magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magicjack Plus - Record call

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
netpicker9
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Magicjack Plus - Record call Reply with quote

Hi,

Is there a freeware software available which records magicjack PLUS calls? Before MJ plus I was using regular MJ and with that I used OrkAudio, since MJ PLUS is not connected to computer I don't know which software to use.

Thanks
Public_Domain
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried it with MJ+ hooked up to the same computer?
netpicker9
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to use USB (connected to computer). Is it possible to record with out connecting to computer? I tried Cain, it works but I had to leave application open. I wanted to use Oreka, I installed and its not recording anything.. I don't anything in c:\oreka\audio folder.
netpicker9
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Any ideas why?
mh1983
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MJ+ connected to your router is just that: connected to the router, not your computer. Thus, you cannot use a recorder on a computer that cannot interface with the MJ+; it would only work, as someone else said, when the + is hooked up to USB.

In your case, you'd need a hardware recorder that somehow interfaces with your phone that's connected to the +.
electron
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple, you don't need anything, login to your MJ account the logs are online.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electron wrote:
Simple, you don't need anything, login to your MJ account the logs are online.

- Incorrect; no online call log is maintained when calls are made via a MJ+ that is connected directly to a router or modem. And the original poster asked how to record calls made via a MJ+ connected as above.

To record calls made via a MJ+ connected directly to a router or modem, you need to purchase a separate device - such as a telephone call recorder or an answering machine that has that capability built into it - and connect it "between" the MJ+ and the phone (or cordless base unit) that you're using with the MJ+.
electron
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected, sorry. Embarassed
netpicker9
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we can record calls using Cain and Abel software, I just don't know how to run Cain & ABel in the background. That's why I am using OrkAudio. Any ideas?
mh1983
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read my post? You can't use software to record calls from a MJ+ plugged into the router.
vpnavy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mh1983 wrote:
Did you read my post? You can't use software to record calls from a MJ+ plugged into the router.

B U M M E R !
holmziep
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Recording MJ (+) audio Reply with quote

Yup, it can be done easily. Use any recorder with your soundcard. Plug a cable into the mike or line input. and connect it to a little transformer, a capacitor or two, and some back-to-back 1n914 diodes, and a few 1K ohm resistors, and the hook up is easy. 'AC' Hum, ground loop prevention are most likely needed unless you are lucky. DC isolation is necessary because the phone line has the audio riding over a DC voltage. DC is High "onhook" and low when you pick up the phone (off-hook). Use a Capacitor to block that DC voltage, so you get only the audio. (though sound cards may have one on the mike or line input already). They also may have clamping diodes on the input to prevent stupid people like me from connecting a power supply to the line input.

You would also need a isolation transformer $6.00 to prevent hum from a ground loop. If you otherwise short together the two phone wires (through the transformer winding) coming from the phone line, the magic jack thinks you picked it the phone up. that's why you need the capacitor(s). A .1 or .01 uf @ 100 volt ceramic disc capacitor (s) should do it

Even if you do this, you need a audio recording program that would start recording when there IS audio. A "VOX" or Voice operated Transmit" Audio Operated Switch in the recording software could time and date stamp the recording and make a file name for the audio. and record it until 10 seconds after audio stops It's all out there already. This arrangement would also record the tremendous 20 hz 'ring' from the magicJack (90 volts??) whick a phone needs to "ring" upon an incoming call. Some back-to-back diodes and a few series resistors could reduce the maximum current and voltage to a safe level on the computer's soundcard input side. that will git yor attention!!

Holmziep

Anyone want to draw up a schematic?
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Recording MJ (+) audio Reply with quote

holmziep wrote:
Yup, it can be done easily. Use any recorder with your soundcard. Plug a cable into the mike or line input. and connect it to a little transformer, a capacitor or two, and some back-to-back 1n914 diodes, and a few 1K ohm resistors, and the hook up is easy. 'AC' Hum, ground loop prevention are most likely needed unless you are lucky. DC isolation is necessary because the phone line has the audio riding over a DC voltage. DC is High "onhook" and low when you pick up the phone (off-hook). Use a Capacitor to block that DC voltage, so you get only the audio. (though sound cards may have one on the mike or line input already). They also may have clamping diodes on the input to prevent stupid people like me from connecting a power supply to the line input.

You would also need a isolation transformer $6.00 to prevent hum from a ground loop. If you otherwise short together the two phone wires (through the transformer winding) coming from the phone line, the magic jack thinks you picked it the phone up. that's why you need the capacitor(s). A .1 or .01 uf @ 100 volt ceramic disc capacitor (s) should do it

Even if you do this, you need a audio recording program that would start recording when there IS audio. A "VOX" or Voice operated Transmit" Audio Operated Switch in the recording software could time and date stamp the recording and make a file name for the audio. and record it until 10 seconds after audio stops It's all out there already. This arrangement would also record the tremendous 20 hz 'ring' from the magicJack (90 volts??) whick a phone needs to "ring" upon an incoming call. Some back-to-back diodes and a few series resistors could reduce the maximum current and voltage to a safe level on the computer's soundcard input side. that will git yor attention!!

Holmziep

Anyone want to draw up a schematic?

LOL ! Pretty good one there Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: