magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MJ+ Dropping Calls... What Else Do I Need To Do?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: MJ+ Dropping Calls... What Else Do I Need To Do? Reply with quote

Thanks to the creators of this forum and all the contributors.

These mj+'s worked fine when new, but then something changed. I don't know if something changed @ mj or if we all have the same isp and they have it out for mj...

I've been doing a lot of reading...

I have the mj+ as stated and a Netgear N300 (wnr200v3) router.

I set up a "DMZ"

I did the QoS

I did Port Forwarding for 5060, 5070, 49152, and 65525 as advised by Live Chat.

Have I missed anything?

Is there anything else I should do?

Should I undo anything?

I'm just trying to get it to work the way it used to, without dropping calls after 10 minutes.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all that, I did a 37 minute test call without it being dropped.

Is it actually fixed?

Time will tell.

- -
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added another step

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/fix-for-mj-on-a-d-link-router-t11429.html

"step 3
-------
Reserve the IP for magicJack ie
Click on setup network
scroll down to section Add DHCP reservation`
Select the ip identified in step 2
Assign the name magicJack to this IP
Click Save.
From now on when Mj+ connects to the router, it will have this ip address "

I was a little concerned about the DMZ thing when I set it up. In the event of a power loss, the router would arbitrarily re-assign ip's... I didn't want a pc ending up there. The DHCP reservation should be added to the master list of "mj+ router configs".
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a theory- I thought that maybe Comcast was blocking mj calls.

I had somebody call me from their Comcast phone. Their NAME and number showed up on my phone.

???

I started up YouTube and iTunes radio trying to clog bandwidth.

The call quality remained the same throughout the call.

The call was 12 minutes long and did not drop out.

So far, so good.

- -
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the mj+ by calling it from work-

previously, if I called the mj+ from work, the mj+ couldn't talk but it could listen;
if the mj+ made the call it could talk and listen, but the call would drop at various time intervals.

So, I tested it today.

I called from work today. The mj+ could talk and listen...

but the call dropped out at about 10 minutes.

There was a few 30 minute calls before dropping out, and another that was longer.

It almost seemed that it got a little better with each call... have NO explanation for that.

AND, the name of the shop appears above the number when I called the mj+.

Progress, maybe....

- -
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what a waste.

All this and calls are dropping again.

I have given up on having it hooked straight to the router...

So now I have wasted all this time and money (I could have re-upped the regular mj for $20),

and because of the size of the dongle, I lose 2 usb ports when it is hooked to the computer.

Very sad.
evgeny9
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

---

Last edited by evgeny9 on Fri May 25, 2012 7:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Keizer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased my MagicJack plus a few weeks ago and have not had any problems at all with dropped calls. I have it connected directly to my BEC 7402TM router. I haven't done any port forwarding, or any of the recommended router settings suggested here in the forums. The call quality is really good, and people don't even know that I'm using VOIP.

Just for the heck of it I bought the NetTalk Duo yesterday from Target to compare to my Magic jack. It only took a few phone calls with the Duo before I disconnected it and boxed it back up for a return to the store. There was static, an electronic buzzing sound at times, and a slight delay. I don't have any of this with the MagicJack.
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evgeny9 wrote:
2guntom wrote:
...and because of the size of the dongle, I lose 2 usb ports when it is hooked to the computer.

2guntom, I agree, that it's a disappointment, but you can use a USB charger (e.g., http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+charger) if you have one - thus you can at least save both of the USB ports.

A charger?
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keizer wrote:
I purchased my MagicJack plus a few weeks ago and have not had any problems at all with dropped calls. I have it connected directly to my BEC 7402TM router. I haven't done any port forwarding, or any of the recommended router settings suggested here in the forums. The call quality is really good, and people don't even know that I'm using VOIP.

Just for the heck of it I bought the NetTalk Duo yesterday from Target to compare to my Magic jack. It only took a few phone calls with the Duo before I disconnected it and boxed it back up for a return to the store. There was static, an electronic buzzing sound at times, and a slight delay. I don't have any of this with the MagicJack.

Most mj+'s work when you first get them...

give it time.
Keizer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2guntom wrote:
Keizer wrote:

Most mj+'s work when you first get them...

give it time.

I wonder if somehow new buyers of MJ become priority one during the 30 day trial. Meaning behind the scenes you get great performance during the 30 day trial so you don't return it to the store. Then once the 30 days is up, you get stuck on the trashy line.
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have an interesting idea there...
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on hooking the mj+ to the router.

I've had it hooked straight to the computer for a month.
All was well at first. Then about a week ago it started acting up again. I tried to call the mj+: they could hear me, but I could not hear them. The mj+ calls me back and we can hear each other fine.

When I got home, I unplugged the modem and router and let the voltage zero out. Hooked it back up and everything seemed okay.

Yesterday, after a 5 minute call, the mj+ could not hear the caller, but the caller could hear them. Another attempt gave the same results: first 5 minutes okay, then the mj+ can't hear the caller.

It seems that if you fuss with the mj+ somehow like uninstalling then reinstalling, monkeying with the router, or fussing with something else, it will work for a while, then start acting up again.

I have a question:
Even with the mj+ plugged straight into a usb on the computer, do you still have to do the port forwarding thing?
Keizer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eventually started getting dropped calls too with my MJ plus. Me and other members had a hunch it was the latest firmware update that was done. We all rolled back to the October firmware, and have had no dropped calls since. Mine is working perfectly now.

See here!
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magic-jack-plus-update-files-t12336.html
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: "LUCKY YOU" Reply with quote

Ahhhhh "LUCKY YOU"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: