magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack Plus w/residential gateway Cisco DDR2200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crlewis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: MagicJack Plus w/residential gateway Cisco DDR2200 Reply with quote

I'm having trouble making my MJ+ work with my router. It has port triggering and port forwarding under "Virtual Servers" tab. I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I've searched, but can't find anything related to my router/gateway. I've spent numerous hours with support via "Live Chat". They can't seem to walk me thru it either. My router seems to be aproblem with them. I have Prism Tv that goes thru the router along with internet service. What happens when Mj is plugged in it always drops out after a few minutes. I assume it's something to do with the ports. We just can't get it to work. Couls anybody assist me with the provess for my particular router and give me any suggeatios. The MJ+ works fine thru my computer. Please help, Thanks
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not the ports at all. Don't mess with port forwarding or port triggering except for as an absolute last resort.

From the way you've described it, it sounds like it's more likely to be something related to the IP address that your router assigns to the MJ+ automatically (assuming you're trying to use the MJ+ as a stand-alone device connected directly to your router). Or it could be related to your router's SIP or NAT implementation.

The first thing *I* would do if I were you: Go through all of your router's preference settings (via its web interface) and study the heck out of each and every one of them. Then do whatever it is you have to do to force the router to assign the MJ+ the exact same IP address all of the time. When you do this, keep in mind that the router "knows" each connected device by its MAC ID/address, which will show up in any listing of devices connected/attached to the router's LAN. Also, make sure that whatever IP address you assign to your MJ+'s MAC ID/address falls within the range of IP addresses that the router is set to utilize on a day-to-day basis.

But the problem could be hardware-based. Search this website for info re the MJ+'s LED lights so that you'll know how each light is supposed to be working to indicate proper operation of the MJ+. Also, I recommend using a good Cat 6 cable rather than the cheapo one that comes with the MJ+, check to make sure that all cable connections are firm/secure, and use the little USB extension cable that comes with the MJ+ to connect it to its a.c. adapter.
crlewis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve for your response. I did what you recommended and here is what I got. Got a new Cat 6 cable and used the ext. cable that came with the MJ+. Plug it all up and the phone works for about 2 minutes then drops out. While it is working the Blue light is ON, Yelow and Green Lights BLINK. When phone quits/drops out only the Blue light is ON. While plugged in to the gateway/router the Lan Lt is lit while the phone is working. After it drops thou the LED on router goes out. I've reset the router and MJ. After logging into the router software, I can see the 6C .... address that is supposed to be related to the MJ, but that's all I know it.
Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly your MJ+ is losing its connection with its Ethernet port on your router. Assuming you have more than one Ethernet port on your router/modem unit, and each Ethernet port has its own LED, here's what's *supposed* to happen:

When the MJ+ is properly connected to the router but NOT on a call, its GREEN LED should remain solidly lit 99% of the time and its AMBER LED should blink on & off relatively slowly but consistently; the router's Ethernet port LED should remain solidly lit 99% of the time. Throughout a call the MJ's AMBER LED should continue to blink relatively slowly but consistently, its GREEN LED should now blink on & off *rapidly*, and on most routers the Ethernet port's LED will *also* blink on & off rapidly. When the call is *properly* ended all of the MJ's and router's LEDs should return to their pre-call state. In your case, at about the 2-minute mark into a call your MJ's green & amber LEDs go out COMPLETELY, as does your router's Ethernet port LED - correct? So at that point the two devices are losing their Ethernet connection with each other.

This could be caused by a defective MJ device (and/or defective firmware within it); a problem with the router, its settings (*probably* not the port triggering or forwarding settings though), or the specific Ethernet jack that your MJ+ is connected to.

So first we have to determine whether or not the problem is with the MJ+ device or with the CenturyLink router in some way.

I do not have CenturyLink, but a relative of mine who lives only 5 mins. from me has their "triple play" service. I'll try to get over there and try out my MJ+ on that setup; if I experience the same problem that you do then we'll know that the problem is NOT with the MJ device. But I probably won't be able to do that until tomorrow sometime.

In the meantime, given that the order of system setup is important, I suggest you do the following (if you haven't already):

1. Unplug the MJ+ from its a.c. adapter but leave it connected to the router via the Ethernet cord.
2. Disconnect the CenturyLink network line going into your modem/router unit.
3. Unplug the modem/router unit from its a.c. power source.
4. Wait 3 minutes.
5. Reconnect the CenturyLink network line to the modem/router unit.
6. Reconnect the modem/router to its a.c. power source.
7. Wait up to 10 minutes for the modem/router unit to fully re-initialize itself with the CenturyLink network and your CenturyLink account etc.
8. Reconnect the MJ+ to its a.c. adapter.
9. Wait 3 mins. for the MJ+ to fully connect with your router and the MJ network.
10. Try a call and see if the problem still exists; it probably will, but it's always a good idea to make sure that the proper connect/startup procedure has been followed.

ALSO (if you haven't already done this):

1. Start up your pc and make sure it has a good router and Internet connection.
2. DISABLE any antivirus software's on-access scanning (Norton, Windows Defender, Microsoft Security Essentials, whatever), any pc-based firewall that you may have turned on, and automatic sleep and hibernation modes.
3. Disconnect your MJ+ from its a.c. adapter and Ethernet cable.
4. Plug the MJ+ directly into one of the pc's USB ports.
5. Wait 3 mins. for the MJ+ to fully load, check for software that it needs, etc.
6. Once the MJ+ is done doing its thing, connect a phone to it. Make sure you have the MJ software settings correct for use with your pc and phone, then try a call and see if the same problem exists..
7. After the trial call, shut down the pc. Then remove the MJ+ from the pc USB port. Then reconnect the MJ+ to the router-connected Ethernet cable. Then reconnect the MJ+ to its a.c. adapter. Wait 3 mins for the MJ+ to do its thing, then try another test call.

Make a note of all results & post here, ok? I'll post as soon as I can try out my MJ+ on my relative's CenturyLink Prism setup.
crlewis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Thanks again for your time. I tried the two steps. Got the same response thou. 1st test or attempt. after reconnecting the MJ to the a.c. adapter NO.8 of you reply, The blue lt stayed on, Amber stayed solid and the Green blinked. All this for about a minute and all lights went accept the Blue. I picked up the phone and it said, Error 23, check your internet connection. I did thru the computer and it was fine. The light on the router for the Mj connection (LAN 3) even went out.
So, I went to the next section of your reply went thru the update process etc. Made a call and it all works fine thru the USB computer connection. Which it always has. It just won't work with router/gateway.
I hope this helps. I do really appreciate your time with this. I have been on "Chat" with MJ in the past and they can't seem to understand the concept of my connection with centurylink and the router thing. I might add that it used to work sometimes with my old set-up, westell router and Directv. I would have to reboot the router often. The MJ would just drop out. I believe I had the port thing forwarde on that router. This one thou I couldn't figure out how to do it. Ihope all of this helps. Thanks Again
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, really does sound like a router issue. Won't be able to try mine out on a CenturyLink system until tomorrow though.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First try turning off SPI (Page 196)
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/at_home/IPTV/4036168_B.pdf

If that doesn't work, try reserving an IP address specifically for Magicjack (Page 127) and then placing MJ in the DMZ (Page 226).
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, other people have had some difficulties with the CenturyLink-provided routers as well. Some have found success by simply attaching another, more basic and inexpensive router-only device to one of the CenturyLink router's Ethernet jacks and then connected the MJ+ to one of the Ethernet jacks of the added-on router. However, others have NOT had such problems. I suppose it may vary based on the router model and/or how the installer set the various router preferences.

Laserjob's suggestions may be worth a try too. But before you do ANYTHING else, do whatever you need to do to make sure that your CenturyLink router's firmware is up-to-date. THEN...

FIRST: Set the router to assign a specific ("static") IP address consistently/all of the time to the MJ+ (as I've already suggested) but don't forget to check to make sure that the assigned IP address is not already in use by another device AND that it falls within the range of IP addresses that the router is set to dole out to devices.

SECOND: Also, check to see if your router has MAC address filtering turned on; if it does, check to make sure that your MJ+'s MAC address is included in the router's list of allowed MAC addresses.

*If* the above don't resolve the problem:

THIRD: Try turning the SIP or SIG ALG(ORITHIM) setting on or off, whichever would be the OPPOSITE of what it's currently set at.

FOURTH: ONLY IF the problem is still not resolved should you try setting your router to establish a "DMZ" (and then entering the MJ+'s info into the DMZ if possible). Doing this is ALWAYS a last resort, and only a TEMPORARY measure, because it offers NO security. If you do this and it doesn't solve the problem, disable the DMZ ASAP.
crlewis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,
I finally got back to my MJ+ problems. Regarding Laser's response, "First try turning off SPI (Page 196)

If that doesn't work, try reserving an IP address specifically for Magicjack (Page 127) and then placing MJ in the DMZ (Page 226).
I reserved the IP address of the MJ, page 127, but have a question about , page 196, putting the address in the DMZ. Which address do I put in? My Lan IP address or the PC address from the DHCP lease screen. I'm sorry I'm probably not qualified for all this, but I,m learning thanks to you guys. I'm just confused now on the address,s.
Thanks Again for all your help.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crlewis wrote:
Hello All,
I finally got back to my MJ+ problems. Regarding Laser's response, "First try turning off SPI (Page 196)

I reserved the IP address of the MJ, page 127, but have a question about , page 196, putting the address in the DMZ. Which address do I put in? My Lan IP address or the PC address from the DHCP lease screen. I'm sorry I'm probably not qualified for all this, but I,m learning thanks to you guys. I'm just confused now on the address,s.
Thanks Again for all your help.

The MJ IP from the DHCP lease screen
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRLEWIS -

Sorry for the delay; I forgot that this past weekend was our area's high school graduation weekend - VERY busy.

At any rate, I tried out my MJ+ on my sister's CenturyLink Prism installation by connecting it directly to her CISCO DDR2200-CL ADSL2+ modem/router unit, and it worked PERFECTLY, even though SHE has Prism's phone service operating (made and received calls lasting well beyond a couple of minutes without any problems whatsoever). NO use of DMZ was necessary, nor was any messing with port forwarding or triggering.

So I suggest that - if you haven't done so already - try connecting your MJ+ directly to someone else's router to see if the problem still exists; if it doesn't, then your problem definitely is not with your MJ+.

Here are some of the*potentially* relevant settings of my sister's router:

Under Services Control List:
FTP - LAN=ON, WAN=OFF
HTTP - LAN & WAN=ON
ICMP - LAN=OFF, WAN=ON
SSH - LAN=ON, WAN=OFF
Telnet - LAN=ON, WAN=OFF
TFTP - LAN=ON, WAN=OFF

Interface Name="LAN-Bridge"

Under VOIP Basics:
Location=USA
Preferred Codec List - NONE/blank
Preferred Ptime=20
SIP Domain name=NONE/blank
"Use SIP Proxy" AND "Use SIP Outbound Proxy"= OFF/DISABLED (for both)

MAC, Incoming IP AND Outgoing IP Filtering, Parent Control filtering, and URL filtering - ALL OFF/DISABLED

Regarding Advanced SIP Configuration:
Expiration/Timeout=3600
DTMF Relay Setting=VOICE BAND
SIP Transport Protocol=UDP
"Enable SIP Tag"= CHECKED/Enabled
(Enable Music is OFF)

SPI HACKER PATTERN AND ANTI-DoS FIREWALL ARE BOTH OFF/DISABLED (I find this interesting but that's the way CenturyLink configured it)

Make sure your router's location and time settings are CORRECT.
Be careful with using ANY "parental controls" by the way...

PORT MAPPING:
ALL "Defaults" are ENABLED
"Enable Virtual Ports on LAN(1-4)" is CHECKED/ENABLED
NAT PORT TRIGGERING=NONE/BLANK/EMPTY
NO STATIC ROUTES ENTERED/ESTABLISHED
"Automatic Assigned DNS" is checked/enabled (but I'm sure you can manually enter an alternative, such as OpenDNS's info if you wanted to)

"Enable IGMP Snooping" is CHECKED/ENABLED, as is its "BLOCKING" option
IGMP Forward Settings (be careful before modifying these settings of YOURS):
Query Internal=125
Query Response Internal=10
(Query Version=Version 3; Last Member Query Internal=1; Last Member Query Count=2)

IPSec SETTINGS: BLANK/NOTHING ENTERED

Under "WAN QUICK SETUP":
ALL Port/Vpi/Vci's VLAN MUX's are OFF, and all STATES are ENABLED.

DHCP Server is ENABLED/turned on (of course)
Starting/Ending IP address range: .64 - .253 (- these are the last 2-3 digits of the full IP address, of course) - DO NOT INCLUDE THE ROUTER'S OWN IP ADDRESS!!!!
LEASE TIME=24 HOURS

Reserved IP address - *SHOULDN'T* be necessary, but can't hurt and can only help your particular situation.

I hope this helps.

Specific port forwarding/triggering settings for MJ are *definitely* NOT necessary with your modem/router unit. I found it interesting that CenturyLink set it up with the router's DoS (etc.) firewall OFF - maybe they know something...
crlewis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven, I thank you for all your persistance with my problem. I'm out of town now and can't check the setting s etc on my MJ etc. I won't get back to it until 2nd week of June. I'll check all that out and report back.
Thanks Again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: