magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack to Net Talk Duo Migration.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thurman
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: MagicJack to Net Talk Duo Migration. Reply with quote

I didn't want the computer on 24/7. I was thinking in the long run about the power consumption. And the huge heater like beast of my PC being on all the time. The cost of the electricity would bring me around about to where I was.

Also looking for the CORRECT think client was a task. When found the MJ requirement changes with updates. Also the average cost of a think client on ebay (MJ ready) is well over $75.

The cost of a Net Talk Duo is around $69. I realize that the cost per year is $10 more than the MJ. But it takes me back to all of the power consumption. With the Net Talk you don't need a PC. Setup is simple and easy and basically that is it. Make sure your Router is compatible.

No 10 digit dialing. Caller ID. I think that both are nice products. Personally this works best for me.

Anybody else made the change from MJ to Net Talk Duo?
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with MJ, and still use mine. It hasn't failed me. Added NetTalk and Ooma. For me, NetTALK is great. Mj is very good. Ooma is fine.
Freedom1911
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: MagicJack to Net Talk Duo Migration. Reply with quote

Thurman wrote:
I didn't want the computer on 24/7. I was thinking in the long run about the power consumption. And the huge heater like beast of my PC being on all the time. The cost of the electricity would bring me around about to where I was.

Also looking for the CORRECT think client was a task. When found the MJ requirement changes with updates. Also the average cost of a think client on ebay (MJ ready) is well over $75.

PC power usage is a factor that I did not take in to consideration when I first got the MJ but recently looked at when I began looking at the Duo.
At current energy prices a PC probably uses about 50.00 a year, maybe less but I believe much more than 10.00. The Duo I would be surprised if it used .75 cents a month, probably less.
It is 10.00 more a year for the service but the cost savings is covered by the lack of PC burning electric 24/7

Quote:
The cost of a Net Talk Duo is around $69. I realize that the cost per year is $10 more than the MJ. But it takes me back to all of the power consumption. With the Net Talk you don't need a PC. Setup is simple and easy and basically that is it. Make sure your Router is compatible.

I recently set one of these up for a friend. And it was much less complicated than the MJ. He is happier with the Duo service/ call quality, and I think once he understands the cost savings because of a PC not running all the time, he will be happier still.

Quote:
No 10 digit dialing. Caller ID. I think that both are nice products. Personally this works best for me.

My friends Duo does have to use the 10 number dialing system. Otherwise calls will not go through.

Anybody else made the change from MJ to Net Talk Duo?[/quote]
MattressTester
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: From MJ to NetTalk Duo Reply with quote

I switched from MJ to NetTalk last November. MJ is resting in my desk drawer with about 3 months service left on it. I disabled the MJ auto renewal. Anyone calling my MJ number gets a message to call my NetTalk number. I won't rehash why MJ didn't work for me - you can read that on my older posts. I can tell you what is good about the DUO:

1. The voice quality is consistently good, incoming and outgoing calls.
2. I save about $4 a month in electricity not running a dedicated PC with MJ.
3. NetTalk works with our phone answering machine which the family likes.
4. NetTalk works wired to a total of 3 phones plus a DirecTV receiver.
5. DirecTV won't call out with NetTalk but on-screen caller ID works.
6. 9 number dialing works. Speed-dialing, as setup on their web site, works.
7. Caller ID works on the one phone which has that feature.
8. I've only had to reset the unit (power off/on) once.
9. Anyone calling us or using our home phone has no idea they are calling via VOIP unless we tell them.
10. Spoke to their customer service folks on a billing question and they were courteous, knowledgable, and solved the issue.

Why did I have to call NetTalk customer service? Well, I bought the DUO during a 1/2 price promotion. They sent and charged me for two in error. I called CS, they emailed me a pre-paid return label and promptly credited my account. That's great service, not just from a VOIP company but from ANY company.

I use AT&T DSL Xtreme 6.0 with a Linksys WRT54GL (Tomato). It worked fine without Tomato but I installed it recently so I could measure my bandwidth usage. Anyway, it�s nice to have reliable VOIP without a PC. The fewer variables in the process, the better.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also made the change from MJ to NetTALK. Direct calls to NetTALK are great but forget about using it with Google Voice. NetTALK has a screwy setup where the call is answered right away and then presents an artificial ring tone. Google Voice thinks the call has been answered and no other phones ring and if you do not pick up NetTALK fast enough, Google Voice hangs up.
Alan332pf
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Primo Reply with quote

As long as any man exists,there is some need of him;let him fight for his own.
Darkbob
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laserjobs wrote:
I also made the change from MJ to NetTALK. Direct calls to NetTALK are great but forget about using it with Google Voice. NetTALK has a screwy setup where the call is answered right away and then presents an artificial ring tone. Google Voice thinks the call has been answered and no other phones ring and if you do not pick up NetTALK fast enough, Google Voice hangs up.

Ouch! Google Voice is a deal breaker for me. I had a NetTalk and returned it. The NetTalk web site says you can use it with Faxing and that's why I bought it. But it doesn't work any better than a Magic Jack (which is to say it doesn't work at all for faxing).

Now with the MJ Plus available at the same price and direct to Ethernet, I'm kinda glad I did return the NetTalk.
Pablo123
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a netTALK DUO and it works great with GV and my brother Fax machine.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hmmm, I am surprised to hear that ANY VOIP service works great with fax.
BTW I do not understand why people still use fax. Shocked
Pablo123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask conniemadeagain!
kleeb
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:

I worked for Cisco years ago (pre Lynksys acquisition), and their VoIP firmware had a way to detect a fax call and handle it correctly. Dunno about consumer hardware, but perhaps some is fax-ready and some not, accounting for some VoIP faxes working and others not.
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablo123 wrote:
ask conniemadagain!

yes?

I have to use a fax and I used it with nettalk and the mj plus ...

Not everyone wants or can accept an email with .pdf attachment ... so faxing is no choice for some of us ...

FYI, a week ago I did a 11 page fax from HP printer at 9600 w/nettalk ...

have done 1 page faxes from my computer at 14.4 w/mj + ...

so that is why Cool
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not everyone wants or can accept an email with .pdf attachment ... so faxing is no choice for some of us

Question Question
I can imagine other attachments, or even Word files ( since I use Open Office, I cannot copy, paste or print them) but pdf? Never had a case like that.
Off course, in a setting that somebody still has a land line and fax but no computer/internet but that is increasingly rare
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
or even Word files ( since I use Open Office, I cannot copy, paste or print them)

I've had pretty good luck working with Word and Excel files within OpenOffice, for what it's worth. I haven't for a while, but I have opened and converted a bunch of both to OpenOffice formats with only an occasional formatting issue. More recently I saved OpenOffice word and spreadsheet documents in Microsoft formats so I could post them on a WindowsLive account to make them available to family.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've had pretty good luck working with Word and Excel files within OpenOffice, for what it's worth. I haven't for a while, but I have opened and converted a bunch of both to OpenOffice formats with only an occasional formatting issue. More recently I saved OpenOffice word and spreadsheet documents in Microsoft formats so I could post them on a WindowsLive account to make them available to family.

I wish somebody could explain me how to do that.... Rolling Eyes
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
I wish somebody could explain me how to do that.... Rolling Eyes
I'm a tad confused, which is nothing new for me. The rolling eyes leads me to assume you are being sarcastic. So I'm still left to wonder why you can't copy, paste or print Word in OO.

But to continue my rambling. The other thing I like about the WindowsLive set-up is that within that program it will copy the xls file and save it as a xlsx file and the family members can make any changes online.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I was not sarcastic .My eye rolling was about the whole issue, not about what you said. The simple fact is that I cannot paste copy or print anything in Word. Read only.
The only thing I can do is to ask people to send it as pdf . Unfortunately, nobody I know uses OO because they do not trust it and they refuse to download it.
I downloaded Libre office too because OO was taken over by Oracle and unlike Sun Microsystem ( which is gone) they do not belong to my favorite companies list.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
No, I was not sarcastic .My eye rolling was about the whole issue, not about what you said. The simple fact is that I cannot paste copy or print anything in Word. Read only.
The only thing I can do is to ask people to send it as pdf . Unfortunately, nobody I know uses OO because they do not trust it and they refuse to download it.
I downloaded Libre office too because OO was taken over by Oracle and unlike Sun Microsystem ( which is gone) they do not belong to my favorite companies list.

Sorry. First time I've received the eye-roll where someone was wanting more info.

When I converted my Word files, and this should work for any Word or Excel file you have saved, I first opened them in OO. Then clicked on "file" and "saved as". It will save it in the same doc (xls for Excel) format, so you need to use the pull down menu to get the odt (ods for Calc) file option. Save it and you should be all set. You should be able to do anything you want to the document now. I kept both versions of the document on my computer until I was comfortable that the OO files were working okay, and eventually deleted the doc and xls files.

Edit: After thinking more about it, I'm not sure why you aren't able to open the Word documents in OO and do whatever you need and keep them in the doc format. I've kept some of my spreadsheets in both xls and ods formats, and other than a message asking me if I'm sure I want to keep the xls format, I've had no problems with it. In any event I'm using version 3.3, so maybe there is a difference in versions, or you might just need to re-install your version.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
: After thinking more about it, I'm not sure why you aren't able to open the Word documents in OO and do whatever you need and keep them in the doc format. I've kept some of my spreadsheets in both xls and ods formats, and other than a message asking me if I'm sure I want to keep the xls format, I've had no problems with it. In any event I'm using version 3.3, so maybe there is a difference in versions, or you might just need to re-install your version.

The machine came with 90 days trial of Word after its expiration, I could not do anything, later , I downloaded a 2002 version from a disc somebody borrowed me and I could at least read the doc files without being able to print them or doing anything else with them.
I am wondering whether complete wipe out of everything related to Word my help the issue.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
The machine came with 90 days trial of Word after its expiration, I could not do anything, later , I downloaded a 2002 version from a disc somebody borrowed me and I could at least read the doc files without being able to print them or doing anything else with them.
I am wondering whether complete wipe out of everything related to Word my help the issue.

It's making a little more sense to me. I would delete any Word program you have. I would then just use OpenOffice for any word documents that you already have or are sent to you. You should be able to either keep them as word documents or convert them to an OO document as outlined earlier. Either way, you should be able to modify and/or print them via OO.

I have never used it, but I would also assume that Libre would work similar to OO with word documents as well.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That will be the course of action for the weekend. Libre is very similar to OO, both create .odt file abbreviation.
unicorns43
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
Quote:

its to get a signed document or any document to another party quicker than the mail.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unicorns43 wrote:
cell14 wrote:

its to get a signed document or any document to another party quicker than the mail.

Without speaking for him, I'm sure cell14 understands the purpose of sending a fax. But I'm also sure he is like me and wonders why not just scan the signed document and send it as a PDF file via email.

There are apparently still businesses that, for some antiquated reason, think a copy of a signed document via fax, that almost always end up looking like crap on the receiving end, is better than an almost perfect copy of the same signed document received via email. Makes absolutely NO sense in 2012, or even in 2011 when this thread was last posted on.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Without speaking for him, I'm sure cell14 understands the purpose of sending a fax. But I'm also sure he is like me and wonders why not just scan the signed document and send it as a PDF file via email.

There are apparently still businesses that, for some antiquated reason, think a copy of a signed document via fax, that almost always end up looking like crap on the receiving end, is better than an almost perfect copy of the same signed document received via email. Makes absolutely NO sense in 2012, or even in 2011 when this thread was last posted on

You know my way of thinking! Laughing Laughing
In the past, I had many problems with fax copies of contracts being sent back and forth with minor changes. After going four times through the fax machine ( and some of them went more often ) nobody can read it any more, not the original text and unfortunately, sometimes not even the changes/endorsements. It is a recipe for disaster and I learned my lesson.
Years ago, you had to take your chances because it was either fax or spending hundreds of $ on Fedex/ courier service for something what in 80 % of all cases did not materialize. Fortunately, scan/email provides the solution.
BTW I still have a fax machine in my garage, any offers ? Wink
BILLY_KIDD
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Ranking VOIP Reply with quote

[quote="Nobody beats the Whiz!"]I started with MJ, and still use mine. It hasn't failed me. Added NetTalk and Ooma. For me, NetTALK is great. Mj is very good. Ooma is fine.[/quote]

I rank my Ooma #1. My MJ and Duo are tied for #2 in sound quality and service; with the edge to Duo for bettter customer support.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: