magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magicjack Plus stops working every other day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SophiaW
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Magicjack Plus stops working every other day. Reply with quote

Hi. I have had a magicjack for five years and has worked wonderful, loved it. I had it on an old computer and they were both fried in a lightening storm. So I updated and got a magicjack plus, started over picked out a new number.

Here is my problem. The magicjack plus works when plugged into the computer. (This does me no good because I don't want it on the computer!)

Then when I plug it into the wall (no usb extention) it works... but every other day it stops working. There is no dial tone and the orange and green lights are out. Like clockwork it does this every other day, and alternately I:
1. unplug it and plug it all back in and it starts working, or
2. that doesn't work and I get on with costomer support and they do fiddle with it and it starts again.

I have already:
- Replaced the power adapter
- Replaced the ethernet cable
- Done the upgrade on my computer
- magicjack has reset it from thier end
- Reset something in the router to some kind of gaming mode with the magicjack plus

I have been on with costomer support six times and yesterday was the last time where they reset the router. Now it stopped working again this morning, I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it is working. But I can't do that every day, wait untill it stops then restart it. Any ideas? I am about to pull my hair out.

Thanks!
max2198
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the routers DHCP Lease time set it to the highest setting
some routers the default DHCP lease time is one day some are set for two days try changing the setting for 7 days to see if this helps
Los Angeles jack
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of router do you have? My suggestion might be a little extreme but maybe try another router. Some routers can be bought for as little as $30 on newegg, micro center, tiger direct, etc. If taking this route I would try a different brand as well, Linkys, Netgear, Belkin, etc. Hope you get it resolved quickly, let us know how it turns out.
SophiaW
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a linksys router. It is the same one I have had for several years. I'm going to figure out how to, and reset the DHCP lease time, see if that does anything...
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to check to see if your MJ+ is actually continuing to get power when the green & orange LEDs stay off. Its power LED is BLUE; the green & orange ones signify an Internet (via Ethernet) connection.
CallBob
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Maybe the new one is a piece of shit . Reply with quote

Maybe the new one is a piece of shit .
SophiaW
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I reset the DHCP lease time for 8640 minutes. We will see if this works!
SophiaW
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I reset it and changed the router exactly 24 hours ago, and it just now stopped working. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it started back up as usual, but I can't do this every day. Apparently the router change did no good.
Sad
Any ideas anyone?
(Also, the blue power light is always on. It is just the orange and green light that goes out, no dial tone.)
CallBob
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Internet Connection Reply with quote

Are you on a LAN or a Wi Fi ? Don't tell me it's a dial-up ..... Rolling Eyes
SophiaW
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly I don't have dial up. I have high speed cable. My router is:

-Wireless-G 2.4 Ghz 52Mbps, Broadband
- Model WRT54G
- WLAN

It happened again, right around at noon every day it stops working and I Unplug everything and plug it back in. Would on earth could that be? It is obviously something shutting it down or resetting every 24 hours.
CallBob
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did fix the same problem by 1st spending $24. on a new router and then found out that even though my cable modem is working , by rebooting every day ...it fixed the problem also without having to unplug the magical jack ...so that indicated a trip to the office and switched for a new modem and now things are working properly . So use the dongle and get another modem to fix your problem .
SophiaW
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand clearly what you were saying. Was the bottom line your router that was the problem?
And the dongle your were referring to, is that the mgicjck plus?

Thanks!
CallBob
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright ... yes , get a new router if you have not already done so and then take the modem in for a new one from your provider because that's the problem even if it does not seem so . Use the dongle that came with the magic jack plus to dissipate any heat issue .

Bob
Gene45
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed at the number of different problems and symptoms.
My MJ+ has quit several times and been fixed through the chat process. In two different sessions the people changed my router settings, in two different places.

The issue of the lights is interesting because the only one that ever shows is the amber light when plugged into the router, and the system is working. It stops flashing when the phone quits Chat says it is green. To me it is either amber or yellow.

Every tech asks about the blue light, which is never there, working or not, but the fact it isn't there seems not to be a bad sign.

I'm not sure if anyone really understands how this thing works...........
Denny2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Hot MJ plus Reply with quote

I think the problem is that the Magic Jack Plus when pluged into the wall outlet gets hotter than when pluged into the USB port.
I took off the side cover of the Magic Jack Plus and exposed the electronics and have a small electric fan blowing on the electronics of the MJ plus.
If any electronic componet gets above 90 degrees F, it will fail, unless it's some sort of military grade componet.
This has solved my problem with the MJ plus, I have the Green and Amber lights on top all the time. Before, I wwould pick up the phone and no dial tone or someone would be saying ERROR.
Denny
max2198
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Magicjack plus is working you should have an amber led flasing, a green led solid but flashes once in awhile. also where the + symbol is there should be a blue led that is solid and a white led flashing over the blue led. Did you try using the short usb cable between the magicjack and the ac adapter. The magicjack will pickup heat from the ac adapter.
CallBob
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I had a UFO over my house and took a few shots at it with my rifle ... now my MJ works fine !
SophiaW
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Got a new router. Didn't do a lick of good. Same thing, stops every 24 hours.
CallBob
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophiaW wrote:
Ok. Got a new router. Didn't do a lick of good. Same thing, stops every 24 hours.

Is it getting hot ?
Los Angeles jack
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophiaW wrote:

Seems like you tried everything. The only remaining solution might be to email them and ask for a replacement. If they agree they will send you an RMA number along with their address where to send it.

[email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: