magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack rate increase Jan. 20 to $29.95/yr

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
osilee
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: MagicJack rate increase Jan. 20 to $29.95/yr Reply with quote

Rates before Jan. 20:
1 year $19.95
2 year $39.90
5 year $69.95

After Jan. 20:
1 year $29.95
2 year $59.90
5 year $99.75

This is for all the regular magicJack users
mwCT
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Making the MJ Competitive with the MJ+ Reply with quote

Sounds like they are making the MJ competitive with the MJ+. Or maybe they need the cash?
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Making the MJ Competitive with the MJ+ Reply with quote

mwCT wrote:
Sounds like they are making the MJ competitive with the MJ+. Or maybe they need the cash?

This was first reported months ago in one of the reviews for the Plus. Since other pricing info in the reviews turned out to be false, I was slightly surprised that this one turned out to be true.

My totally amateur opinion is that this is part of an overall strategy to discontinue selling the regular MJ, and eventually stop supporting it.

And I'm sure Mr. Dan always needs more cash.
mwCT
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Sooo Sorry Reply with quote

What happens when MJ says MJ is dead (e.g. you cannot replace a broken dongle), long live MJ+ and you still have 5 years on your MJ?
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sooo Sorry Reply with quote

mwCT wrote:
What happens when MJ says MJ is dead (e.g. you cannot replace a broken dongle), long live MJ+ and you still have 5 years on your MJ?

Drop back 5 and punt??????????????
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sooo Sorry Reply with quote

mwCT wrote:
What happens when MJ says MJ is dead

I don't think they would make an official announcement that it is dead. I just think we would see a huge increase in postings on here about how it's not working right. And a bunch more postings of long customer service chats, that none of us will read.

If they get all the bugs out of the Plus, this price increase just about removes any reason to buy a regular MJ, imo.

And regardless, anyone who buys a 5 year package on any VOIP service isn't making a common sense decision, imo.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This was first reported months ago in one of the reviews for the Plus. Since other pricing info in the reviews turned out to be false, I was slightly surprised that this one turned out to be true.

My totally amateur opinion is that this is part of an overall strategy to discontinue selling the regular MJ, and eventually stop supporting it.

And I'm sure Mr. Dan always needs more cash.

I fully agree with that. Dan is taking a gamble here, though. Considered the quality and reliability of the service, the level of customer support, the shady way of doing business and the negative aura around the CEO it is IMO risky to give up the only competitive advantage MJ has.
For my part I cannot discover any reason why I should renew the service after expiration late April. probably the only question will be whether to spend the $ 27 for the two-step porting to Google Voice or just to let it expire and go.
notdeadyet
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sooo Sorry Reply with quote

[quote="nailgunner"]
mwCT wrote:
And regardless, anyone who buys a 5 year package on any VOIP service isn't making a common sense decision, imo.

Sorry, but I take offense to that statement Sad I was paying over $20 a MONTH for Long Distance service, and now after paying ONLY $69 for 5 years, I've gotten my money's worth even after only 2 years in, and still have 3 more to go. And even if I did loose some of my remaining years, SO WHAT!!!! I'm already way ahead as it is, plus adding the savings that the price will now be $99 for 5 years......and who say's MJ regular will die????? the MJ and MJ+ are still the same device when used with a computer and not the router. I really don't see them be able to shut the MJ down...they just won't replace them when they die a natural death Wink
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
Dan is taking a gamble here, though. Considered the quality and reliability of the service, the level of customer support, the shady way of doing business and the negative aura around the CEO it is IMO risky to give up the only competitive advantage MJ has.
For my part I cannot discover any reason why I should renew the service after expiration late April. probably the only question will be whether to spend the $ 27 for the two-step porting to Google Voice or just to let it expire and go.

It's a big gamble. But with auditors issuing fairly recent "going concern" audit reports, it must have dawned on someone over at MJ that things couldn't stay the same. Who knows what goes on over there. One day MJ will probably be used as a case study on how to screw up a company at Harvard Business School.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sooo Sorry Reply with quote

notdeadyet wrote:
nailgunner wrote:

Sorry, but I take offense to that statement Sad I was paying over $20 a MONTH for Long Distance service, and now after paying ONLY $69 for 5 years, I've gotten my money's worth even after only 2 years in, and still have 3 more to go. And even if I did loose some of my remaining years, SO WHAT!!!! I'm already way ahead as it is, plus adding the savings that the price will now be $99 for 5 years......and who say's MJ regular will die????? the MJ and MJ+ are still the same device when used with a computer and not the router. I really don't see them be able to shut the MJ down...they just won't replace them when they die a natural death Wink

You're way ahead of the game renewing one year at a time. The amount saved over a 5 year period amounts to 50 cents a month. ($30/60). Makes no common sense to me to put out money to any VOIP company on a more than year to year basis, especially one like MJ. Just an opinion, continue to be offended.

And I'm not sure you are correct that they are the same device. I believe they use a totally different chip inside.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkbob
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I locked in for 5 but even at $29 its still a deal.
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH DAMN ...
I do not get paid till the 21st ... OMG what will I do ... what will I do ...
Embarassed

laserjobs wrote:
AlanM
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Inexpensive service Reply with quote

I started using MJ more than three years ago. After I was satisfied that MJ met my minimal needs I signed up for the additional 5 yr plan. My motivation was to support MJ development as well as to reap the rewards of saving some money.

I now have two years of service left. I decided not to extend my service for the following reasons:
anticipated competitive development
I'm 67 and not that optimistic about 5 yr plans for my future Wink

From a business perspective, I don't see how MJ can survive by charging so little...but I am glad they do. I am disappointed by the number of cheap bastards that I see posting complaining about paying $19.95 for MJ!
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive service Reply with quote

AlanM wrote:
I am disappointed by the number of cheap bastards that I see posting complaining about paying $19.95 for MJ!

Most of us cheap bastards are happy paying $19.95 a year. Most of us are with MJ, and tolerate dealing with possibly the worst-run company in the US, because we are cheap bastards.

But now charging $29.95 a year puts pressure on the built-in cheap-bastardness in some of us though. Especially when we may be able to soon switch to a competing product for a one-time charge of "significantly less than" the $29.95. Cool
Public_Domain
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nailgunner,

Can you enlighten us on exactly what you mean by, "competing product for a one-time charge of "significantly less than" the $29.95"?

Thanks!
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public_Domain wrote:
Nailgunner,

Can you enlighten us on exactly what you mean by, "competing product for a one-time charge of "significantly less than" the $29.95"?

Thanks!

I "assume" he is talking about the new GVJack app Redpepper is releasing soon. It is discussed elsewhere in this forum.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:

I "assume" he is talking about the new GVJack app Redpepper is releasing soon. It is discussed elsewhere in this forum.

Correct-a-mundo.

In case he needs the link to the discussion:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/gvjack-app-converts-mj-dongles-to-google-voice-t11822.html
black_icon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just renewed today but the price is not changed yet. Not sure when will be the effectivity of their update but good thing I was able to renew with the original price
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jeison
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saved $135.00 a month, over the past two years, i am so glad i got bell out of my system,

29.00 a year is a steal.

i still have four more years to go, before renewal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: