magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ in Iraq?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davinaa
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: MJ in Iraq? Reply with quote

Hey, I don't actually have a magicjack yet...
My bf is about to deploy soon and I stumbled upon the idea of MagicJack while researching the skype service. I thought the MJ service sounds wonderful until I found the complaints on a page which lead me to this forum.

I'm just wondering does this service work well in Iraq? Does anyone have any experience using this service with the military? With my understanding, I can buy a MJ and set it up and send it to him so it'll have a local phone number so I can call my bf without it being long distance and he can call me also?

Is the clarity very well?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it, this is my first deployment and I'm really trying to figure out something affordable to keep in touch with him.
mansmurf
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I m not sure abt Iraq.... but I have friends in UAE & Saudi Arabia who use MJ to call home.
aone999
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ should work well anywhere in the world where you have at least moderate Internet (256kbps at the minimum).

I hear from friends that MJ works well in India. I don't know about Iraq, but if they have a good Internet connection (and the VOIP ports are not blocked by the ISP), then it should work there too.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 256kbps is to much. I think that 16 or so is more then enough. What ever it is it works fine on DSL in india which is like 45kbps. Call quality is.....good enough for the price:-)

Thats just 2 pennys out my pocket Very Happy
Happy Holidays
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fahim
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubai still NO Voip...

http://www.voipnow.org/2006/11/uae_to_life_voi.html
SpamBox
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it really depends on where he ends up being stationed in Iraq.
I've been there twice along with Afghanistan.
Didn't have internet connection for Afghanistan or Iraq the first time.
The second time in Iraq I did have internet connection.
Now there is probably a good chance he'll have a decent connection. As far as what everyone else here is saying about this or that country not having voip - it doesn't matter - while he's on base - it's considered a part of the USA - so local laws don't mean squat. The last time I was there the IT guys had voip with video conferencing setup so we could call back to our families.
The only thing that could be a problem is whether or not the computers available for use will allow him to install the magicjack.
Regardless of that I think the magicjack is a great idea for overseas military people. Wish it was around when I was in. Would of been nice for all those times I was stuck in an airport somewhere awaiting transport. So I would recommend getting it for him - even if he's not able to use it in Iraq (he might be a little too busy) - he'll eventually get plenty of service from it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: