magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minimum system requirements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Me
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Minimum system requirements Reply with quote

What is the minimum system requirements needed to get good results?

What is the minimum amount of RAM, CPU speed etc.

Anybody know? I am thinking of getting one for my mom who has an old computer used just for web surfing and emails.

It's a PIII 8666 with 256 Megs of RAM.
I know I will have to upgrade the OS to XP but I was wondering if it will work well with this basic hardware configuration.
Phil
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "MJ server" is an old PC I had nothing better to do with -- Pentium 2; 256 MB RAM; XP Pro/SP2. Sometimes I'll use the web browser to do a quick email check, but other than that it pretty much runs MJ and nothing else.

Stats for MJ from Windoze Task Manager (all numbers approximate):

When not making a phone call -- CPU = 0%; Mem usage = 6600 KB; Network bandwidth = 0.

When making a phone call -- CPU = 0-50% (varies moment to moment), I'd say about 30% average overall ... Mem usage 19000 KB; Network bandwidth 160 KB/s.

So, with your Pentium III, I'd say you'll be fine.
monkeyboy
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum system requirements Reply with quote

Tim Me wrote:

Anybody know? I am thinking of getting one for my mom who has an old computer used just for web surfing and emails.

I know I will have to upgrade the OS to XP but I was wondering if it will work well with this basic hardware configuration.
It should be fine... I am running my MJ on a PII 300Mhz laptop with 96MB RAM. Works fine also...
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old HP machine with 650MHz celeron processor 64MB RAM,XP with SP2,Works great !! Smile

Update:Running sp3 with all the security updates and patches, Have used a startup manager to kill off all unnecessary processes.

This machine only runs the MJ and has been stripped down to the bear bones to reduce power consumption.

This machine runs the MJ service well and in my opinion is the minimum to do so,I do recommend more RAM if you can get it, Windows XP is a serious memory hog and 96meg would be a better fit.

Last edited by Matt9876 on Tue May 05, 2009 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
MagicMo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum system requirements Reply with quote

Tim Me wrote:

I'm running magicjack on a Wyse WT9235LE thin client. This machine is about as minimal as you can get.

It has a 300MHz AMD Geode processor, 256M flash (no hard drive), 384M RAM (upgraded from 256M), 4 USB (1.1) ports, 100Base-T, audio in/out, and vga out. It runs WinXP embedded (sp1?) and draws only about 6W of power!

I find these machines are available on eBay for only $10-15. I use these machines and their stable mate (WT8235LE, WinNT) as dedicated net appliances. When/if magicjack is ported to Linux, I'll reflash the machine to Linux.

I initially had a problem getting it to install the necessary audio driver, but this post by "mozerd" fixed that problem!
http://unofficialmagicjack2.proboards104.com/index.cgi?board=tchelp&action=display&thread=21

MagicMo
johnlvs2run
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum system requirements Reply with quote

MagicMo wrote:
I'm running magicjack on a Wyse WT9235LE thin client. This machine is about as minimal as you can get.

It has a 300MHz AMD Geode processor, 256M flash (no hard drive), 384M RAM (upgraded from 256M), 4 USB (1.1) ports, 100Base-T, audio in/out, and vga out. It runs WinXP embedded (sp1?) and draws only about 6W of power!

I find these machines are available on eBay for only $10-15. I use these machines and their stable mate (WT8235LE, WinNT) as dedicated net appliances. When/if magicjack is ported to Linux, I'll reflash the machine to Linux.

I initially had a problem getting it to install the necessary audio driver, but this post by "mozerd" fixed that problem!
http://unofficialmagicjack2.proboards104.com/index.cgi?board=tchelp&action=display&thread=21

MagicMo

Can this work as a complete system with the magicjack?

Wyse WT9235LE + magicjack?
MagicMo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Minimum system requirements Reply with quote

johnlvs2run wrote:
MagicMo wrote:

MagicMo

Can this work as a complete system with the magicjack?

Wyse WT9235LE + magicjack?

Yes, I'm using only a cheap thin client, Wyse WT9235LE, with an added 128MB module to up the total memory to 384MB. I haven't tested to see if the additional memory is necessary, but I had it available, so why not...

My complete "system" consists of the upgraded WT9235LE, the MagicJack, and a cheap GE phone (#29281FE1). This is connected to my router / DSL modem. I have no keyboard or monitor hooked up to it other than initially to do the setup. The WT9235LE runs WinXPe (embedded) and I have it configured to auto login, so no user input is necessary. Been running 24/7 now for about 3 weeks with no problems. Low power consumption and minimum hardware. Maybe someday I'll get around to configuring it for remote login, but since any voicemail is emailed to me, why bother.

MagicMo
johnlvs2run
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum system requirements Reply with quote

MagicMo wrote:
Yes, I'm using only a cheap thin client, Wyse WT9235LE, with an added 128MB module to up the total memory to 384MB. I haven't tested to see if the additional memory is necessary, but I had it available, so why not...

My complete "system" consists of the upgraded WT9235LE, the MagicJack, and a cheap GE phone (#29281FE1). This is connected to my router / DSL modem. I have no keyboard or monitor hooked up to it other than initially to do the setup. The WT9235LE runs WinXPe (embedded) and I have it configured to auto login, so no user input is necessary. Been running 24/7 now for about 3 weeks with no problems. Low power consumption and minimum hardware. Maybe someday I'll get around to configuring it for remote login, but since any voicemail is emailed to me, why bother.

MagicMo,

I've been looking into these, and haven't found one for a reasonable price.

If you find one for $10-15 or anywhere close to that, could you send a pm or let me know here?

Thanks.
MagicMo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimum system requirements Reply with quote

johnlvs2run wrote:
MagicMo wrote:

MagicMo,

I've been looking into these, and haven't found one for a reasonable price.

If you find one for $10-15 or anywhere close to that, could you send a pm or let me know here?

Thanks.

John,

I just took a look on eBay, and all I see at the moment is a group of 4 for $200. A bit steep in my opinion. If you keep watching you should be able to find them for much less. Most of the thin clients I've bought have been WT8235LE models (WinNTe) which I prefer for dedicated net appliances. I've not tried running MagicJack on them. I have 3 or 4 of the WT9235LE models (WinXPe) which work just fine.

There is also an equivalent in the HP/Compaq line, an Evo T20 model. It is the same pcb (made by Wyse) internally, just a different case. I'm not sure how to identify the different models here, as HP/Compaq likes to slap the Evo designation on everything from notebooks to desktops.

MagicMo
jagnth
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: I use MicroXP for my MagicJack Reply with quote

MicroXP is great for a homemade 'thin-client'

I have it installed on an old Dell Optiplex GX1 with a 400Mhz CPU and 160mb of RAM.

It only uses 40mb RAM while running and the install only took up 521mb of my hard drive. I plan on getting a 4gb CF card for my IDE/CF adapter and running it off of that.

The only down side to MicroXP is that 'AutoPlay' feature is turned off. Going to see if I can enable it..(if it hasn't been completely removed), so you have to go into your CD drive and run the autorun.exe.
jagnth
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: just enabled autoplay Reply with quote

enabling autoplay was a simple as editing the registry under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Microsoft
Windows
CurrentVersion
Policies
Explorer
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"

I changed this to '1' now when system boots it automatically loads MJ.

http://autorun.moonvalley.com/enable.htm
brockin431
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: P3 600mhz Dell Reply with quote

I have some Dell 600 mhz computers with no hard drive or OS. I can post them to ebay if anyone is interested for 15.00ea. I'd have to look to see on shipping from 31904. bnowens at yahoo dot com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: