magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ+ and Shaw ISP in Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njoy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: MJ+ and Shaw ISP in Canada Reply with quote

I just received a new MagicJack Plus and plugged it into my computer - the ISP is shaw.ca (Shaw Communications). It worked okay for a call or two, then the internet connected disappeared. Since it's very cold here (-37�) we started by calling Shaw to see if the problem was local. Apparently not. The technician instructed us to do all the usual things with the modem, router, etc. and concluded the problem was not on their end.

A few hours later, seemingly without reason, the internet connection came back. Next day I plugged the MJ+ back into my computer and same thing happened. We fiddled with the router, again, and a few hours later the connection came back. No obvious cause and effect relationship.

Here's a partial transcript of my last conversation with MagicJack techchat:

Me: I think the problem is between Shaw and this new MJ Plus. I think they don't work together. Shaw.ca is a very, very VERY big outfit and you are going to have lots of similar problems until the compatibility issues are worked out. That's what I think.

MJ Tech: I understand. But the Shaw Comm Internet Security might be blocking the Mj connection

Me: Yes, probably. They don't know about MagicJack Plus, perhaps.

MJ Tech: You may contact them to Open the Router firewall for the MJ plus application..

So, of course, I'll do as suggested but meanwhile I'm wondering if anyone here has had similar problems.

Magic Jack always worked great for me on the same computer/connection.

Thanks.
njoy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Today We Tried Reply with quote

Today, we decided to try plugging the MJ+ into the router and attaching a phone (cordless, in this case). We called our own number, answered it, had a chat but noticed our internet connection on the computer had disappeared (this didn't interrupt the call, though). We hung up and in a few minutes the internet connection came back.

We made another call and same thing happened. I tried to use my computer but of course it didn't work. So, it looks like the router can't handle (or won't allow) both a phone call and internet at the same time.

I would really like to be able to make calls and use the computer at the same time (sometimes this will be important) but it would seem there's a firewall somewhere preventing that.

Do you think a newer router (ours is 2 or 3 years old) might work better?

I am reluctant to try MagicJack techchat again as it is difficult to get through to someone who might have a clue about this.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your cordless phone is using 2.4mhz then it is interfering with your wireless router. Try changing the channel your router uses and see if that helps. Of course you could try getting a newer 5.8mhz or DECT 6 cordless and you dont have to worry about it anymore.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
If your cordless phone is using 2.4mhz then it is interfering with your wireless router. Try changing the channel your router uses and see if that helps. Of course you could try getting a newer 5.8mhz or DECT 6 cordless and you dont have to worry about it anymore.

Hate to do this to ya Joe but DECT 6.0 operates at 1.9 GHz. Really make no flippin difference as everything else was correct.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true but the point I was making is neither DECT 6 ( 1.9 ghz) or 5.8 ghz cordless phones are 2.4mhz, which is the same freq as the wireless router, which WILL cause the problem he is having...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
njoy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Okay, but ... Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll try that.

But the problem was much worse when I plugged the MJ+ into my computer. I only switched to plugging it into the router to see if that worked better and it did.

Now I just lose my internet connection while making a phone call and it comes right back. Obviously, the connection isn't really lost because the phone works! But the computer disconnects.

Before, when I was just hollering into my computer's mic the connection disappeared for an hour or two at a time after a phone call. Not sure what brought it back.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
This is true but the point I was making is neither DECT 6 ( 1.9 ghz) or 5.8 ghz cordless phones are 2.4mhz, which is the same freq as the wireless router, which WILL cause the problem he is having...

Sorry Joe, I am a S***ty reader and did not see the "or". So as always you are correct and I am the dumbass Laughing
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ok, I will just type slower in the future... hehehehe

No harm no foul, and no I am not always correct, just ask my Ex... Smile
blown68ssrs
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Today We Tried Reply with quote

njoy wrote:
Today, we decided to try plugging the MJ+ into the router and attaching a phone (cordless, in this case). We called our own number, answered it, had a chat but noticed our internet connection on the computer had disappeared (this didn't interrupt the call, though). We hung up and in a few minutes the internet connection came back.

We made another call and same thing happened. I tried to use my computer but of course it didn't work. So, it looks like the router can't handle (or won't allow) both a phone call and internet at the same time.

I would really like to be able to make calls and use the computer at the same time (sometimes this will be important) but it would seem there's a firewall somewhere preventing that.

Do you think a newer router (ours is 2 or 3 years old) might work better?

I am reluctant to try MagicJack techchat again as it is difficult to get through to someone who might have a clue about this.

Hi, Shaw is my internet provider as well and I have their SMC gateway (Broadband 50). I bought the MJ+ at memory express last Friday and had ERROR 23 issue for a day. This is what I'd done and it's been stable for the last 48 hrs. Configure MJ+ to static IP. Connect the MJ+ to a power bar for USB power. CAT5 cable to a port on the SMC gateway. Open ports 5060 and 5070 for the static IP. No drop calls and no error 23 so far. I am stress testing this set up for the next week and hopefully saying goodbye to Shaw for good. good luck. Send me PM if you need more specifics for the SMC setup. Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: