magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ on new MacBook Pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mariner
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: MJ on new MacBook Pro Reply with quote

Anybody get MJ to work on the new MacBook Pro?

The process description that shows up on http://www.magicjack.com/9/mac.asp bears no resemblance to what I'm seeing when I plug the gizmo into my Mac. Maybe I'm missing something ... anybody?

I hope that emulating PC on the Mac (with VMWare) will be a work-around, and that the MJ will wake up on the PC side of the emulator. Any experience with this?

Thanks,
Mariner
darkfox
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It runs fine on my year-old MacBook Pro. (natively in Leopard; although it works in VMWare too)
Mariner
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Can you walk me through it? Reply with quote

Darkfox, thanks so much for responding.

When I plug in the MJ, two images show up on the desktop: a 'disk' and a 'phone' icon (but not the MJ icon). However, nothing that I can find inside either virtual folder is launch-able.

My understanding is that the MJ needs to be installed each time it's plugged in, and the virtual drives trashed before it's unplugged. Could you plug yours in and make a note of what you see, and the sequence you follow to get it launched?

Sorry for being such a newbie about this. I just get the feeling that something that's supposed to be popping up (according to the MJ site) isn't popping up.

dpw (mariner)
Vancouver Island, Canada
darkfox
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the two volumes as well. However, one of them pops open with the MagicJack app clearly displayed in it. I just have to double click on it to start. (the other volume is for Windows users I believe, and serves no function on the Mac)
dwkunz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Magicjack on mac Reply with quote

Hey Mariner did you ever get the magicjack going on your macbook pro? I'm having the same problem. There doesn't seem to be anything to open for the Mac. I only see Windows software. I love to find a patch to download. The tech support is a joke.
technoweenie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: died on mac.. chat session to MJ Reply with quote

actually got a chat session going rather fast. Basically the MJ has been working for 7 months on the MAC, then poof stopped working.

'Lira' in chat told me to open up the 'disk utility' on the MAC, and highlight the MJ drive (17.8MB) and choose ERASE.

Did that .. errors went away, registration was needed, then back to working.

Give this a try. I had the same errors as above.

TW
JPR7105
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Still can't get it to work Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem on 2 different intel macs with my 1st gen MJ. I started a chat session, erased and reinstalled using a Windows laptop, but nothing. Problem is there was never any MJ software on the Macs, so nothing upgrades and re-writes to the drive. When the Windows machine erased, it re-downloaded all PC software to the MJ drive, but still no Mac software. They had me enter 2 DNS servers in my network settings and then finally try to reboot my cable modem and router. After a 2 hour chat with 2 techs, I said "OK, I'll do what you advise, but it doesn't make any sense and it disconnects me, so I'm going to bed."

It works fine on all the Windows machines, just no Mac software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Mac All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: