magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ on T5720 and Google Voice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muguy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: MJ on T5720 and Google Voice Reply with quote

Hi, thank you all for the great forum--lots of great information here.

I have a few questions.

1) Compare using Google Voice with Google Talk applications in a home office to using MagicJack--Pros and cons, is there really a place for MJ and its annual cost (even though it is very low)

2) I have a HP T5720 thin client. I have read quite a bit on this forum regarding using MJ on one, but most topics refer to using it with SP2 and not SP3. Is there an advantage of one over the other? The thin client would be only for MJ and to make a USB drive into a "NAS" for a Sonos system.

3) Does anyone have a preconfigured and tweaked HP T5720 1GB/1GB image that they would be willing to share? It would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy

Thank you so much!
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In MY opinion $20 is a SMALL price to pay to just be able to pick up the phone and make a call as opposed to using a headset. I MUCH rather use a phone to make my calls.
I do, however, have a Google Voice # as a backup..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll help where I can -

2) I have a t5710 and the image provided by HP only comes with SP2. I have never tried to update it to SP3 as MJ does not require it. I don't know what processor is in your t5720. I assume the 1 GHz AMD Geode. My 800 Mhz processor bumps to 100% CPU when making calls. If you are networking wireless music with Sonos, you may have some CPU bottle necks and in turn clipping or cut-out on phone calls. But, I am unfamiliar with Sonos.

3) There really isn't much need for a tweaked image any more for thin clients since tha last MJ upgrade forced thin client users to upgrade their C: FLASH drives. Most of the tweaking in the past was centered on slimming down the image to fit on to a 256 MB FLASH drive. Flash the HP image. Make sure your USB ports are not set to power saving. Add a firewall or anti-virus.
dogcacher
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Add a firewall or anti-virus.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you use for firewall or AV? I haven't found anything that will install on a 5710 with 512/1GB
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogcacher wrote:
Diggs wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what do you use for firewall or AV? I haven't found anything that will install on a 5710 with 512/1GB

Right from HP. Scroll down to the Security Enhancements part -

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=439749&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=439748&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1058

(I don't use anti-virus, just a firewall. Some people do though.)

@edit-
I also run a little 56 KB startup control program from Mike Lin. In there I just uncheck or delete the things I don't want starting/running that came with the HP image. You can get that control here -

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogcacher wrote:
Diggs wrote:

The Sygate firewall which is a part of the HP image is a very good firewall. You will need to manually allow Magicjack to work through it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: