magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicTalk Screen

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lychy
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: MagicTalk Screen Reply with quote

Anyone get the MagicTalk screen recently?
When I restarted just now, it popped up asking for an e-mail code to try MagicTalk before it's released.
I didn't get a code, but it is the 1st time I got this screen!
m3m3nt0
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've got it and I can't get rid of it. It keeps coming back up everytime I click 'close window'

It won't fully load my magicjack and therefore, can't use it...
any advice...?
lychy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m3m3nt0 wrote:
Yep, I've got it and I can't get rid of it. It keeps coming back up everytime I click 'close window'

It won't fully load my magicjack and therefore, can't use it...
any advice...?

Same thing is happened to me (and it was happening before with a different screen since the update).
I got to task manager, end magicjack, unplug it, wait 10-15 sec., plug it back in, click the setup icon in my startup folder(that's how I get magicjack to startup on my pc), and it goes away until I restart again.

It's quite annoying, and hopefully will go away when MagicTalk is fully released!
m3m3nt0
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lychy, thanks for the quick response. I've tried and retried that as well as leaving it out and trying other usb ports. I guess I'll keep tryin.

In response to your original post, I didn't get a beta code either. Wish I would though, maybe it would get rid of this annoying window that just won't stay closed!
lychy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m3m3nt0 wrote:
Well, lychy, thanks for the quick response. I've tried and retried that as well as leaving it out and trying other usb ports. I guess I'll keep tryin.

In response to your original post, I didn't get a beta code either. Wish I would though, maybe it would get rid of this annoying window that just won't stay closed!

I'm sorry it didn't work!
I know it can be annoying. It won't let me sign in or use the magicjack with that stupid screen up!

I wish I had gotten the code, too. I wonder how they chose who did or who didn't?!!
Howie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magicjack support had me unplug the magicjack and run Microsoft Fix it 50098. After running, Reboot, then plug magicjack in. Worked for me. The Microsoft download can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282402#fixit4me

Last edited by Howie on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
lychy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
Magicjack support had me unplug the magicjack and run Microsoft Fix it 50098. After running, plug magicjack in. Worked for me. The Microsoft download can be found here:

I download and ran it.
I will see how it works when I need to restart again.
hayesb2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the microsoft fix, and then plugged back in my magicjack and restarted the software. It did not fix the problem....MagicTalk still prompts me to enter a code and when I close the window it just pops right back up and refuses to allow magicjack to work. This is ridiculous.
pbjandfritos
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hayesb2 wrote:
I downloaded the microsoft fix, and then plugged back in my magicjack and restarted the software. It did not fix the problem....MagicTalk still prompts me to enter a code and when I close the window it just pops right back up and refuses to allow magicjack to work. This is ridiculous.

Have you tried it with another computer? I also think that your MJ dongle has gone bad.

Ernie
dcruzb
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: MagicTalk Screen Reply with quote

lychy wrote:
Anyone get the MagicTalk screen recently?
When I restarted just now, it popped up asking for an e-mail code to try MagicTalk before it's released.
I didn't get a code, but it is the 1st time I got this screen!

Hi as of today Sep 11 I woke up with the MT window. After clicking close window several times, I unplugged the dongle and plugged it back in with no result. I right clicked the MJ icon and restarted MJ and then I recovered the phone... with no word of MagicTalk by the way. But the MagicTalk screen disappeared. I have no clue what it is about. What are they up to? Does anybody know? I didn't get the secret code either... Rolling Eyes
jerome8283
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. I applied the MS fix and it did not resolve it.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am having the same problem! I am not feeling so "Lucky" right now!!! I can not get rid of the magicTalk window either!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
fitter108
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: magic talk banner Reply with quote

I have the same problem. I live chatted with magic Jack tek for 2 and 1/2 hours. Thay checked my computer over like nothing else. We change all type of settings with no change. I asked three times with 3 different tek folks what the Magic Talk code was but the ignored my request. The first two acted like they had no idea what the blue magic talk banner was.
At the end i think they hung up on me ** we was cut off the chat. The magic Jack will still not work and the banner is still covering up the softphone keypad. This is not a usb problem* software problem or pc problem!!!! They {MAGIC JACK} have sent this out and it is shutting down there devices. I have tried to get on several confrece calls that they now block and I dont know if this is a solution to that or why they would not answer my questions about the real problem of the banner that stops the function of the MJ software itself. I also tried the microsoft fix with no results. Mr. Unhappy MJ customer
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can suggest is to email [email protected] as some if us have gotten better responses that way than their online chat "help"

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fitter108
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Magic talk banner Reply with quote

Has anyone on here actually got rid of the banner and if so how?
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic talk banner Reply with quote

fitter108 wrote:

Check out ijanetk post here (at the end of the posts)

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magictalk-t9739.html

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lychy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic talk banner Reply with quote

fitter108 wrote:

I downloaded the Fix someone posted earlier and it hasn't popped up since.
kevin1211
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a fix here that worked for me, got it from a magicjack agent...

1. Click the "Start" button then "Settings" then "Control Panel" then go to "Internet Options", under "Privacy" tab, slide the bar down to "Accept all cookies". Under "Security" tab, click on "Trusted Sites" then click the "Sites" button.

2. Un-check the box at the bottom left of the window that says "Require Server Verification".

3. Type the following address into the text bar, reg.talk4free.com then click the "Add" button, and also type in the following address, my.magicJack.com and click "Add" then "Close" then "OK".

4. Unplug the magic jack and plug it back into a different usb port after 20 seconds

Only thing is you may have to accept all coofies for a while. A few hours is what she told me.
Howie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left out an important step in the fix I posted earlier. You must reboot after running the fix, then plug in MJ. I updated to reflect this.

Magicjack support had me unplug the magicjack and run Microsoft Fix it 50098. After running, Reboot, then plug magicjack in. Worked for me. The Microsoft download can be found here:
dali
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I became furious when this problem first started happening Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad , I went as far as to threaten the online tech help person, called the magic jack every name in the book, installed the microsoft fix, still didn't work, got angrier, lost stability, unplugged my magic jack, beat it on the desk 20-30 times and plugged it back in. At this point the device realized it should have never crossed a crazy person and started operating normally Very Happy
Howie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started getting the pop-up again and had to run the fix again. This time it stopped the MP window but would not connect to MJ servers ( error 20). I booted into save mode with networking, then connected MJ. It did not give me an error, just kept indicating it was configuring. I let it do this for about 10 minutes. It never stopped so I rebooted into normal windows and It now works fine. For how long? Only Mysteryjack knows. Hope this works for others.
DoctorPatient
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19SEP10
[system= Win XP Pro, SP3]

- MJ loader starts, displays softphone
- magicTalk window pops up
- "????" sez me
- I tried my MJ phone number for the code >no good
- ProcessExplorer (gotta have) to end the magicjack.exe process
- unplug MJ from externally-powered USB hub
- get online, venture over here (thanks to all participants, too)
- no definitive answer, so it's Registry [HKLM >talk4free] poke-around time
- no defintive giveaways there
- the Fixit50098 Registry entries [10] were already there
- next, it's Windows Explorer [profile]\AppData\mjusbsp poke-around time
- notice 4 folders w/today's date and startup time, so look in there
- find similar .EXEs, magicjack.DLLs in those folders
- latest magicjack.DLL found is 2.0.558.2 in multiple folders (why keep old ones?)
- in \mjusbsp level, find 1 file w/today's date & time: magicJack.dat (1Kb)
- make temp folder, move magicJack.dat there
- plug MJ directly into chassis USB (no hub)
- run magicJackLoader.exe from Desktop icon
- softphone starts, loads contacts & calls lists >wait >no magicTalk popup
- "????" sez me
- lift handset >dialtone >call function normal
* go back to Windows Explorer to see if MJ has restored or downloaded another magicJack.dat >no

OK-
DO NOT consider this a definitive fix/workaround: I'm pretty good w/Windows file level work, but only so-so w/phone & comm stuff, so perhaps I just got lucky and would appreciate feedback and results of similar testing from the board community

follow-up:
1. a system restart didn't bring back either the magicTalk code window or that mysterious magicJack.dat file in the \AppData\mjusbsp folder
2. is anyone able to determine what the magicJack.dat file does?
3. I don't think I'll move the file back into the \AppData\mjusbsp folder just to prove if the annoyance returns, either Smile

again, thanks to all those who participate and help here
AlaninKY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicJack vs magicTalk!! finally it look like my magicJacks have won the splash screen battle! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Has anyone on here actually got rid of the banner (sort of) Reply with quote

An interesting question. I spent about the last 1/2 hour on it.
I can't get rid of it, but I can get it to display black.

UPDATED - link with instructions on blocking technique #2 using the HOSTS file.
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The ads are currently provided by the website render.talk4free.com.
If you block that site and restart it. The ads will be blocked and that side of the display will be black.
It's common to change the ad servers, so this may and probably will break in the future.

You can block it in your router - which is probably the easiest method.
Find site blocking section, enable site-blocking if it's not on, and enter
render.talk4free.com
As the site name to be blocked.

OR - Method 2

On Windows XP ONLY (don't try this on Vista or Windows 7) you can
(at your own risk) redirect the site so that it can't find the ads.
The way to do this is to edit the file "hosts" which is located in the directory \windows\system32\drivers\etc
If you installed windows XP to a different directory - then you should know how to do the rest of this. Smile

This is a little tricky so, I'm just going to outline the steps, because I don't want to have to go around fixing everyone's system.

Make a backup copy of the file \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Change the file permissions on this backup file to read-only!

Change the file permissions on \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts from read-only to writable.

Edit \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and insert a line at the bottom which says:

127.0.0.1 render.talk4free.com

Save the file back as \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and exit the editor. Careful - if you used notepad as your editor, it'll try to save it as hosts.txt it has to be just "hosts" with no file type or extension to it.

Change the file permissions on \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts back to read-only.

Restart magicJack.

All editing the file does is send requests from your computer to render.talk4free.com back to your local computer (the 127.0.0.1 address).
Your local computer doesn't know what to do with this request, so it ignores it.[url][/url]
Alphamale
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the same thing. Still having way to many issues though. I had the magictalk and enter a code which i do not have. But i just unplugged it and restarted it and everything is ok for now.
Magicjacktechsupport
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys , I was also getting magictalk screen . I had unplugged my jack and replugged without using the USB extension cord and my magicjack worked properly.

I checked few things . First I removed my jack and started the magicjack without plugging in. I got magictalk screen. It was disappeared when I plugged in my jack again.

magictalk banner has following message :
"
If you received a code for the pre-release of magicTalk, enter it below.

Otherwise, insert your magicJack into a USB port
on your computer and continue as you normally would.
"

So basically it means that magictalk screen appears when either your magicjack is not plugged in properly or your PC is not recognizing the device .
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hey guys , I was also getting magictalk screen . I had unplugged my jack and replugged without using the USB extension cord and my magicjack worked properly.

The USB extension cord supplied with the magicJack is notorious for it's bad and spotty quality. Millions use them with no problems (including myself)., but they also can create various weird problems.

If you have problems, and can't plug in your magicjack w/o the USB extension cord supplied, go out and buy another USB extension cord (Called a USB type A Male to USB type A Female cable) locally and try that..

Even in the worst case - if doesn't fix your problem - they're awfully handy to have around anyway.
spe725
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
I left out an important step in the fix I posted earlier. You must reboot after running the fix, then plug in MJ. I updated to reflect this.

This worked for me. Thank you!
rhodges
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: magicTalk Reply with quote

Even worse news. Went to support and they wanted to charge me $38 for a response to this problem.

What seemed to be a great mousetrap seems to be headed in the wrong direction to me.

RTH

Edit: For what it is worth, MagicJack still works just fine on my adjacent computer at least for the moment (XPPro 64 bit). I am into flightsim pretty heavy and have the two computers (Original useing MagicJack was 32bit) home networked.

Very strange!
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: magicTalk Reply with quote

rhodges wrote:
Even worse news. Went to support and they wanted to charge me $38 for a response to this problem.

What seemed to be a great mousetrap seems to be headed in the wrong direction to me.

RTH

Edit: For what it is worth, MagicJack still works just fine on my adjacent computer at least for the moment (XPPro 64 bit). I am into flightsim pretty heavy and have the two computers (Original useing MagicJack was 32bit) home networked.

Very strange!

I'm curious, was the $38 part of the regular tech support routine at the beginning? Or once it got complicated for them and it was passed to a 10% expert that they then asked for the fee?
rhodges
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: magicTalk Reply with quote

Probably the latter.
As soon as I got an acknowledgement that a tech. was with me, it stated his credentials, and gave me a choice asking me what I was willing to pay on a sliding scale. There were two scales and I don't remember exactly what the options were, but something like urgent, midscale (the default) and not so urgent. The minimum was $18. I wasn't brave enough to see what the urgent choice gave me. I guess it would be a simple matter to go back and give it another try to see the details, but I was so astonished at what I saw I closed the program.

Sorry I can't give you more credible info.
RTH

nailgunner wrote:
rhodges wrote:

RTH

Very strange!

I'm curious, was the $38 part of the regular tech support routine at the beginning? Or once it got complicated for them and it was passed to a 10% expert that they then asked for the fee?
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are silly. That is not Official MJ Support; that's just some dumb targeted ad link you clicked.

Official MJ chat support is still free (at least for the time being).

Don't click this:

http://www.justanswer.com/brands/Magic-Jack?ofid=6&r=ppc|ga|1|Computer+-+CYN|Magic+Jack&JPKW=magic%20jack%20support&JPDC=C&JPST=www.phoneservicesupport.com&JPAD=3473410953&JPAF=txt&JPCD=20100323&JPRC=1&gclid=COj5oN66uqQCFQpe7Aodcn9e0A

Do click THIS!:

http://www.magicjack.com/techchat/

REMINDER:

This forum is NOT official. Just because you see a link at the top of the screen for MJ support, does not mean it is an official link. In fact, it most certainly means it is NOT.
rhodges
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably am a bit silly, not a self proclaimed "whiz", but the link I went to was by a google search to "Official magicJack.com" and "Tech Chat is Now Available 24 Hours..." as follows:

Then selected "If you are not satisfied with the answer below, Click here to chat with a Live Agent Representative" A selection for "I'm Online! Start Chat" was provided for the mouse click.

I have no idea how another link snuck in assuming that it did, but am happy to know that service is still available without such charges.

In any case, I am thrilled to say that this morning I switched from my 64bit computer back to the 32bit unit where I normally have MagicJack installed and MagicJack enabled with no problems and seems to work fine. I hope this means the problem is solved on MagicJack's end, but time will tell.

Now if MagicJack would only add my local phone prefix like they have been promising that they would do for two years now. They keep telling me, "We are working on it." Their ad for local service is a bit misleading when one's next door neighbor has to call long distance to reach you on MagicJack. In fact, calling yourself for a test call is long distance. Some states only have one locality available.

Respectfully:
RTH

Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:
You are silly. That is not Official MJ Support; that's just some dumb targeted ad link you clicked.

Official MJ chat support is still free (at least for the time being).

Don't click this:

http://www.justanswer.com/brands/Magic-Jack?ofid=6&r=ppc|ga|1|Computer+-+CYN|Magic+Jack&JPKW=magic%20jack%20support&JPDC=C&JPST=www.phoneservicesupport.com&JPAD=3473410953&JPAF=txt&JPCD=20100323&JPRC=1&gclid=COj5oN66uqQCFQpe7Aodcn9e0A

Do click THIS!:

REMINDER:

This forum is NOT official. Just because you see a link at the top of the screen for MJ support, does not mean it is an official link. In fact, it most certainly means it is NOT.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhodges wrote:
Probably am a bit silly, not a self proclaimed "whiz", but the link I went to was by a google search to "Official magicJack.com" and "Tech Chat is Now Available 24 Hours..." as follows:

Then selected "If you are not satisfied with the answer below, Click here to chat with a Live Agent Representative" A selection for "I'm Online! Start Chat" was provided for the mouse click.

I have no idea how another link snuck in assuming that it did, but am happy to know that service is still available without such charges.

In any case, I am thrilled to say that this morning I switched from my 64bit computer back to the 32bit unit where I normally have MagicJack installed and MagicJack enabled with no problems and seems to work fine. I hope this means the problem is solved on MagicJack's end, but time will tell.

Now if MagicJack would only add my local phone prefix like they have been promising that they would do for two years now. They keep telling me, "We are working on it." Their ad for local service is a bit misleading when one's next door neighbor has to call long distance to reach you on MagicJack. In fact, calling yourself for a test call is long distance. Some states only have one locality available.

Respectfully:
RTH

Yes, I suspected you ran into one of those ads. (Those kind of misleading targeted ads bug me a bit.) The one that often shows at the top of this forum works as you described.

Smile I'm glad you got things straightened out. There is nothing silly about that. Wink
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: You COULD call next door, but MJ blocks it. Reply with quote

rhodges wrote:

Respectfully:
RTH

Let me take 2 wild guesses:
1. Your telephone company is small and/or rural?
2. When you try to call, you get 3 "fast busy" tones and are disconnected.

There are no technical issues. magicJack (MJ) can fix this at any time with the flick of a switch. They are just too cheap to pay the connection fees, so they are blocking these numbers (including all of Alaska).

There are a great deal of people addressing this issue in a(nother) unofficial forum on dslreports.com (it's free - I promise).

I recommend that you check out the topic "Forums � VOIP etc � Voice Over IP - VOIP � MagicJack � HELP- Magic Jack can't call local ISP area code" - the link for which is: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24566829-HELP-Magic-Jack-cant-call-local-ISP-area-code

Some of us have received the following email message from magicJack with their interpretation of and "solution" to the issue:

"Dear magicJack Customer:

We are working on interconnecting with the telecommunications carrier for the telephone numbers you have been unable to reach. The current rates charged by carriers are cost prohibitive. There is a legal requirement for all companies to interconnect if one carrier requests to do so from the other carrier. We hope we will be successful in doing so.

In the meantime we would be happy to offer you a refund of your unused magicJack and related services per pro rata method, i.e., if used six months, the refund would be approximately $20.00.

Please return your magicJack to the following address and enclose a refund request that includes your name, magicJack phone number and full mailing address.

magicJack, LP

Attention: Consumer Issues Department

P. O. Box 16176

West Palm Beach, FL 33416

We will credit the form of payment you used to purchase your magicJack or mail you a check.

Should you choose to return your magicJack for a refund, future registrations may be prevented.

Sincerely,

magicJack Customer Care"
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic talk banner Reply with quote

[quote="fitter108"]Has anyone on here actually got rid of the banner and if so how?[/quote]

Yes & No.
I can get rid of the ads, but the (now black) screen on the left is still there.

Open a command window.
Menu > Run > cmd

In the resulting window, type the following
(except for the part in <> - those are my comments for you!)

cd \windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -r hosts
notepad hosts

<now you are in editor. Insert the following line at the bottom of the file>

127.0.0.1 render.talk4free.com

< save the file as hosts.>
<Notepad will try to add ..txt on the end of the filename >
< Don't let it! Use Save AS and change the file type to ALL FILES >
<exit the editor>

attrib +r hosts
exit

<end of commands>

You should return to windows and the ads are gone.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But just remember then you will no longer see the reminder from MJ when your account expires.
Then we will be getting messages here on how people's MJ is no longer working and if they wait to long to renew how they are not getting a full yr for their $20 ( as MJ uses the ORIGINAL experation date, not when you renew). Also in some cases people have lost their # by waiting to long.
So that is something to keep in mind.
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: magicJack NOT billing? Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
But just remember then you will no longer see the reminder from MJ when your account expires.
Then we will be getting messages here on how people's MJ is no longer working and if they wait to long to renew how they are not getting a full yr for their $20 ( as MJ uses the ORIGINAL experation date, not when you renew). Also in some cases people have lost their # by waiting to long.
So that is something to keep in mind.

I've only heard one complaint about that (probably same one) Wink

Usually it's:
how do I get my credit card info out of there / how did they get my credit card info?
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me it will happen. Why do you think MJ removed the DND after one of their updates? They were tired of getting questions about why their MJ won't ring anymore. Because people forgot they had DND enabled. Also why our contact list is no longer stored on our PC's? Because when people formatted their MJ's ( by the advice of "support" ) they lost their contacts as they were not smart enough to save them elsewhere. So they took that away and now have it on THEIR servers.
It will happen where people forget to renew and then the crap hits the fan here....
There always unintended consequences in pretty much everything....
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Well, if anybody can scre things up - it's magicJack! Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
Trust me it will happen. Why do you think MJ removed the DND after one of their updates? They were tired of getting questions about why their MJ won't ring anymore. Because people forgot they had DND enabled. Also why our contact list is no longer stored on our PC's? Because when people formatted their MJ's ( by the advice of "support" ) they lost their contacts as they were not smart enough to save them elsewhere. So they took that away and now have it on THEIR servers.
It will happen where people forget to renew and then the crap hits the fan here....
There always unintended consequences in pretty much everything....

Good points!

FYI There's a script on dslreports.com that amigo_boy wrote to backup your contacts list. I've downloaded it, but not got around to trying it.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw that but I use MagicFeatures and having a contact list on MJ isnt as important to me anymore as now I need to enter my contacts into MF speed dial section in order to have the name and number come up on my phone. The last update from MJ REALLY messed things up for a lot of people and Redpepper really came through with his update to MagicFeatures to make everything work again. Considering they were blindsided by the MJ update as well. They really stand behind their products..

Last edited by bitstopjoe on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Magic features sounds good. Will wait until I'm unblocked... Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
Yeah I saw that but I use MagicFeatures and having a contact list on MJ isnt as important to me anymore as now I need to enter my contacts into MF speed dial section in order to have the name and number come up on my phone. The last update from MJ REALLY messed things up for a lot of people and Redpepper really came through with his update to MagicFeatures to make everythign work again. Considering they were blindsided by the MJ update as well. They really stand behind their products..

Magic features sounds good. I did look at it briefly, but I think I'll wait until my telco's exchanges are unblocked.

With this gadget, it's nice there's some Good support for it from somebody. Very Happy
tsmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for redpepper and crew. They put MJ support to shame (not that MJ needs any help on that score). Makes you wish redpepper's team had developed a similar magicJack device.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsmith wrote:
Another vote for redpepper and crew. They put MJ support to shame (not that MJ needs any help on that score). Makes you wish redpepper's team had developed a similar magicJack device.

Ah yes PepperJack and it looks like a little cheese wheel........... I can see it now, very "gooda" Smile
tsmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comes with its own "mouse".... Wink
rhodges
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: You COULD call next door, but MJ blocks it. Reply with quote

"1. Your telephone company is small and/or rural?"

Well, not really. It was Verizon until recently when Frontier took over in most of West Virginia. Same Scenario with either.

"2. When you try to call, you get 3 "fast busy" tones and are disconnected"

This really has never happend to me. We have had no problems making calls anywhere so far and my wife makes a lot of them. I seldom receive calls on MJ so am just assuming that there is no problem there. (Still have my Frontier Phone service to receive calls and for local service).

The issue to me is the unavialability of Phone Prefixes almost anywhere unless one is lucky enough to live at the one, or few locations where they are provided in a state. Ironically, WV does have a half dozen or so, but naturally none are for my location. Virginia for example has only one prefix available for the whole state which is relatively in the middle of nowhere seems to me. Arlington in the DC area nor the Va. Capital have any prefixes. By comparison, some localities have several (Baton Rouge for example).

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading.
RTH

fujifilm99 wrote:
rhodges wrote:

Respectfully:
RTH

Let me take 2 wild guesses:
1. Your telephone company is small and/or rural?
2. When you try to call, you get 3 "fast busy" tones and are disconnected.

There are no technical issues. magicJack (MJ) can fix this at any time with the flick of a switch. They are just too cheap to pay the connection fees, so they are blocking these numbers (including all of Alaska).

There are a great deal of people addressing this issue in a(nother) unofficial forum on dslreports.com (it's free - I promise).

I recommend that you check out the topic "Forums � VOIP etc � Voice Over IP - VOIP � MagicJack � HELP- Magic Jack can't call local ISP area code" - the link for which is: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24566829-HELP-Magic-Jack-cant-call-local-ISP-area-code

Some of us have received the following email message from magicJack with their interpretation of and "solution" to the issue:

"Dear magicJack Customer:

We are working on interconnecting with the telecommunications carrier for the telephone numbers you have been unable to reach. The current rates charged by carriers are cost prohibitive. There is a legal requirement for all companies to interconnect if one carrier requests to do so from the other carrier. We hope we will be successful in doing so.

In the meantime we would be happy to offer you a refund of your unused magicJack and related services per pro rata method, i.e., if used six months, the refund would be approximately $20.00.

Please return your magicJack to the following address and enclose a refund request that includes your name, magicJack phone number and full mailing address.

magicJack, LP

Attention: Consumer Issues Department

P. O. Box 16176

West Palm Beach, FL 33416

We will credit the form of payment you used to purchase your magicJack or mail you a check.

Should you choose to return your magicJack for a refund, future registrations may be prevented.

Sincerely,

magicJack Customer Care"
tdbone1
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm
i thought this thread was about MAGICTALK BANNER AND PROMO CODE!!!

can we get back to that?

has anyone any info on magictalk and that promo code?
i want to try it out or read about it.

i thought along time ago we were supposed to get magictalk.
what is going on?
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdbone1 wrote:
ummm
i thought this thread was about MAGICTALK BANNER AND PROMO CODE!!!

can we get back to that?

has anyone any info on magictalk and that promo code?
i want to try it out or read about it.

i thought along time ago we were supposed to get magictalk.
what is going on?

Yea, I think the promo code is "Santa Claus", because you have to believe in him if you think anything MJ promises happens anywhere close to when it should.
jenneys
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re:tech support Reply with quote

hi,
guys if you need any type of Technical Support so i
am providing a very best information to all
the best way of the good knowledge is the info
support and advice is mytenerr
----------------------
tips ,
programming
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re:tech support Reply with quote

jenneys wrote:
hi,
guys if you need any type of Technical Support so i
am providing a very best information to all
the best way of the good knowledge is the info
support and advice is mytenerr
----------------------
tips ,
programming

But obviously you don't support the use of the English language...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: