magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

magicJack's New FREE MagicTalk Softphone Service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: magicJack's New FREE MagicTalk Softphone Service Reply with quote

Excerpts from http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/aug/13/131808/company-behind-magicjack-to-banish-calling-costs/news-money/

"MagicTalk would go one better by eliminating fees for calling landline and cell phones in the United States and Canada, with no time limits on the calls.

The software will be available next week for Windows and Mac computers. Versions for the iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry and Android phones will follow in September or October, said Dan Borislow, CEO of VocalTec Communications Ltd.

Each magicTalk user gets a phone number that's associated with the software. Users also will be able to move their existing phone numbers to the service for a fee, a feature that soon will be extended to magicJack users."
Bill Smith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this press release, Magictalk launched on 12/25:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/VocalTec-to-Launch-magicTalk-pz-745912814.html?x=0&.v=1
conniemadagain
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Smith wrote:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/VocalTec-to-Launch-magicTalk-pz-745912814.html?x=0&.v=1

just installed it ... crap ... now uninstalling it ...
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conniemadagain wrote:
Bill Smith wrote:

just installed it ... crap ... now uninstalling it ...

Let me know how you uninstall it. I have no separate files just for the MagicTalk. And when I asked them a few weeks ago, they couldn't or wouldn't cancel my account.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I tried to cancel MagicTalk again with no success, at this point.

I had 2 active MJ's, one due to expire 12-31. Since I wasn't getting ANY 911 info on my new device, I decided to deactivate it since it was just about done, to see if that would pop the 911 info on the new device, as someone mentioned it would.

The good news is that it worked, the 911 is on the new device and in green for the first time ever. They had me deactivate by clicking on the stolen/lost tab on the mymagicjack screen. Which turns into just a stolen device and deactivate telephone number tab. I was nervous about clicking on that, since the phone number is linked to both devices, but he said it was ok, and it worked fine.

Then we moved on to MagicTalk. This guy told me I could cancel my MT account. I don't have a clue what he did on his end, but he had me delete the MagicJack program pull out my device and re-install it.

The bad news is that at this point the MagicTalk account is still active. It's only been a short while since I asked to cancel it, so maybe it takes a while. The other bad news is that all 3 accounts still are showing on the mymagicjack page. The old device has a tab to re-activate it. And there is no change to my new device or MagicTalk number. I was hoping to get that cleaned up a bit, but you can't win them all. I'm just thrilled that clicking on "deactivate number" didn't shut the whole thing down.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner... what's the downside to having your MT account active? I'm presupposing you have the one that's free till January 1, 2011.

Do you suspect they'll use your existing information on file to charge you?

I just checked and discovered I have TWO Magic Talk accounts. As a precaution, I disabled the auto-renew feature.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
nailgunner... what's the downside to having your MT account active? I'm presupposing you have the one that's free till January 1, 2011.

Do you suspect they'll use your existing information on file to charge you?

I just checked and discovered I have TWO Magic Talk accounts. As a precaution, I disabled the auto-renew feature.

Nothing that I'm aware of. But knowing MagicJack, I assume that the less of their stuff I have on my system the better off I am, especially since anything I downloaded on it seems to be buried deep somewhere.

The one thing I don't like is having 3 accounts listed on mymagicjack.com. I can never get it to stay on the one account I am actually using. So if I want to set up call forwarding, I have to change the subscription showing, it ALWAYS defaults back to the MagicTalk one. That's just a minor pain in the butt, but I was hoping that would disappear in the delete, but no such luck.

And as of right ...now...it's still active, so it seems you can't kill it off, but not that big a deal. But it does make you wonder why they won't delete it. Maybe so they can claim X number of users at some point.

Edit: And it is the free one. I haven't technically renewed anything with them yet so they have nothing to use for an auto-renew, so I've never changed any of those settings. Auto-renew away on me.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But it does make you wonder why they won't delete it. Maybe so they can claim X number of users at some point.

I would have to agree with your logic. After all, Dan only has so many relatives.

Since I have two MJ numbers, I'm going to have to make a decision soon whether to renew or let them go. One expires in March, the other in April. At the moment, my ooma device seems to be working well, so I'm going to have a hard time justifying keeping them just to maintain two working numbers.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
Quote:
But it does make you wonder why they won't delete it. Maybe so they can claim X number of users at some point.

I would have to agree with your logic. After all, Dan only has so many relatives.

Since I have two MJ numbers, I'm going to have to make a decision soon whether to renew or let them go. One expires in March, the other in April. At the moment, my ooma device seems to be working well, so I'm going to have a hard time justifying keeping them just to maintain two working numbers.

Same here, I have NetTALK now and the magicJack sits in the drawer. Doubt I will renew if everything is still working well with NetTALK.
Sumrall
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laserjobs wrote:

Same here, I have NetTALK now and the magicJack sits in the drawer. Doubt I will renew if everything is still working well with NetTALK.

My MJ would expire next month as well. Even though is seldom used since getting NT, $20 for the next year of having two outside lines is hard to beat - I did extend another year.
DocLove
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the mistake of allowing the mTALK software onto my account; I have a temporary free license that I will refuse to pay for when it expires in March, 2011. So far I have been able to defeat the magicTALK popup by simply unplugging my magicJACK from the USB port (without shutting down magicTALK first) and then plugging the MJ USB back in. This has worked every time so far, and allows me to go online with my MJACK.

I am beginning to think that MagicJack (the company) is running out of money, and is trying to FORCE everyone to INVEST in magicTALK.

I refuse to do so, as everyone (doctors, friends, businesses, etc . .) call me on my magicJACK number.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocLove wrote:
I made the mistake of allowing the mTALK software onto my account; I have a temporary free license that I will refuse to pay for when it expires in March, 2011. So far I have been able to defeat the magicTALK popup by simply unplugging my magicJACK from the USB port (without shutting down magicTALK first) and then plugging the MJ USB back in. This has worked every time so far, and allows me to go online with my MJACK.

I am beginning to think that MagicJack (the company) is running out of money, and is trying to FORCE everyone to INVEST in magicTALK.

I refuse to do so, as everyone (doctors, friends, businesses, etc . .) call me on my magicJACK number.

Magictalk starts when your system doesn't recognize your MJ dongle is connected. Try a different USB connector or get a powered usb hub.
Plenty of data here to troubleshoot your problem...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: