magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack Plus Static IP setup under My Subscriptions??????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
livewire94
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: MagicJack Plus Static IP setup under My Subscriptions?????? Reply with quote

I opened ports on my router for the Magic Jack Plus, 5060 and 5070 UDP. My question is: What settings do I enter for setting up a static IP address on my Magicjack plus on the Magic Jack My Subscriptions page?

I can copy most from my PC's network details. What is a Broadcast IP? Where do I find that?

I want to setup a static IP on my MagicJack Plus so that the router doesn't assign a different IP to it therefore closing those ports.

Live Chat Tech Support people are a joke.
nexus6
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: MagicJack Plus Static IP setup under My Subscriptions??? Reply with quote

livewire94 wrote:
I opened ports on my router for the Magic Jack Plus, 5060 and 5070 UDP. My question is: What settings do I enter for setting up a static IP address on my Magicjack plus on the Magic Jack My Subscriptions page?

I can copy most from my PC's network details. What is a Broadcast IP? Where do I find that?

I want to setup a static IP on my MagicJack Plus so that the router doesn't assign a different IP to it therefore closing those ports.

Live Chat Tech Support people are a joke.

Here is a chatlog I had with support about the same issue.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Garnet'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK5540164****X

Garnet: Hello, how may I help you?

Steve: Hello, I have assigned a static IP via the web portal and it seems to not be taking effect on my unit.

Garnet: May I know the exact nature of your problem with full details please?

Steve: Sure, under my account in my.magicjack.com I assigned a static ip address to my magicjack eg. I disabled DHCP and the device is still pulling

dhcp after being power cycled and is not being assigned the address I specified.

Garnet: One moment please...

Garnet: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.

Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

You are not currently in a chat session.

You are now chatting with 'Virgil'

You are now chatting with 'Marcus'

You are now chatting with 'Cara'

Steve: Hello?

Cara: hi Steve

Cara: I will be assisting you

Steve: Steve: Hello, I have assigned a static IP via the web portal and it seems to not be taking effect on my unit. Garnet: May I know the exact nature

of your problem with full details please? Steve: Sure, under my account in my.magicjack.com I assigned a static ip address to my magicjack eg. I

disabled DHCP and the device is still pulling dhcp after being power cycled and is not being assigned the address I specified.

Cara: please hold

Cara: may I ask if you have any problems with your account?

Steve: No it is working fine.

Cara: okay

Steve: But I need to be able to assign a static address as specified on the web portal so I can put my firewall rules back in place.

Steve: What do I need to do to get the static addressing to take effect?

Cara: you do not have to

Cara: you can put your firewall back on

Cara: just make sure the udp ports 5060, 5070 goes through your firewall

Steve: Yes, those are the sip ports, however to complete the call I will also need UDP 10000-65535 open outbound. I would prefer to only do that for the

single ip I specified. The option to assign a static ip is on the website what do I need to do to have the setting take effect?

Cara: just add the ip address of your computer

Cara: or you can assign any ip address to it

Steve: Add the address of my computer to what? I am asking how to assign a static ip address to the magic jack and NOT use DHCP. This is really not a

difficult question and the option is clearly in the customer portal.

Cara: you do not have to do that Steve

Cara: just add udp ports that I gave you to your firewall

Cara: and you can put your firewall back into place

Steve: Cara, I have already tried that, yes opening those ports will allow the sip session to establish but not pass voice traffic. I have confirmed

this via my outbound access list registering UDP outbound denies for the DHCP assigned address. I understand that I do not NEED to do this but

understand that I WANT a static ip address assigned to my device.

Cara: add the ip address of your computer

Steve: To what!!! Cara I do not mean any disrespect but I require someone with a bit more knowledge of how your system works or at minimum someone who

can answer my original question. I can handle the firewall configuration, all I need from you is to know how to assign a static ip to the magic jack

device.

Cara: please listen

Cara: we only open the ports that I gave you on the firewall using the IP address of your computer

Cara: that is how we do it

Cara: we also do portforwarding on routers

Cara: using the ports I gave you'

Cara: using the ip address of your computer

Cara: that is all

Steve: Yes Cara fair enough. Now you listen. I understand that but I was not asking you about firewall configuration or the ports that need to be

forwarded. I understand all of that. The question is how do I assign a static address to the magicjack.

Cara: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.

Steve: On my.magicjack.com after logging in and selecting my account there is an option labled "MagicJack plus static network configuration" click

configure, then you are presented with a form, ip address, subnet mask, gateway, broadcast address, and dns servers. I have specified all of these and

would like them to take effect.

Cara: do you have your static ip already?

Cara: |

Steve: yes, and I have configured it via the portal.

Cara: please go to control panel

Cara: please open network and sharing center

Steve: ok

Cara: please click View Status or click Local Area connectino

Cara: connection

Cara: click Details tab

Steve: and?

Cara: find Internet Protocol Version 4 and click it

Cara: then click Properties'

Steve: ??

Cara: please click Use the following IP address

Cara: type the static IP address there

Steve: Cara, it seems we have a misunderstanding. I am not trying to assign a static address to my computer, I want to assign it to the magicjack. I

have a magicjack plus that will work without a computer, and it currently does but is pulling DHCP.

Cara: .

Steve: to make this easier, what if I gave you the hypothetical situation I am a customer that has a magic jack plus but it is not receiving DHCP, how

would you assign an address to it.

Cara: do you have a magicjack plus?

Cara: '

Steve: yes

Cara: is your magicjack plus plugged to your router right now?

Steve: One moment please.

Steve: Sorry about that. Yes Cara it is

Cara: is your magicjack plus connected to your router now?

Cara: please give me the brand and model of your router

Steve: Cisco ASA5505

Cara: are you able to login to your router?

Cara: is that from linksys?

Steve: Yes I can login, no it is not from linksys. What does my router have to do with this?

Cara: please login to your router

Cara: find dhcp and click dhcp clients list

Cara: you will see the ip address of your magicjack plus there

Cara: and its mac address

Cara: okay, then you add magicjack plus ip address to where you want to assign static ip

Steve: Ok, it sounds like you are asking me to do a DHCP reservation based on MAC address. Cisco however in their infinite wisdom has decided not to

support DHCP reservations on the ASA platform.

Steve: The option to configure a static address for the magicjack plus is in the customer portal configuration I am not sure why this needs to be so

difficult. I am just asking why it is not taking effect.

Steve: Cara to make it simple, my magic jack is working fine, it is on IP: 172.16.252.57 I want it on 172.16.252.10 and to remain there indefinitely.

Cara: may I ask if you have added the static ip on your magicjack.com?

Cara: my.magicjack.com?

Steve: Yes I have.

Cara: did it take effect?

Cara: what message did you receive?

Steve: No it did not take effect that is why we are talking Wink I did not receive any sort of error message.

Cara: try to logout from my.magicjack.com

Cara: and login again

Cara: try to use mozilla firefox

Steve: Ok, I did and all the settings are correct on the my.magicjack.com site.

Cara: Is there anything else I may help you with today?

Steve: Yes, the problem is not resolved.

Steve: the magicjack still has the ip of 172.16.252.57 and I need it to have 172.16.252.10 as I defined in the my.magicjack.com portal.

Cara: there could be an issue on your end Steve

Cara: there is no other way to do it

Cara: try to restart your computer and redo the steps

Steve: Cara, restarting my computer has nothing to do with this. How could it be a problem on my end when the device is working properly, sending and

receiving calls but refusing to accept the static ip specified in the customer portal?

Cara: why not just leave this 172.16.252.57 if your magicjack plus is working fine?

Steve: Cara, I really appreciate you trying to help but do you have someone who is more familiar with advanced network configuration? To answer your

question, because my security policy will not allow it. I need to write security rules for the device, if I write the rules for 172.15.252.57 after the

DHCP lease expires it will renew its DHCP lease with likely a different address from the pool thus invalidating my rules and therefore my phone will not

function until I manually correct it again.

Cara: there is no other way to do this than your account at my.magicjack.com

Cara: or you can try to do it later'

Steve: Ok, now we are getting to the root of the issue. The settings are correct on my.magicjack.com, however they are not taking effect on the device.

Is there anything special I need to to to facilitate the change? Does the device need to be plugged into my computer for the change to take effect?

Cara: there is nothing that is needed further for this Steve

Cara: nothing to do to facilitate the change

Steve: Ok, then why has the ip not changed?

Cara: can you try to plug in your magicjack plus on this computer

Cara: then redo the steps again

Steve: sure.

Steve: ok, I have re-saved the settings on my.magicjack.com, I have connected it to this computer and placed a call via the usb connection.

Steve: I will now disconnect the device and hook it back up via ethernet.

Steve: ok, the static ip address configuration still did not take effect.

Cara: can you try to restart your router and modem and try it again

Steve: sure

Steve: ok all devices restarted

Cara: try to unplug your router Steve

Cara: for 30 seconds

Cara: and plug it back

Steve: I did, it is not back online yet.

Cara: do you have a very small hole at the back of your modem?

Steve: I am not sure what that is going to prove with repect of the static ip on the magicjack unit.

Steve: no I do not.

Cara: please try to unplug your modem for 15 seconds and plug it back

Steve: Cara, why are you trying to get me to reset my router to defaults?

Cara: no

Cara: just to restart it completely

Steve: I am talking to you on my laptop via my iphone so we don't get disconnected Wink

Steve: I have unplugged it, it does not really get more complete than that.

Cara: please do it again

Steve: Ok, but what does my router have anything to do with your system sending the commands to assign a static ip address to my magicjack?

Cara: please do again the adding of static ip address

Steve: I am not having a problem with my router, or my magicjack placing or reciving calls. The only problem is it is not picking up the static address

I assigned to it through the website.

Steve: ok.

Steve: Ok, the device still remains configured for DHCP.

Cara: is the issue fixed now?

Steve: No Not OK, the device is supposed to be STATIC not DHCP.

Steve: Cara, I know you are trying really hard to help but is there someone who is more knowledgeable about the static assignments you can transfer me

to?

Cara: there is nobody that I can transfer you to

Steve: Ok, then how do we get the problem resolved.

Cara: I will be reporting your issue to the department who can handle this

Steve: Ok, what do I need to do.

Cara: nothing, just wait for somebody to return to you through email

Steve: ok, I trust they will review our chat logs to fully understand the issue?

Cara: Yes

Cara: they will review everything

Steve: Ok well very good then, when should I expect some information from them?

Cara: I do not have a time frame when their response will be

Cara: but expect an email from them

Cara: just wait for the email okay?

Steve: Ok.
conniemadagain
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an email you most likely will NEVER receive ...

I was told that 3 or 4 years ago ... still waiting ... Laughing
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any day now, any day now Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SARBound
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree this is pathetic...

We have to support ourselves most of the time. Smile
nightstryke
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with cheap service comes personal responsibility.
markcooperstein
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that the last post was several months ago, but as of February 18 MagicJack has NOT fixed the problem relating to static IP. I read with humor nexus6 aka Steve's transcript with Cara (if that *really* is her name). I am trying to do the exact thing Steve is trying, use the MagicJack portal to set a static IP on my MagicJack plus, but although the web-based portal says it has successfully set it, my router reports back that it has NOT, it is still at the DHCP doled out IP. My foray with the MagicJack support lasted almost 3 hours and was totally useless. At one point the tech wanted me to go into control panel and change the sound settings on my computer! "Press Start, Control Panel", yadda yadda. What a waste of time! When I responded that I was on a Mac, all I got was "Pledase Wait.. I will be right with you", blah blah. I finally gave up and insisted it be escalated to someone who understood networking. The tech finally responded with "you will be contacted via email when the problem is resolved" insinuating that they know that the problem is on their end. What a total waste of time and energy! I absolutely hate online tech support, and I hyave to say MagicJack is the WORST!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: