magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maybe I'm Just Lucky

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenny
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please forgive me if I sound ignorant. ( I am when it comes to Magic Jack)
My question is: Do I need to wait on my MagicJack to come BEFORE reserving a number at GC? OR can I go ahead and get one reserved now, before MagicJack arrives?

Sorry..but the only VOIP I've ever used was Skype Mad and those folks sold out to ebay and everything went haywire, IMO.
So I might be asking a couple more questions before its all over, as I don't want to mess anything up before I get to start using it! Plus this is only the 2nd time I've ever used a VOIP Shocked Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice.

1 more question, please: IF they ever come out with MY area code, or say I mess up at GC getting a local number, will it cost me to change my number again or to fix it?
Vulture1340
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Please forgive me if I sound ignorant. ( I am when it comes to Magic Jack)
My question is: Do I need to wait on my MagicJack to come BEFORE reserving a number at GC? OR can I go ahead and get one reserved now, before MagicJack arrives?

Sorry..but the only VOIP I've ever used was Skype Mad and those folks sold out to ebay and everything went haywire, IMO.
So I might be asking a couple more questions before its all over, as I don't want to mess anything up before I get to start using it! Plus this is only the 2nd time I've ever used a VOIP Shocked Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice.

1 more question, please: IF they ever come out with MY area code, or say I mess up at GC getting a local number, will it cost me to change my number again or to fix it?

No you don't have to wait, that's the beauty of it. You can change forwarding numbers on a whim. However you can only do it on a PC
Jenny
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Thank you for the fast reply, Vulture!

Guess I'm off to get me a local number now, while I wait to see if it comes today.
Jenny
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, It did come today, BUT...I have NO sound on my PC OR my phone. What have I done or need to do? All help is greatly appreciated!!
gnimsh
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters, go to your control panel, and the sounds and audio devices shortcut. The MJ device basically acts as an exteran soundcard, so it takes over your sound from the main soundcard. Just choose the other one (that ISN'T TigerJet USB) and your sound should be coming back to the computer. Then in the MJ softphone app make sure you've got it set for the phone if you have a phone plugged in or headset if you're using mic and computer speakers/headphones...its set to phone by default. Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jenny
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you posted that last bit of info for me, I started having this loud humming? Noise..I am completely lost as to what to do now. I chose the other 2 instead of the tiger thing. But I can't seem to figure this out. Please help. Can I start over (uninstall) if all else fails?
Jenny
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: I apologize for posting so many times in a row..

I got the buzzing noise off my PC by restarting it. Now..obviously MJ is recognizing my phone is hooked up because everytime I pick it up or lay it down, MJ comes on top of all apps. My only problem now is..I can't get a dial tone or call out on my Phone? From menu on MJ I made sure I was switched to phone instead of headset. Any recomendations?

Also, I can dial on MJ although I can't hear on it, and I can hang it up by my phone.. Confused

I can use MJ, using a mic..First I dial the number on the keypad on my screen, then have to go to menu, and switch to headset. I can hear fine, and talk - through my mic.
I just can't figure out how to get it to STAY and work on telephone, through menu?

I keep editing this message as I get alil further along.
Jenny
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG this is a nightmare! Crying or Very sad I cannot get a dail tone on my phone, Nor use it. I CAN, however use MJ through my PC using my mic. Does anyone know what I should do now?

I keep putting it on telephone through the menu button, but it doesn't stay?
gnimsh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sometimes it has compatibility issues with wireless phones...is what what you're using? Try a wired phone and see if it works any better.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jenny
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried both. I've got a wired phone to it right now.

Laughing LOL! I have a REALLY old rotary phone here..I hooked it up, and what do you know, It worked! ...Well the dial tone anyway. Couldn't dial out. Maybe I need to keep hunting another phone till I find one that will have a dial tone and dial out. Thanks!
And don't forget about me! I may be back crying some more, lol..
gnimsh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I think it needs touch tone to dial from teh phone but as long as you have a phone that works I think you could dial via the MJ phone.
Jenny
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONE more question. (for now, hehe) I just now went to GC and reserved a number. How and when will I recieve it? Thanks in advance! Smile
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think that it could be the wireless router interferring with the phone? try disabling the router's radio and see if that helps...
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jenny
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kumar wrote:
Do you think that it could be the wireless router interferring with the phone? try disabling the router's radio and see if that helps...
Kumar

Kumar, I don't have a wireless router....
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ok then nevermind....what are the model of the phones?
Thanks
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jenny
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cordless ones are :Uniden
Another one: GE

Corded one is :bellsouth lol
snafu2
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny, Are you sure your power adaptors for those phones are pluged into a live outlet? Hard to imagine both phones are defective, but that's what it sounds like. snafu
Jenny
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snafu2 wrote:
Jenny, Are you sure your power adaptors for those phones are pluged into a live outlet? Hard to imagine both phones are defective, but that's what it sounds like. snafu
Hi Snafu. Yes I am sure they were plugged into live outlets (tried a couple) and other things work fine in them. My phones aren't defective, the MJ apparently is. I am sending it back anyway, to get another one.
Thanks all the same though! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: