magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magicjack useless for incoming calls.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnvan
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Magicjack useless for incoming calls. Reply with quote

I've been pretty impressed with Magicjack except for one major problem.

I'm running on a thinclient, call quality is great, but incoming calls frequently receive a fast busy signal. This makes the magicjack useless as a replacement for my home line.
I will now only use magicjack for outgoing calls and keep my landline for all incoming. Not much of a moneysaver and a little impractical to have 2 sets of phones in the house.
It's going to take a lot of long distance calls to pay for the magicjack, thinclient and new cordless phones.
notdeadyet
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Ditto!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

same problem here, and I've set up 2 phone systems as well...sort of have to if we want to keep a land line as well Sad
Are you a US or CDN area code, as it seems all of us CDN's are having this problem, and hopefully MJ will get to it, and fix it.
johnvan
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian. I should have save the $10 and got a U.S. number.

If it's all of us in Canada we better let tech support know so they can at least have record of it.
notdeadyet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!
That's what I'm trying to determine so I can call and make that CLAIM!!!
Kenny2469
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I've had fast busy every so often... I restarted my computer and it went away... But still annoying cuz u dont know that its happening, as outgoing calls were made fine with no trouble...
notdeadyet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my case rebooting the computer isn't a factor since I have the MJ number call forwarded, so I believe the problem still lies with the servers, and perhaps our CDN area codes are not getting the best servers to use yet.
johnvan
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it's got to be on their end. I've only had the magicjack a few weeks but it's been on 2 different computers, both were restarted several times and the problem has been present with all of them.
I have noticed peak times is worse.
My ISP is Bell Sympatico, they do throttle in the evening. Call quality is still good but maybe this has something to do with it.
Are you with Bell?
notdeadyet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Cogeco, but I'm not sure it's their servers we talk about here, is it.........isn't it the servers MJ uses or assigns it's lines to????? Perhaps someone could step in and explain more about the servers used for MJ, such as: are they in Canada, or US, service provider or MJ supplied, etc. Thanks!!
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notdeadyet wrote:
I'm with Cogeco, but I'm not sure it's their servers we talk about here, is it.........isn't it the servers MJ uses or assigns it's lines to????? Perhaps someone could step in and explain more about the servers used for MJ, such as: are they in Canada, or US, service provider or MJ supplied, etc. Thanks!!
Servers are in the US. You could try switching which server your MJ connects to to see if this helps.
johnvan
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things seem to have gotten better. I don't receive many calls on my magicjack but haven't had any of the fast busy signal problems in a week or two.

Anybody else notice an improvement?
notdeadyet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

things seem to be great since I spent over an hour complaining about the poor CDN service, where they said they had a problem, and were looking into it Wink
JamietheRoadie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that this is an older post, but I'm curious. You mentioned something about international calling -- does the magic jack have unlimited international calling or does that cost extra? If it costs extra, I would say that it's not really worth it to have the magic jack if you're going to keep your land line. However, that's just one opinion. However, if you just so happen to make lots of international calls and it's cheaper, then that's wonderful.
freestylegreek
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting fast busy signals for incoming calls and i know the problem is with magicjack and NOT us.

They better fix it soon.
fujifilm99
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Fast busies - how many tones? Reply with quote

Sounds like an idiotic question, but I was wondering if you were getting a continuous fast busy or perhaps 3 fast busies followed by silence/disconnection?

The latter indicates a "reorder signal" and can indicate no MJ connection to the number (or not enough). In my case, it indicated that they were NOT connected to the Telephone company that serviced the area code and exchange I was trying ("573-439-nnnn").

It happened to any number served by that telephone company and was duplicated by another MJ user calling in from another area. It was totally reproducible and exactly the same.
johnvan
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fast busy signal for me. Things were great for a few months but went downhill again recently. I've stopped using it for incoming calls.
It's a bit of a pain to have two sets of cordless phones in my house but outgoing is still good for cheap long distance.
It's a shame though, visual call display works great, I always get both name and number, call waiting is good (even plays music for the person on hold) and I love having voicemails emailed to me in .wav format. It could have been so good but when people try to call for several days and continue to get fast busy signals it just kills it. I'd pay triple the price if they could fix that issue.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting read.. Read all 4 pages...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24566829-HELP-Magic-Jack-cant-call-local-ISP-area-code

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: