magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My auto restart issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nighthawks
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: My auto restart issue Reply with quote

Here's my problem, the last few weeks we lost power for something like 5 seconds, real fast off and back on but it's enough to shut down my TC (I have the bios set to power on). And every time I have to reboot the TC after it's back running, it seem to be locked up, I can hear the dial tone from MJ, it will dial, you can hear the tones, but dead after that, no ring no nothing.

I have a monitor, keyboard and mouse on the TC, I move the mouse to bring the monitor out of powersave mode and nothing, and keyboard won't either. I have to hold the power button on the TC until it shuts down and wait for a min. then power it back up and everything is fine once it boots back up.

What I can't figure out is what is not working after the power outage and the TC powers back on, is the power outage so fast (5 sec.) that it just locks up the TC? And like I said I can't see anything because the monitor doesn't come out of powersaver mode. I ran teamviewer for while but when the TC has a problem you can't remote log into it, that's why I hooked up mon/keys/mouse.

Maybe the only way is to get a UPS setup on the TC.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
John
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found everything works better connected to a UPS,MJ computer,cable modem and wired/wireless router.

Even if I get a power failure the MJ phone,Itouch and Internet continue to run for almost an hour.
nighthawks
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt9876 wrote:
I found everything works better connected to a UPS,MJ computer,cable modem and wired/wireless router.

Even if I get a power failure the MJ phone,Itouch and Internet continue to run for almost an hour.

I'll look into the USP.
Thanks
John
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which of the power on modes are you using? One takes you to the last state and the other does a complete restart. I can't remember the exact wording in the bios and mine have no monitor or keyboards attached right now.
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure your router and modem are plugged into the UPS also.
nighthawks
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Be sure your router and modem are plugged into the UPS also.

Will do, just wonder what happens to the TC when it reboots after a power outage and I can't see what's going on, but after I do a manual reboot it comes up fine.
nighthawks
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: My auto restart issue Reply with quote

Here's a New problem I'm having.

We had a storm come in and lost power, when it came back up the TC came on and booted, MJ loaded and it also loads the webpage login screen and waiting for me to logon to continue, but I didn't.

I reboot the TC, when MJ loads it finds every ok, shows my number, loads my contacts list, all is fine, no login screen.

So why after the power failure when it comes up it wants me to login?

And when I do a reboot it loads fine?

Maybe is there a way to put a delay in MJ starting up, wait till winxp loads what it needs before it tries to load MJ, or is there a fix for this?

Just tring to figure this one out.

Thanks
John
Diggs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable or DSL?

Internet access is probably taking longer to come up than your thin client. Cable usually takes longer to come back than DSL. Usually, DSL never even goes out during a power outage.
nighthawks
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Cable or DSL?

Internet access is probably taking longer to come up than your thin client. Cable usually takes longer to come back than DSL. Usually, DSL never even goes out during a power outage.

Cable. is there a way to delay MJ? I'll have to research charter ISP and see if I can find out how long it takes once power is restored.

Thanks John
lychy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nighthawks wrote:
Diggs wrote:
Cable or DSL?

Cable. is there a way to delay MJ? I'll have to research charter ISP and see if I can find out how long it takes once power is restored.

Thanks John

Charter is a NIGHTMARE!
We used to be out of service ALL the time. Every week there would be a day or two of no service..sometimes for weeks at a time.

The same happened years ago with Cox Cable. I chose DSL when I moved, simply because the cable internet services are so unreliable where I live.
Diggs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has been the opposite. I've had Charter for more then 15 years or so. First just TV but for the last 8 years their Internet also. I've been amazed at their reliability. They have only been down 4-5 times in this entire time I've had them. Support also answers their own phones and speaks English as they are always in the US and usually in the same state. They aren't the cheapest, but no doubt the best around here.

Back to the question at hand. Charters connections can usually pull through a short power outage without a problem as they have UPSs (Uninterruptible Power Supplies) on all the switching gear. It's the long power outages that shut them down and then the whole system has to come back up when power is restored. I'm sure there is probably allot of DNS assignments and equipment initiations going on with their hardware that takes a bit. These are the times where I have to restart my thin client by hand. For all the other shorter power outs my thin client and Magic Jack and phones run right through them on a UPS. I have another UPS on my main computer and I have been on-line gaming right through a black out. How long you can go on depends on the size of UPS. I usually outlast Charter.][/img]
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My auto restart issue Reply with quote

nighthawks wrote:
Here's my problem, the last few weeks we lost power for something like 5 seconds, real fast off and back on but it's enough to shut down my TC (I have the bios set to power on). And every time I have to reboot the TC after it's back running, it seem to be locked up, I can hear the dial tone from MJ, it will dial, you can hear the tones, but dead after that, no ring no nothing.

I have a monitor, keyboard and mouse on the TC, I move the mouse to bring the monitor out of powersave mode and nothing, and keyboard won't either. I have to hold the power button on the TC until it shuts down and wait for a min. then power it back up and everything is fine once it boots back up.

What I can't figure out is what is not working after the power outage and the TC powers back on, is the power outage so fast (5 sec.) that it just locks up the TC? And like I said I can't see anything because the monitor doesn't come out of powersaver mode. I ran teamviewer for while but when the TC has a problem you can't remote log into it, that's why I hooked up mon/keys/mouse.

Maybe the only way is to get a UPS setup on the TC.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
John

Try disabling the power saver mode and make sure to go to power settings for both usb ports and network interface and disable power saving there as well. As someone else said make sure you use the bios option to boot fresh rather than to last state.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: