magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gooney
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Need help Reply with quote

can all of you reach this number (801) 250-**** its my wifes work number

please test it because i only get a busy signal from MJ but my cell and neighbors landline works... i have tried some numbers from that area that starts with 250 and all dont work

Last edited by gooney on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
gary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rings fine from area code 202.
gooney

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gary wrote:

did it answer?
gooney

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gary wrote:

thanks for testing

nevermind it works if i dial the area code first (801) which is my local area code... thats funny

ok if you dial a local number and it gives you a busy signal... dial the area code plus the number... that should fix it. ill just put my wifes work number in my phone memory so i dont have to dial the whole 10 digits.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooney,

Lots of numbers with the same area code can still be long distance. i.e. Utah the whole state it 435. If I try to dial the next nearest town to me (50 miles away) (435) xxx It is a long distance call and I have to dial 435 xxx-xxxx. or I get the same thing you do.

On a regular land line you get the voice that says Sorry your call can not be completed as dial, you must dial a one first.

The only thing that pisses me off about that is if they know I need to dial the one first and they obviously do, why don't they just do it like MagicJack or my cell phone does. Duh!

PS - If the next nearest town is 50 miles away does that mean I live in the wilderness. One even stranger piece of trivia is MagicJack not only gave me a 435 area code but they also gave me a Saint George, UT prefix. Saint George, UT (my town) is a local call for MagicJack but on Grand Central they gave me a prefix for that town I mentioned that is 50 miles away "Cedar City" and it is a long distance call. So Grand Central while cool can get expensive for my friends.
gooney

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
gooney,

Lots of numbers with the same area code can still be long distance. i.e. Utah the whole state it 435. If I try to dial the next nearest town to me (50 miles away) (435) xxx It is a long distance call and I have to dial 435 xxx-xxxx. or I get the same thing you do.

On a regular land line you get the voice that says Sorry your call can not be completed as dial, you must dial a one first.

The only thing that pisses me off about that is if they know I need to dial the one first and they obviously do, why don't they just do it like MagicJack or my cell phone does. Duh!

PS - If the next nearest town is 50 miles away does that mean I live in the wilderness. One even stranger piece of trivia is MagicJack not only gave me a 435 area code but they also gave me a Saint George, UT prefix. Saint George, UT (my town) is a local call for MagicJack but on Grand Central they gave me a prefix for that town I mentioned that is 50 miles away "Cedar City" and it is a long distance call. So Grand Central while cool can get expensive for my friends.

but the number i call is not long distance... it is the next city(half a mile away), I call the number all the time with my cell and landline and dont need to dial 1 801 because it is a local number... only with MJ i have to dial 801 then the number. there is also the 252 prefix in that area(magna city) i can dial to those numbers without the area code with no problem... only the 250 prefix i need to dial the area code first.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooney,

Oh-well, what the hell do I know. But you are right in your case it is strange.
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember long distance calling is an old POTS concept and may not apply the same way for newer services such as cell phone and VOIP services which treat local calls the same as long distance calls (no extra charges.)

Most cell phone & VOIP carriers will try to mimic POTS dialing patterns as much as possible. For example, 1+ dialing is a POTS concept to identify the call is long distance. 1+ dialing is NOT required but provided for convenience to users.

When using cell phone & VOIP service, it's best to dial the whole 10 digits instead of dialing 7 digits to prevent mis-dialing due to cell phone/VOIP call server software issue Laughing Laughing Laughing
gooney

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikeMagic wrote:

When using cell phone & VOIP service, it's best to dial the whole 10 digits instead of dialing 7 digits to prevent mis-dialing due to cell phone/VOIP call server software issue Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'll be dialing 10 digits from now on with MJ to any number local or long so i can get used to it... 3 extra digits is no biggy Wink
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the phone book and recent numbers I hardly ever dial a number manually. For both MJ and my cell phone I always enter the ten digit number even when I know it is local. The only time I used a 7 digit number on MJ was to verify to myself that the number they gave me was really a local call for St. George, UT and that only because I didn't believe I had gotten luck enough to actually get an MJ local number. It is nice to win once in awhile. Wink
dbarber
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Southeastern Pennsylvania, we have been on 10 digit dialing for over a dozen years. You just get used to it. The "old" area code that used to cover the entire area (215) was changed to be Philadelphia only. The "new" area code for the suburban are (610) filled up so fast that they had to make a new area code (484) as an overlay. This is mostly taken up with cellular phones. Nobody knows where a call is going in the 484 area code.
In short, get used to it. Some of us have been living like this for a long time.

Donn

WinXP on Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep im used to 10 Digits....and im about 30 minutes from West Chester where dbarber is lol..
pEace
kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
curiousgeorge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/fix-for-strange-busy-dial-tone-when-dialing-out-t451.html

Maybe no one read my post Embarassed Rolling Eyes
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curiousgeorge,

Now don't go getting your feelings hurt, I read it and have been doing what you suggest from the day I read it. Smile

But most of us have to be nudged once in awhile or we forget the good things we have been told and go back to our old ways. Sort of like a cat left to it own devices, it goes feral quicker than you can wink.
curiousgeorge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha Laughing ha, yes HolmanGT this is true kinda makes you wonder why a FAQ would be helpfull. Wink
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curiousgeorge,

FAQ(s), Manuals - No self respecting Geek would ever resort to reading the manual, I think it is part of the "Geek Credo".
Lucky225
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
curiousgeorge,

FAQ(s), Manuals - No self respecting Geek would ever resort to reading the manual, I think it is part of the "Geek Credo".

RTFM!

Read The Fineprint in the Manual Razz
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTFM!

Direct violation of the Geek Credo. I left out the part about "with enough Twinkies and Jolt Cola a Geek is invincible" Laughing
gooney

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i just found out why i get the busy signal when i dialed the 7 digit local number 250-XXXX... 250 is the area code for British Columbia, Canada... Oops!
curiousgeorge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got this figured out and thanks for posting back on the results, peace out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: