magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MJP stops working if not accessing web from PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ezusmanis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: MJP stops working if not accessing web from PC Reply with quote

I have an MJP setup for standalone operation plugged into a Linksys 3200 wireless router which is plugged into a Chrter cable modem. MAC address cloning is enabled.

Problem is that if I access the web on the PC, the MJP works but after about 2 hours of no activity on the PC, the MJP neither presents a dialtone or accepts calls (goes directly to voicemail). The moment I access the web on the PC, the MJP comes back to life.

Any suggestions?
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your mjp is losing its IP address to your router causing it
to lose its connconnection to mjs servers. Check your routers settings or try to assign a static IP address to your mjp.
ezusmanis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the router setup for a 7 day DHCP expiration but I'll try the static address as well.
ezusmanis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried setting up the MJP for a static address via the MJP account page but it didn't help. Interestingly, when I power-cycled the MJP, it grabbed up an address via DHCP!

I've read about setting up port forwarding for ports 5060 and 5070. Worth a try?
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing you say indicates that your problem is inside your MJ+. If "waking up" a different device on your network brings your MJ+ back to health, then you need to be looking at either your router or your cable modem/service.

First of all, "MAC cloning" is a red herring. This is just a ruse your router can use to fool Charter into granting an IP address without having to remarry it to your router.

There is one thing you don't mention: Where is your MJ+ getting its power from? If your MJ+ is getting power from your PC even though it is getting service connection directly from your modem, it is possible that your PC stops giving power to the MJ+ after 2 hours of being idle. That would certainly cause the behavior you describe.
ezusmanis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I partially agree that it isn't 100% the MJP. I say that because I have a Roku unit on the same network which is not exhibiting the same problem.

When the MJP goes stupid, the yellow light is on steady. I assume that's because it can no longer talk to the server.

The MJP is plugged in the SB AC adapter that came with the unit.

Does it make sent to plug the MJP into the computer and make sure it doesn't sleep/hibernate just to get the this working (I'm setting this up as my mother-in-law's primary phone)?

I still want it to work standalone so that the computer doesn't need to stay on.
Pilot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before using the MJ+ as a "stand alone unit" you have to set it up - connected to the computer.
ezusmanis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first received the MJ+, I connected it to the computer to configure it.
ezusmanis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone gotten the MJ+ to work reliably with a Linksys 3200 wireless router? If so, what's your setup?
ezusmanis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that it was completely unrelated to the PC. When I went to check it today, there were no lights lit on the MJ+. I tried another USB power adapter I had around and it came back to life. It's been 2 hours and it's still working!

It appears that I had a bad USB power adapter.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have read by now in so many other postings, this is a common situation with the MJ+. Most faulty power supplies produce insufficient power from the get-go. Yours is the first I've heard of that goes to sleep after two hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: