magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ + will not work except when plugged into the computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jcadig2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: MJ + will not work except when plugged into the computer Reply with quote

I have spent more than 7 hours online with MJ chat support and have answered the same questions over and over, tried the same fixes over and over and problem is still not resolved. They finally left me hanging on chat when I asked for someone higher up. Here is the situation in a nutshell:
My system is broadband cable, connected to broadband modem, with ethernet cable going to Belkin router, then ethernet cable connecting router to computer. Router also provides wireless signal to laptop computer.
My MJ+ works perfectly when plugged into the usb port on my computer, but when I try to use it without the computer, I get the dial tone and I hear the phone dialing, but then I get the error # 3002 message.
I have connected it with several different ethernet cables. I have connected it using all 4 of the ethernet jacks on my router and I have even connected it using the ethernet cable direct from the broadband modem, bypassing the router completely.
No matter how it is connected, the green light beside the ethernet jack on the MJ dongle comes on, but the indicator light on the router does not come on for whichever jack it is plugged into.

It seems very clear to me that the computerization in the MJ + is defective, and therefore it cannot operate without the computer, but the MJ tech support people want to take control of my computer remotely to mess around and the last time I let them do that, they screwed my whole system up. They want to mess with my router settings and I feel very strongly that the problem is not in my router but in the MJ itself.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Bill_P
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have received a defective unit but I recently upgraded to MJ+, plugged it in to my AT&T U-verse 2-Wire router, and it's been working flawlessly.
scotty200
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi so when u hooked it directly to your modem it still wold not work so i wold go back and tell them that the Ethernet port on the + is not working and that u wold like a replacement. but if they wont! did u get it from a store or on there web site? and are u still on the 30 day? then return it and get a other one

good luck with it and i hope i help in same way
Paul777

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... it sucks having to trouble shoot. I would return it as soon as you can. The frustratioon is not worth it.

I ordered two MJ+ and they work flawless without computer. I did need to plug them into laptop at first for initial setup and registration, but once that was done I hooked them up to ethernet cables and they are working great.
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have setup three of the MJ PLUS units and no problems.

I expect to install two more during the month of December. Smile

Last one is working good off AT&T DSL and Netgear router after upgrading the router to the latest firmware.
SIR****TMG
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is working just fine
Sturm348
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jcadig2 Ihaving the same problem via router? first my dongle wont light up and my router port light dosent come on?? But it works just fine USB. so im lost..also my router settings are open...dmz settings wide open...I spent 3 hrs on tech support these ppl have no idea...
old vic
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Same thing here. MJ worked all right for a couple of years. Made the mistake of buying MJ+. It doesn't work. Works fine when plugged into the USB port like old MJ, but useless otherwise.

Tech support is a bad joke. They kept me there for a couple of hours unplugging and replugging, turning of and on, blah, blah. Switching me from Lee to Jose to Mason, blah, blah. Result, nothing. And I can't get a refund from the b!?&^*#$?!! because I was too busy with work and holidays. They count the so-called "free trial" 30 days from when you order not from when you try to use the thing.

Everything else on my computer is working fine thank you, but the MJ+ is an expensive piece of toxic landfill.

If anyone can figure out a fix, hey great, but I am giving up on these crooks.

Vic
mjplus2000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a possible bad batch of rj45's. If the router isn't seeing the mj and all has been checked(cords, ports, etc.) then I would think you might have bad pins in the mj port itself. Take a good look inside the rj45 port on the mj. Make sure all the pins are bent up and have good bounce to them. If they're sitting too low the ethernet cable pins will not make good contact. Think of it as sending and receiving. If the mj lights up then it's receiving. If the router doesn't then it's not sending. Also, there should be 8 pins in the rj45 port. If it's missing any then it will not work. Another possibility is the style of rj45. It should be a rj45c style jack wich uses pins 1,2 and 4,5. A rj45s uses pins 1,2 and 7,8. A rj45x jack will loop pins 4 and 5 together thus rendering it useless for the mj plus.
dkmontgomery
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: I just posted in Tech Support before I saw this post. Reply with quote

I have been on line for most of the day with magicjack tech support via chat. I have had three or 4 different people to do a remote assist with my computer. It seems like they always disconnect with me after they have run me through the same old process! I go from one to the next!

My magicjack works great as long as it is hooked to the computer. When I plug it into the router, the phone gives me error 42, check your internet connection.

I have a 2701HG-B
AT&T 2Wire Gateway

It has 4 ethernet connections and also wireless capability.

I use centurylink Broadband internet. All my cables are good and the ethernet connections are good.

I am beginning to wonder if it has to do with my internet service provider? I really don't know. THe tech support also fooled with my gateway firewall ports. I have reset and upgraded the Magicjack, etc....

Still does not work apart from the computer. Any ideas are appreciated.
mjplus2000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I just posted in Tech Support before I saw this post. Reply with quote

dkmontgomery wrote:
My magicjack works great as long as it is hooked to the computer. When I plug it into the router, the phone gives me error 42, check your internet connection.

The only other obvious suggestion I would have is to plug it into a friend's or a neighbor's router. Atleast that would pretty much rule out a bad rj45 port in the mj. If it doesn't work on anyone elses router then it's bad. If it works then you're back to square one, but atleast you know it's your router or isp.
dkmontgomery
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I just posted in Tech Support before I saw this post. Reply with quote

mjplus2000 wrote:
dkmontgomery wrote:

The only other obvious suggestion I would have is to plug it into a friend's or a neighbor's router. Atleast that would pretty much rule out a bad rj45 port in the mj. If it doesn't work on anyone elses router then it's bad. If it works then you're back to square one, but atleast you know it's your router or isp.

Thanks for the advice! I am gonna try that out for sure and post back on my findings. I believe I wasted alot of time today with the old chat techies on Magic Jack!
mjplus2000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I just posted in Tech Support before I saw this post. Reply with quote

dkmontgomery wrote:
Thanks for the advice! I am gonna try that out for sure and post back on my findings. I believe I wasted alot of time today with the old chat techies on Magic Jack!

Unfortunately I'd have to agree with you on that one. I know they like to remotely access customer's computers for hardware and router issues? Not sure I would ever let them do that. I don't even think I'd let them run me through router settings. There's more info and fixes on this forum than mj support could ever give us. They can reset voicemail though. Shocked
dkmontgomery
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I just posted in Tech Support before I saw this post. Reply with quote

mjplus2000 wrote:
dkmontgomery wrote:

Unfortunately I'd have to agree with you on that one. I know they like to remotely access customer's computers for hardware and router issues? Not sure I would ever let them do that. I don't even think I'd let them run me through router settings. There's more info and fixes on this forum than mj support could ever give us. They can reset voicemail though. Shocked

lol! Very Happy
zaemliss
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Guide to MJ+ with routers Reply with quote

I found a guide here that got me up and running: http://zaxa.ca/magicjack-plus-not-working-plugged-directly-in-the-router-solved

Hope this helps.

Cheers
<Z>
dkmontgomery
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Guide to MJ+ with routers Reply with quote

zaemliss wrote:
I found a guide here that got me up and running: http://zaxa.ca/magicjack-plus-not-working-plugged-directly-in-the-router-solved

Hope this helps.

Cheers
<Z>

I am having trouble with this section. Cannot locate where to do this step. Any screen shots or help would be great.

My modem/router is an ATT 2701HG-B Gateway.

I have my MAC address as 6C:33:A9:42:5B:67

I found this info:
IP
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
IP Network: 192.168.1.0
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Range: 192.168.1.64 � 192.168.1.253
Allocated: 15
Remaining: 175
DHCP Timeout: 1440 minutes

Step 3 - Configure your router's DHCP service for address reservation
This guide is not comprehensive enough to provide information on the hundreds of routers and how to configure them but if you google:
<router model> assign ip to mac

You will find the information you need to follow this step.
Fpr example, a Linksys WRT54GL would require the searches in Google as:
linksys wrt54gl assign ip to mac

a) find the private network addressing you are using (should look like 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x or 172.16.x.x)
b) check to see what addresses your router's DHCP assigns (usually 100 -> 150. i.e.: 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150)
c) find the place where you can assign the MAC address to a specific IP address in your router's setup
d) assign an IP address OUTSIDE the DHCP allocation to the MAC address you found in step 2 (Ex: 6E:1D:00:07:FA -> 192.168.1.200)
e) your router may require a reboot before this takes effect

Any help with Step THREE would be great!
zaemliss
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Guide to MJ+ with routers Reply with quote

dkmontgomery wrote:
zaemliss wrote:

Hope this helps.

Cheers
<Z>

I am having trouble with this section. Cannot locate where to do this step. Any screen shots or help would be great.

My modem/router is an ATT 2701HG-B Gateway.

I have my MAC address as 6C:33:A9:42:5B:67

I found this info:
IP
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
IP Network: 192.168.1.0
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Range: 192.168.1.64 � 192.168.1.253
Allocated: 15
Remaining: 175
DHCP Timeout: 1440 minutes

Step 3 - Configure your router's DHCP service for address reservation
This guide is not comprehensive enough to provide information on the hundreds of routers and how to configure them but if you google:
<router model> assign ip to mac

You will find the information you need to follow this step.
Fpr example, a Linksys WRT54GL would require the searches in Google as:
linksys wrt54gl assign ip to mac

a) find the private network addressing you are using (should look like 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x or 172.16.x.x)
b) check to see what addresses your router's DHCP assigns (usually 100 -> 150. i.e.: 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150)
c) find the place where you can assign the MAC address to a specific IP address in your router's setup
d) assign an IP address OUTSIDE the DHCP allocation to the MAC address you found in step 2 (Ex: 6E:1D:00:07:FA -> 192.168.1.200)
e) your router may require a reboot before this takes effect

Any help with Step THREE would be great!

The fixed IPs seem to be a common problem with that combo model. I did a quick search and it looks like there is no interface to fix an IP if it did not assign it in the first place: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24606883-ATT-2701HG-B-Port-Forward-to-fixed-IP

I'd still give that article a look in case it sheds any light on the issue but I was only ble to get mine to work on the network AFTER I did the address reservation bound to its MAC address.

Hope this helps

Z
zaemliss
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just updated the article at http://zaxa.ca/magicjack-plus-not-working-plugged-directly-in-the-router-solved

There might be an alternate solution for those that can't map non-dhcp-assigned IPs to a mac address. MJ+ has a soft-config option in the web interface that allows you to set your device with a static IP address. Check out step 3 of the guide for the updated info.

Hope this helps you.

Z
KYmagicjackPLUSuser
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: MJ won't work until you register it? Reply with quote

Paul777 wrote:
Yes... it sucks having to trouble shoot. I would return it as soon as you can. The frustratioon is not worth it.

I ordered two MJ+ and they work flawless without computer. I did need to plug them into laptop at first for initial setup and registration, but once that was done I hooked them up to ethernet cables and they are working great.

Arrrrgh! Are you telling me that you have to register it first or it won't work?! The instructions with my MagicJack PLUS say to plug in the power, internet and telephone cables. That's it. NOWHERE does it say "First, plug this into your computer and register it" nor does it even say "register" or "registration" or anything of the sort anywhere. I plugged it into the wall and hooked up internet cable and phone cable, as the 1-2-3 instructions indicate. After doing that, I picked up the phone and get dialtone, but dialing does nothing. Dialtone continues as if I didn't even push any buttons on the phone! If registration is required before it works then I'll be really pissed, because how the hell was I supposed to know unless the instructions said so? Evil or Very Mad
mjplus2000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ won't work until you register it? Reply with quote

KYmagicjackPLUSuser wrote:
Arrrrgh! Are you telling me that you have to register it first or it won't work?! The instructions with my MagicJack PLUS say to plug in the power, internet and telephone cables. That's it. NOWHERE does it say "First, plug this into your computer and register it" nor does it even say "register" or "registration" or anything of the sort anywhere. I plugged it into the wall and hooked up internet cable and phone cable, as the 1-2-3 instructions indicate. After doing that, I picked up the phone and get dialtone, but dialing does nothing. Dialtone continues as if I didn't even push any buttons on the phone! If registration is required before it works then I'll be really pissed, because how the hell was I supposed to know unless the instructions said so? Evil or Very Mad

You should be able to do exactly what you did to test it and see if you like it before you register. You can only dial out. No incoming until it's registered with your number of choice. If you can't break dial tone then you're probably having an issue either with the router or the mj itself.
allanottawa
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ + will not work except when plugged into the computer Reply with quote

Jcadig2 wrote:
I have spent more than 7 hours online with MJ chat support and have answered the same questions over and over, tried the same fixes over and over and problem is still not resolved. They finally left me hanging on chat when I asked for someone higher up. Here is the situation in a nutshell:
My system is broadband cable, connected to broadband modem, with ethernet cable going to Belkin router, then ethernet cable connecting router to computer. Router also provides wireless signal to laptop computer.
My MJ+ works perfectly when plugged into the usb port on my computer, but when I try to use it without the computer, I get the dial tone and I hear the phone dialing, but then I get the error # 3002 message.
I have connected it with several different ethernet cables. I have connected it using all 4 of the ethernet jacks on my router and I have even connected it using the ethernet cable direct from the broadband modem, bypassing the router completely.
No matter how it is connected, the green light beside the ethernet jack on the MJ dongle comes on, but the indicator light on the router does not come on for whichever jack it is plugged into.

It seems very clear to me that the computerization in the MJ + is defective, and therefore it cannot operate without the computer, but the MJ tech support people want to take control of my computer remotely to mess around and the last time I let them do that, they screwed my whole system up. They want to mess with my router settings and I feel very strongly that the problem is not in my router but in the MJ itself.
Has anyone else had this problem?

I swapped the power / usb adapter for a different one (one from a Blackberry) and this problem went away ! Aboslutely no connection with the original adapter, then with the new one, BINGO: in 2 seconds it worked. Too easy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: