magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need help setting up mj+ with my '06 imac 10.4.11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louied
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: need help setting up mj+ with my '06 imac 10.4.11 Reply with quote

I have a '06 imac 10.4.11 that I've had the old mj plugged into for several years, old Radio Shack cordless phone and motorola dsl modem from AT&T. No landline, just dsl service from AT&T.
Just bought a new mj+ because they said it could plug into your modem and work without the computer. Now they say I need a router. Can anyone help me figure out how to make this work?
kedwards
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to unplug your IMAC from your modem, but it should work. Just plug it back in (and plug your MJ into your USB port) when you want to use both at the same time. I suspect you will soon grow tired of doing this...

The MJ+ is really meant to be plugged into a router, not a modem. I am used to refurbished NETGEAR wireless routers selling for $10-15. I just installed one 2 days ago.

I always recommend adding a router, though I am a PC user, and have more experience with cable Internet service.

Keith
louied
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, kedwards. I have never had a router and don't even know what they do. Until now, I have always had the old mj plugged into the usb port on my imac, and the imac plugged into the dsl modem, which is connected by cable to a dsl filter plugged into the wall jack. I would like to use the new mj+ without the computer, so I can receive calls even if the computer is off. If I must get a router to do this, which model and brand should I get? Does it have to be compatible with a mac? Will the computer and the mj+ be plugged into it? If so, what happens to the dsl filter, modem and my internet connection? If the refurbished Netgear routers you mentioned would work, where can I get them? I also have everything plugged into a surge protector and would need help routing everything through it for protection from lightning. Still hoping you can help. Thanks.
kedwards
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your modem is provided by/rented from your DSL provider, you *could* check with them about an upgrade to a modem/router (single device).

I bought my Netgear router from http://1saleaday.com/ recently. It is still available for $14.99 from http://bensoutlet.com/products/netgear-wgr614 with free shipping.

It has a button to turn on/off the wireless function, if you don't want to deal with wireless hassles and security.

Routers of this time are pretty generic, and you should have no compatibility problems with your MAC.

My Netgear replaced a rather old (cheap) Dlink wireless router.

You should be able to plug everything into your surge suppressor. Yes, both your MAC and MJ+ would be plugged into the router via CAT5 cables. As far as the DSL filter box, I can't answer that question.

Hope this helps.

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: