magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ+ phone jack goes dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazejay
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: MJ+ phone jack goes dead Reply with quote

I am on my second MJ+ with the same problem developing.I have two wireless phone systems that I have had plugged into my old MJ for several years. When I purchased a MJ+ about 2 months ago,it worked fine for a few weeks then started going dead.I transfered it to another computer where it worked for about a week,then the jack went dead again.I tried other phones,no dice. I got a "warrenty"replacement MJ+ after a hour or so with"tech support". Now it has failed once again on one computer,so I transfered it to my main computer.Note I had magicfeatures installed all along until now. I have it on the main computer with the same phone systems but without Magicfeatures.Could MF be the problem? Confused
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to your question is no. The Magicfeatures just sits there basically dormant waiting for the magicJack to report your phone went offhook and is completely passive to the magicJack for placing outgoing calls. There are thousands of MJ+ dongle users using Magicfeatures at the moment.

The only exception to this is if you are trying to use a magicJack and Magicfeatures on a computer that is under the bare bones minimum spec of circa 800Mhz CPU and 512MB RAM. In the latter case, there simply isn't enough horsepower available to run magicJack and Magicfeatures at the same time.

Assuming you have adequate computer horsepower, your issue is probably somewhere between the USB port and your phone itself and/or the power management settings on your computer need to be adjusted.

1. For troubleshooting purposes, unplug your magicJack dongle for circa 10 seconds and then firmly plug it back in again directly into a USB port on your computer without any type of USB extender cable. Unplug any other USB devices you don't really need that share the power provided to the USB ports.

2. Unplug both ends of your phone cable and then firmly plug them back in again.

3. For troubleshooting purposes, temporarily try using a decent quality wired phone rather than a cordless phone to take possible interference and other side issues that sometimes occur with cordless phones like worn out batteries that don't hold a proper charge out of the test equation altogether.

4. Double check and make sure the power management settings on your computer are not set to drop the power levels to your USB port down after a period of time. You can do that at Start/Control Panel/Power Management AND Start/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Universal Serial Bus Controllers/USB Route Hub/Properties/Power Management .

5. Double check and make sure the power management settings on your computer are set to NEVER let your computer go to sleep and NEVER turn off your hard disks. You can do that at Start/Control Panel/Power Management.

6. Restart your computer to make sure it is in a stable known state before beginning any retesting.

Anyway hope this information helps you bottom out the issue and find a way forward.
lazejay
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: MJ+ dead phone jack Reply with quote

Thanks Red Pepper.

I'll try your 4,5,6. The others are already checked and ok.

lazejay.
lazejay
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: MJ+ dead phone jack Reply with quote

Red Pepper

Forgot to ask. What about a powered USB?
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be for the case where a USB port does not put out 5 volts. It is possible and it is also worth noting that sometimes not all USB ports on a given computer put out the same voltage levels. As an example, I've got a laptop where the back USB ports have enough power but the side USB port does not.

The voltage is also often shared across more than one USB port. Ran into a user that had a similar problem to the one you are describing and he had one of those new electronic cigarette chargers plugged into one of his computer's USB ports that was sucking up all the power at certain times. It ended up being the source of the problem.
Gene45
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting issue. My MJ+ has quit about seven times in five months. Each time I get on the chat system for help and it gets fixed, but the fix is different each time.

I usually use it plugged into the router, and the fix involves moving it to the computer. for upgrade plus a few other machinations, like use a different USB port , different telephone, telephone cable, ethernet cable, but in the end I may end up exactly where I was and it works.

The only consistency seems to be when to quits, the flashing light on it (when plugged into the router) also quits, and when plugged into the computer, the blue light, which all techs ask about, is not there. And even when it starts working the blue light is still not there.

I have tried doing the upgrade without the tech help and it does not work.
lazejay
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused well!! yesterday MJPlus did it to me again!Phone jack dead as a door nail. Tried plugging into router and phone says error 41 so jack appears to work on something!"not phone calls"
I spent two 3 hour stints with MJ "tech support" which is a total waste of time and an insult to the average persons intelligence. I finally dug my heels in and told them NO MORE.So after paying them $10.00 for a "free!!!"Warranty replacement,their sending me a third MJ+. The only thing I seem to get out of this mess is that the audio driver Tigerjet is failing and I don't know why.I have installed for several years a microsoft lifechat LX-3000 headset that has never failed.My system is a dell pentium 4 280ghz 2G duel channel w/160 GB hard drive only 40% full so should have enough horse power for the almighty MJ.
When it started to fail,the dial pad would disappear and I would have to reboot MJ.
I have never used the MJ direct into router.I have a hard wired router(old) plugged into broadband Skybeam. What router would you recommend if I go direct plug.This might solve my driver problem.I did reactivate magicfeatures a few days before jack failed!!
Gene45
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second is on the way as well.

My latest review with chat undid some of the fixes that were done in the previous two sessions. So who really knows how this works, or doesn't?
lazejay
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G45
You might want to uninstall all the old MJ you can find before installing the new MJ+.Some of their "fixes"messed me up.Before you do,look at start/run/type DEVMGMT.MSC/+/sound.video games controllers and see if you have tigerfox audio driver usb device(MJ)
Gene45
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tiger jet system shows up under "sound". The same device shows up under DVD/CD as Ymax yadda yadda. but only when plugged into the computer.

I suspect my hardware device was/is faulty, as each tech asked about the blue light which I have never seen, The last one also asked about green light which I have also never seen. I have no idea the function or meaning of the lights. And I don't think I am the only one.
greenman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene45 wrote:
The Tiger jet system shows up under "sound". The same device shows up under DVD/CD as Ymax yadda yadda. but only when plugged into the computer.

I suspect my hardware device was/is faulty, as each tech asked about the blue light which I have never seen, The last one also asked about green light which I have also never seen. I have no idea the function or meaning of the lights. And I don't think I am the only one.
The device should show up as a DVD/CD device and speakers/headset and microphone devices. These features are normal.

The software is on a small part of flash memory on the device. Flash memory can be made to look like a cd image that comes up like a regular cd on Windows and probably Mac too. This allows you to use the software that's on the device to install the application that allows you to set up your magicJack or magicJack plus, but as a safety precaution won't allow you to delete the software or add other items to the flash memory.

It also makes sense that the magicJack plus should include sound devices when connected via USB to your computer. This way, in a pinch, you can use your telephone as a headset/mic even for skype or just about any other voip interface on your computer.

If you have never seen a blue plus-sign on the device, you need to return it from where you bought it and exchange it for a functioning device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: