magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MJ Ready Thin Clients on Sale Now From Just $55 Shipped!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack related items For Sale / Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conniemadagain
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpman been MIA for a long while ...

Just got this on escambay:
0 results found for acpcguy who is alpman ...

haze10 wrote:
What's the current availability on the TCs. The original post hasn't been updated in a while.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

STxFarmer
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is still selling on eBay but no TC's in awhile.

http://myworld.ebay.com/acpcguy/
Alphamale
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are these devices?
kos99ngel
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphamale wrote:
What are these devices?

This is a "Thin" Computer with enough power to run Windows XP, the MagicJack software. There is no hard disk drive, fans or any moving parts. It is called a solid state device. It also uses very little power (Less than 8 watts). Most people buy something like this to so their MagicJack system is not dependent on their main computer constantly running and connected to the internet. You can think of this as a "Phone System" computer specially configured for MagicJack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
conniemadagain
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUP ... I still have mine from alpman w/upgraded memory ...
guess i should sell it ...

Laughing

kos99ngel wrote:
Alphamale wrote:
What are these devices?

This is a "Thin" Computer with enough power to run Windows XP, the MagicJack software. There is no hard disk drive, fans or any moving parts. It is called a solid state device. It also uses very little power (Less than 8 watts). Most people buy something like this to so their MagicJack system is not dependent on their main computer constantly running and connected to the internet. You can think of this as a "Phone System" computer specially configured for MagicJack.

spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a big deal to get MJ to run on a thin client, assuming the unit is already flashed with a working XPe OS. You don't need someone else to configure or set it up for you. It takes about 5 minutes to configure the BIOS and OS, using the guidance available on this site. I've only used the Wyse units, but as long as it has enough RAM (512 for the Wyse), and enough flash (also 512 for the Wyse), and has the VIA C7 processor, at any speed), it is a snap to install and run the current MJ device, so long as the TC is dedicated to that purpose. Even the 1000MHz C3 processors (Wyse V90, 941GXL) worked OK, but the ones slower than that were about borderline, at least in my hands. The C7 XPe units (V90L/LE series, C90L/LE/LEW/LE7 series TCs) are also easily re-flashed with a USB thumb drive, and freeware from the Wyse site.

Since the V90 units can be regularly had on eBay for $40-$60 (and were typically built with 512/512 or greater, unlike the older units) I don't see why anyone would opt for the older TCs, whether pre-configured for MJ or not.

By the way, these units run at about 14-18W for the V90s, 7W for the C90s. The C90s go to 0 watts if you shut down the TC but leave it plugged in, the others still burn about 4W.
murugan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoolin01 wrote:
It's not a big deal to get MJ to run on a thin client, assuming the unit is already flashed with a working XPe OS. You don't need someone else to configure or set it up for you. It takes about 5 minutes to configure the BIOS and OS, using the guidance available on this site. I've only used the Wyse units, but as long as it has enough RAM (512 for the Wyse), and enough flash (also 512 for the Wyse), and has the VIA C7 processor, at any speed), it is a snap to install and run the current MJ device, so long as the TC is dedicated to that purpose. Even the 1000MHz C3 processors (Wyse V90, 941GXL) worked OK, but the ones slower than that were about borderline, at least in my hands. The C7 XPe units (V90L/LE series, C90L/LE/LEW/LE7 series TCs) are also easily re-flashed with a USB thumb drive, and freeware from the Wyse site.

Since the V90 units can be regularly had on eBay for $40-$60 (and were typically built with 512/512 or greater, unlike the older units) I don't see why anyone would opt for the older TCs, whether pre-configured for MJ or not.

By the way, these units run at about 14-18W for the V90s, 7W for the C90s. The C90s go to 0 watts if you shut down the TC but leave it plugged in, the others still burn about 4W.

Need your help if possible:
Which image would I need to download from Wyse for a VIA Ezra (C3) 800MHz processor (Maxterm 8300 TC)?
My MJ runs well on a Neoware CA10 which has the VIA C3 Nehemiah 800MHz processor and 512Mb Flash (DOM) and 512Mb RAM. The only difference between the Maxspeed 8300 and the CA10 is that the Maxspeed has a CF instead of a DOM.
Any help would be appreciated.
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

murugan wrote:

Need your help if possible:
Which image would I need to download from Wyse for a VIA Ezra (C3) 800MHz processor (Maxterm 8300 TC)?
My MJ runs well on a Neoware CA10 which has the VIA C3 Nehemiah 800MHz processor and 512Mb Flash (DOM) and 512Mb RAM. The only difference between the Maxspeed 8300 and the CA10 is that the Maxspeed has a CF instead of a DOM.
Any help would be appreciated.
I don't know if I'm smart enough to help you out - I should say I'm not a techie and what little I know of PCs I've just picked up by playing around. I've stuck to running Wyse images on Wyse boxes, and also some retail XP stripped down via nLite.

I don't know of any Wyse boxes that used the Ezra, but the 9450/9455 used the VIA C3 Samuel, which I just read on Wikipedia was the close precursor to Ezra. The latest images for those (I think they shared images) are on the Wyse site, and they were 512 flash machines. They come packaged for Wyse management software, so you'll have to know how to get what you want out of their image. I don't know how the rest of the mobo matches up between those and yours - the VIA site might help with any drivers you might need for your board (I'm assuming it's a VIA board).

I don't know how closely matched the drivers need to be for the image to work passably, or if there are other considerations in build compatibility, but the 941GXL, and the V90 (not the V90L or LE) also used a later C3 CPU and XPe, and there were images for those for use with 512MB flash. I don't know what other changes there were in the mobo components, but that info is out there, I'm sure.

If the 9450/9455 images don't work for you, I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to start with full XP and strip it down via nLite or similar, so you have access to the various hardware-dependent libraries during installation. Then the VIA site should be able to get you the exact drivers you need for your mobo.

If you don't have the ability to image your device with one of the Wyse images directly, a workaround would be to have someone with a 9450 or 9455 take your flash, and image it in their box.

You may already know all of this, and some of it may be off the mark, but I've tried to download what I *think* I know about this.

This also gets into licensing issues perhaps, that I can't advise on. I'm not familiar with the restrictions attached to XPe and/or Wyse image licensing, but I'll bet they're tight.
murugan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Maxterm 8300 - similar to Wyse 9450/9455/V90/941GXL? Reply with quote

Hi spoolin01,
Thank you for the quick reply.
I'll try imaging the CF with the above images. XPE is actually built on the machine it is intended to run so it's production image is identical to the hardware it was built for. Unlike the std XP, it does not install any drivers when it finds them, as it was targeted for specific hardware (ie: graphics, USB, LAN, etc)

For that reason, if the Maxterm 8300 differed from any of the models listed by you, their respective images will not boot (unable to find drivers for devices in the Maxterm 8300 rather than the Wyse). But it does not hurt me to try as Wyse may have used the same VIA mobo and chipset as Maxspeed.

"If you don't have the ability to image your device with one of the Wyse images directly, a workaround would be to have someone with a 9450 or 9455 take your flash, and image it in their box."

If the 9450/9455 images work, then I don't need anyone to image my CF in their box - my CF can be imaged in my box with a dd command.

Using a full XP and nLite to strip it down doesn't work either for reasons in the first/second paragraphs above and most importantly, XPE does not write to the CF or DOM or any flash memory - they can only stand so many writes before they are wear leveled out. XPE installs a EWF (Enhanced Write Filter) or a FBWF (File based write filter) to make sure that nothing is written to the flash. This was also a security feature that made TCs attractive - end user mods couldn't be done without Admin or root rights.

I'll try the above images and let you know if they work. Thanks for the suggestions. I won't get into any licensing issues as I own the original CF with it's COA - all I'm trying to do is set it right as Maxspeed Maxterm is now a defunct company and this is my only recourse.
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall the mobo model in the 9450/9455 but I have a couple here and I can check if you want to take a look at yours, before diving into the Wyse image. I found quite a bit of information about the board when I looked into it. It's the first EPIA mobo, I think, I just don't recall the number.

I forgot about the write filter, though I have made small XP installs with nLite that run on those older Wyse units - around 250MB as I recall. I think I just ran them from a HD. The VIA CPU and chipset drivers can be had from VIA if they're not already in the XP install package. I've read about adding write filters after the fact, but never tried it. At any rate, if you can work with the Wyse image as is, all the better. That starts to get beyond my ken.
murugan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Wyse 9450/9455 = to Maxterm 8300? Reply with quote

Thanks spoolin01 for the fast response.
From replies I received, it appears that the Maxterm 8300 is a VIA 800 MHz Ezra with a VT133 chipset and a standard mini-itx mobo with a standard PC Award BIOS (not specially built for Maxspeed Corp).
From my research on the web, the Wyse V90L and the Neoware CA2 seem to be the nearest matches to the hardware (see http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hware/hardware.shtml).
I'm not sure if the 9450/9455 is the same but would be grateful if you have any info that would help me confirm the CPU as Ezra and chipset as VT133.
Thanks again for your help.
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VT133 rings a bell for the older Wyse board (9455/9450). Wikipedia says the Ezra is just the Samuel 2 on a smaller die, whereas the Nehemiah in the V90 is a new design. I'm going on memory for some of this, so give me awhile to check things out.
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recollection was a little off. The VIA Apollo PL133 is the chipset on the C3 boards in the 9450/9455. I don't find much info on the VIA VT133 but it appears to be contemporary with the C3 board in those two Wyse units. They use PC133 SDRAM. The V90 had DDR RAM, and a newer chipset. There was a C3 Nehemiah board in the Wyse 941GXL that was also PC133. But again, the info I saw was that the Samuel (9450/55) and Ezra were closely related, the Nehemiah was a generational change. I'd say one of those two (9450/55 or 941GXL) would be your best bet.

I just re-read your last post and saw you mentioned actually the V90L. The "L" was the VIA C7 processor, quite a change from the Ezra.

I'm curious though, about the need to match so closely. Can't you just get the VIA drivers for their CPU and chipset (get a bunch of them if it's not clear exactly which to use), and stuff them into either the image, or onto the flash, during the imaging of your flash? I see a lot of hits returned on a search for VT133 drivers, including a comment in a forum that VIA recommends standard XP drivers for that chipset.
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I just recalled your box boots from CF so you're not much constrained by flash size - why not install a 4GB CF card and just do a full XP install, or a smaller nLite version? I must be missing something.
murugan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks spoolin01.
In reply to "I'm curious though, about the need to match so closely. Can't you just get the VIA drivers for their CPU and chipset (get a bunch of them if it's not clear exactly which to use), and stuff them into either the image, or onto the flash, during the imaging of your flash?"

The Wyse 94xx has the 500Mhz Samuel CPU whereas the VIA Ezra is a 800 Mhz CPU. Not only are the CPUs different but the mobo chipsets are too.
As I said, the XPe image is built for a specific platform because it has only the supporting software for the specific devices and that's why it is so small. With that said, I cannot use just any XPe image as it will not boot.
There is no "during the imaging of your flash" - the XPe OS for the TC is built on a production platform and targeted for the computer or TC or tablet etc that will run it. The image created on the production platform is then written to the flash (imaging process) which is nothing more than a linux dd command. (in simple terms: dd if=production image of=flash bs= count= etc)

In reply to "Actually, I just recalled your box boots from CF so you're not much constrained by flash size - why not install a 4GB CF card and just do a full XP install, or a smaller nLite version? I must be missing something."
Installing a nLite XP or full XP on a CF is not a very good idea as the CF card can only stand a certain number of writes before it eventually "wears" out (the paging file alone will destroy the CF as it constantly writes to the disk (CF)). XPe does not write to the flash (CF or DOM or DoC) as it uses a ramdrive.

That does not mean that applications cannot be added (depending on flash capacity) AND ramdrive capacity by disabling the EWF (or FBWF) and re-enabling (commit) after they are installed.
Unfortunately:
(a) the ramdrive size cannot be changed as it is set during the image build phase
(b) I would need a working XPe image (one that boots on my platform) before I can add ("stuff") additional drivers and applications which was why I posted in this forum for (Ref: My post Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:52 pm).

So why not install XPe on a working platform and build my own image from drivers etc from VIA? XPe is now EOL and most importantly, MS dictates it being used only by OEMs.

Hope that clears up your questions.

I may just go Linux (ThinClient or TS-O-Matic for the image) but it will not run MJ unless I install a VM or Wine which not only defeats the purpose of
Linux (it's like scratching your right ear with your left hand - could have used your right hand in the first place!), but MJ has serious performance hits in running in a VM like latency, etc. Pure Linux TC's can run MJ only through RDP which again defeats the purpose of having a standalone MJ headless unit.
I need to think about it or experiment with a bunch of prebuilt XPe images. Unfortunately, I cannot contact Maxspeed Corp as they are defunct, and I cannot contact RETEK (OEM who built my image for Maxspeed) as they are also defunct even though I have the COA etc of original XPe image.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack related items For Sale / Wanted All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: