call some area codes due to Dan's routing schemes.

MJ works better than my voipo service, my DSL is from AT+T so I have a high upstream latency which causes numerous problems for voipo, MJ doesn't seem to be affected as much.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this straight:

You have 2 "standard" MJ devices, and they work better for you than Voipo. You now want to buy a MJ+, but they're going to charge you the regular price for it instead of some sort of discounted price and so you're thinking of buying a NetTalk Duo instead of the MJ+ to save a few bucks on the hardware purchase.

MY advice - Same as I already said in my previous post.

"Problem" (or, rather, lack thereof') solved.
lascott7
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NetTalk is great for calls and everything. It's just I have had problems with using their VideoPhone and with their tech support that always seems to be offline or if by phone takes hours to respond. I recommend a good voip service with great customer support. It seems like the cheap ones don't do that good.
nostrodamus
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest problem with NetTalk Duo is that the device itself is a piece of shit. And since it's proprietary, you can't do a damn thing about it.

I would probably stick with them if they would allow BYOD service, and I can't see why they don't allow such a thing. The phone service itself is great. I was with them for 2 years (technically still am until the middle of August, but the Duo is already unplugged and taking up space in a drawer next to my long dead MagicJack) but the short in the USB power port was too much of a headache.

Maybe the next generation of devices were better built, or maybe they weren't. But my old Linksys 2102 (which came with my long extinct SunRocket service, God knows how many years ago) still runs great, and I would have been more than happy to pay either NetTalk or MagicJack their $20/year to run their phone service on a decent piece of hardware.

Of course the one thing the 2102 won't do is Google Voice, so I decided to give the Obi thing a try. What the hell... Newegg had it on sale for $29 and even with a Google Voice porting charge on top of that, it's about the same price as what a NetTalk renewal would have been, and I won't have to unplug the goddamned thing and reset it every other day.

MagicJack's outspoken founder Dan Borislow on NetTalk

"It's a piece of shit. It has static. The call quality is pathetic. There's no phone numbers available, and it's run by a bunch of fly-by-nights with no assets. They'll be bankrupt soon. We're a real company with the best network and best software."

https://www.buzzbox.com/preview/nettalk-challenges-magicjack-gets-slammed-by-magicjack-founder/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: