magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ and 911

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: MJ and 911 Reply with quote

Does anyone know of an actual case where MJ was used to place an emergency 911 call? And did it work as it is suppose to?
Delavan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife claims to have tried it when we had a problem here and she said it didn't work. She had a dial tone, called 911 and nothing happened. Since I wasn't here I can't vouch for it and I intend to perform a test of 911 on MJ and my other VOIP phone system sometime when I can arrange it with the local authorities. Fortunately it worked fine on her cell phone.
dan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if your depending on 911 via MagicJack I would suggest calling 911 informing the operator this is not an emergency. And You were testing your VOIP line. confirm the address and name show up correctly.
spamftw
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: My guess Reply with quote

From my understanding of VOIP, 911 probably wont work, and if it does the operator wont have any idea of where you are.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My guess Reply with quote

spamftw wrote:
From my understanding of VOIP, 911 probably wont work, and if it does the operator wont have any idea of where you are.

No, MJ comes with E911, that is why you have to enter you address upon registration. If you dial 911 from your MJ the operator will see your registered address.. (That is if the call goes through xD)

~Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they use Intrado for their 911 services. I have called to test out all my MJ and VOIP lines. I suggest anyone depending on MJ 100% of the time do this
davrow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My guess Reply with quote

kumar wrote:
No, MJ comes with E911, that is why you have to enter you address upon registration.~Kumar

Although this sounds clear enough, it bears repeating.

No matter where you are when you dial 911 with your magicJack, it will show your REGISTERED address as your current location.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can change it... my.magicjack.com or in the softphone i think...

Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Agent_86
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: 911 Reply with quote

Yes I've used 911, I don't know how it works exactly but I've called 911 and the local police came as I had hoped.

I called 911 a few times due to a drunken pest in the area stumbling in the highway, and another time because someone ran over a tree branch in the road, and they wanted me to pay for it because it was in front of my house. LOL so I called the cops on them for harassing me and beating on my door etc. And the cops came out.

What is the difference between MJ 911 and regular 911 ? I don't think I understand what the differences are ?
JohnnyFreightTRAIN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Canadian Address registered for my MJ, so 911 is supposed to be disabled.
I did test it out using the *67 trick and it went through to my local police department in Canada. However, they told me my address was entered incorrectly.

So it does work.
But it rings for quite a while, i'm assuming because they are trying to figure out where to send your call.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two main differences between real 911 and VoIP 911.

The first difference is that with real 911 the phone company is wholly responsible for registering the service address in their 911 information table. just like an extra field for Caller ID that has your address, but is only fed to the 911 dispatch center. With VoIP 911, the customer is responsible for registering the service address with the VoIP service provider (and is likewise liable for paying the fine if the address is wrong).

The second difference is that with real 911 the phone company has a direct link to the 911 dispatch center(s) (like a telephone with the real telephone number 911), and hard codes which center gets a particular 911 call. With VoIP 911 there is no such direct link. Part of the verification and registration process is for the VoIP provider (or its agent) to look up the address you entered and figure out which PSAP (911 center) should get your calls. They then go into your VoIP account and associate that 911 center's POTS phone number with your account, just like a Speed Dial entry that happens to be triggered by the code 911.

The one thing I am not quite sure about regarding MJ's implementation of E911 is that I had understood that the VoIP company had to register your physical address to your VoIP telephone number in the PSAP's computer, since it was not possible to dynamically feed the address to the PSAP with a 911 call (similar to how your cell phone looks in its directory to tell you the name of the caller). With MJ letting us switch on the fly amongst several registered 911 addresses, if more than one of these addresses is pointed to the same PSAP how would they know the difference? Maybe someone else has more insight on this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: