magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ plus hangs up on outgoing calls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yourjack
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: MJ plus hangs up on outgoing calls Reply with quote

Losses connection when i make calls Just goes dead.
Getting tired of calling back sometimes more than once to the same person
Any help would be great
profster
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: same here Reply with quote

I've been having the same problem. Since I setup a static IP hoping that would solve the problem but it is still occurring. Some calls are fine then suddenly on a call it disconnects to dead air.
gskluzacek
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Similar issue but with both out going and incoming calls Reply with quote

I've been getting randomly dropped from outgoing as well as incoming calls. But only when I have MJP connected to the network. When connected via USB all is good. MJP worked flawlessly in Dec 2011 and Jan 2012, but started having this issue in Feb 2012.

--Greg
misterg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Same issue Reply with quote

I have the same problem, after about 40-45 minutes on a call it just goes away. There is no notification, talking just stops. Call back and reconnects fine. I called tech support and they told me to run the upgrade but this did nothing. I am going to contact them again but I am not impressed with their support so I do not anticipate much help. If they come up with something that works I will post it.
OnTheFritz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Similar issue but with both out going and incoming calls Reply with quote

gskluzacek wrote:
I've been getting randomly dropped from outgoing as well as incoming calls. But only when I have MJP connected to the network. When connected via USB all is good. MJP worked flawlessly in Dec 2011 and Jan 2012, but started having this issue in Feb 2012.

--Greg

I have the same issue. Any luck fixing it?
profster
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Similar issue but with both out going and incoming calls Reply with quote

OnTheFritz wrote:
gskluzacek wrote:

--Greg

I have the same issue. Any luck fixing it?

I'm having the same problem, moved my magic jack to a computer to see if this stops.
Lenny11
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely the same issue for me on incoming and outgoing calls dropping. No problems first two months (December and January), just started dropping randomly in February.
shleets
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenny IMO I don't think this device is ready for dependable router support. However in a PC I think it is very dependable. I've gone thru the gauntlet of trial and error testing but I throw it on the PC and all the problems are gone. I'm curious about another post that says you can install this as a service on a PC. If this is true this will make it even more dependable if you can set the startup type to automatic. I'm a phone tech with a VoIP background. All your largest businessential phone systems are applications that run on servers so why not run this On a PC With battery backup and raid drives. If the device fails buy a new one. IMO the better value is the original MJ. Don't waist money on MJ+ because the router technology = frustration. And when mom's not happy nobody is.
Lenny11
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shleets wrote:
... And when mom's not happy nobody is.

True dat! Very Happy Thanks.
verzonnen
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Adding a USB cable might fix problem. Reply with quote

After getting nowhere with the TERRIBLE magic jack on-line support, who insisted I open my firewall to the world (rather then just their servers, of which they refused to specify a list)

I suspected the MJP was overheating as it was uncomfortably warm near the USB connector, so I added a 1 meter (3 feet) USB cable between the power supply and the MJP to find out which was overheating. Since I did that (two weeks ago now) I have had not a single call dropped and strangely enough neither the power supply nor the MJP seems to be getting much warmer then the ambient temperature.

I was in two minds if I should post this workaround or not as I have no desire to do MJ any favours after the way I was treated. Lets face it MJ support couldn't organize a drinking party in a brewery and it seems MJ themselves do engage in some shady practises.

When this unit breaks I will get something else like a nettalk duo as magic jack does some silly things like switching to an answering service afte only 4 rings
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I should post this workaround or not as I have no desire to do MJ any favours after the way I was treated. Lets face it MJ support couldn't organize a drinking party in a brewery and it seems MJ themselves do engage in some shady practises.

When this unit breaks I will get something else like a nettalk duo as magic jack does some silly things like switching to an answering service afte only 4 rings

I do not think that you do MJ any favor since this is an unofficial forum . Yo may do a favor to some people with the same problem.
The least expensive replacement for MJ would be Obihai with Google Voice.
However, I am not sure whether you have to set up the GV account in the US
and then taking it to Netherlands or whether it would work directly. Additionally, you can put a second, SIP provider ( like Localphone ) on Obi.
scotty200
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think they will fix it. It seams to be happening to a lot of us here i was on with there online people and u guessed it i have to be a good customer and wate for there email saying it fixed that i know from experience will not come after my year is up i am fin with mj ! going to Nettalk hope they are better obi is not a good idea for me as i cant get google talk in Canada i also my try free phone line with the one time 50.00 fee to use a ata
verzonnen
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Lets try to stay on toppic. Reply with quote

I know it is my fault for going on a rant against Magick Jack.

Can any one else try to add a (longer) USB cable between the MJP (Magic Jack Plus) and the power supply to verify that this workaround "fixes" the problem of calls dropping.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Lets try to stay on toppic. Reply with quote

verzonnen wrote:
I know it is my fault for going on a rant against Magick Jack.

Can any one else try to add a (longer) USB cable between the MJP (Magic Jack Plus) and the power supply to verify that this workaround "fixes" the problem of calls dropping.

It might not be so much the length but the quality of the cable itself...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scotty200

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have mine on usb cable had that from when i first got the mj+ and it did not help it just keeps it less hot it seam to be getting worse as time gos on i am going to try a different router again what router do you all have that are working good no dropped calls ?my tp link was working good but seam to not be anymore with all the call's that go dead at different times it frustrating me big time hope we can find a fix for this \

have a good one all
verzonnen
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bitstopjoe, It could be many things including moving the MJP a meter away from the power supply, phone and router. It could even be like you say the quality of the cable. (However the cable I used was cheap, but price alone does not indicate the quality)

@scotty200, how long is your cable? My router is a WRT54GL running openwrt.

I am not allowed (by she who must be obeyed) to do any testing on my end and posted what worked for me in order to encourage others to try something as silly as running a longer cable. I hope some others can benefit by my post and I realize that it could well be that I just got lucky. I certainly did not expect a longer cable to fix the problem, I just wanted to find which item was getting hot.
scotty200

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my cable is about 5 feet for the usb and Ethernet is about 4 f the usb is just to keep the mj+ cooler there will still be some heat as there a arm chip in there so it normal to get warm but it get more hot when it on the usb wall plug

have a good one
verzonnen
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Seems I cheered too early, the MJP hung up again. Reply with quote

Last night the MJP dropped the call again at 15 minutes and 2 seconds. This time I replaced the PSU by plugging the MJP in my powered USB hub, using the cable. Seems the cable only reduced the frequency of the dropped calls. The last call I made was still ok after 30 minutes, but since I have been trouble free the previous two weeks I doubt this will "fix" the problem.

Next step will be to make up something that attaches to the metal (outside) of the USB plug to dissipate some of the heat. It isn't as warm as when I had it plugged directly into the charger and if that doesn't work I will look at getting a different product as a few dollars difference is not worth the aggravation of the dropped calls or dealing with their useless service department.
profster
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: The Heat Problem Reply with quote

I'm not sure the heat problem is the issue. My MJP plugged into my lap top is running quite warm and it is not dropping calls.

I think the root of the issue is something that MJ did to the system around the first part of February. It has been since then that the MJP drops calls.

I have resigned to the fact that it will not work on a router and if the 3 foot cable helps great but any dropped call is a problem for me.

My wife wants to go back to Bell paying $50 a month.

Until a solution comes from MJ, I'm sticking to running my MJ hooked to the computer running it as a service. That way, I keep the woman happy and my pocket book full.
profster
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Ok I'm trying something else Reply with quote

I'm trying something else. I replaced the usb power supply they provided with an Apple USB power supply for an iphone. I also am using a very short usb extension to get the MJ+ away from the power supply.

I also went on line with Magic Jack support to address the dropped calls issue. Here is the conversation:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Reed'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554063953959X
Reed: Hello, how may I help you?
Don : MJP is dropping calls since early February
Reed: I apologize for the inconvenience that you have encountered. Please bear with me as I help you with this.
Reed: Please confirm if this is your magicJack phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx.
Don : yes
Reed: Is your magicJack Plus device connected to your router now?
Don : yes
Reed: I will make a small update of your magicJack connection from our end. Please unplug your magicJack Plus device from the router. I will let you know when to plug the magicJack device back in.
Reed: Please let me know once the device is unplugged.
Don : done
Reed: Thank you.
Reed: One moment please...
Reed: Thank you for waiting.
Reed: You may connect your magicJack Plus to your router by following the instructions below.
Reed: Using magicJack plus without a computer
Reed: 1. Plug the magicJack Plus into the power adapter that has been provided
Reed: 2. Plug the Ethernet cord that has been provided into the magicJack Plus
Reed: 3. Plug the other end of the Ethernet cord into your modem our router
Reed: 4. Plug a telephone into your magicJack Plus
Reed: 5. Plug the power adapter into a power outlet
Reed: You are now ready to make and receive calls
Don : so you are saying it is fixed?
Reed: We can check that after you set-up your magicJack Plus to your router.
Don : done
Reed: Please try to place a call and see if it works.
Don : just finished a call
Don : but the calls drop after a few minutes
Don : what have you done to fix it because tons of others are having the same trouble
Reed: Let's wait for a few more minutes and see if the call will still drops.
Don : its all over the internet
Don : I'm not on a call anymore
Reed: I have made a small update on your magicJack connection from our end.
Reed: Please try to place another call.
Don : ? how?
Don : oh the server I go to?
Reed: Alright, please try to place a call first using your magicJack Plus device.
Don : ok doing it now
Reed: Thank you so much.
Don : i'm on a call now
Reed: That's good, Mr. .
Don : call was ok
Reed: I'm glad that your magicJack is working fine now.
Reed: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
Don : tell what you have done to fix it? I'm interested to know
Reed: I have refreshed your magicJack connection from our end, Mr. . That fixes the problem that you are having on your magicJack Plus device.
Don : not sure what that means?
Reed: Alright, I have made a small update by cliking on some button on your magicJack account from our end. By doing that, we are able to fixed the issue that you have on your magicJack Plus device.
Reed: I hope everything is cleared now.
Reed: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
Don : ok thanks very much. so it others are having the same problem they should call you so you can click on some button on their magic jack account from your end?
Reed: Yes, that is correct and for us also to check and figure out what seems to be the problem of thier magicJack devices.
Reed: You're most welcome. I'm glad to be of help.
Reed: Would that be all for now?
Don : yes thank you
Reed: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again!

I will let everyone know if it works for me. If I am no longer dropping calls I'm going to reverse the connection by first removing the short cable and testing then finally using their power supply.
profster
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife claims one call was dropped. If I have another, I am going back to them with it.
kito0t
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chat flow is familiar. those are people who does not give you fixes they may be good at words but their fixes doesn't really fix the problem.
profster
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wife is driving me crazy with all the dropped calls. Going back to using the computer hookup.
deborah1783
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: No more dropped calls Reply with quote

After tying many other things, I go a new wireless router and I have no more dropped calls. I also got a better Cat 5 cable than the one shipped with the MJ. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: