magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack Plus and current MJ User - upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavilaso
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: MagicJack Plus and current MJ User - upgrade Reply with quote

Hi all, does anyone know if MJ will give a discount to current MJ users, for upgrade to MJP??? or we will have to get a new services????
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: MagicJack Plus and current MJ User - upgrade Reply with quote

gavilaso wrote:
Hi all, does anyone know if MJ will give a discount to current MJ users, for upgrade to MJP??? or we will have to get a new services????

There is no way to be 100% sure at this point since they are pretty silent on all things MJPlus but my opinion is that there is about a 0% chance that there will be any upgrade offered.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Likely, the best one could hope for is the ability to purchase the Plus at full price and transfer remaining MJ subscription time over to the new unit.

Profit margins must be fairly tight, so it's understandable.
Bill Smith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy if I could transfer my remaining time and prepaid international minutes.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if one would lose the "first year service included" that normally comes with the new Plus, as a result of the transfer.

Just a guess, of course.
nostrodamus
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw a review for the MJ Plus, apparently published today. It finishes with the following statement:

A company representative said the Plus will be available to existing magicJack customers in July 2011, before it hits the general retail market.

So Dan's going to give us a chance to buy one before he goes retail? Well, OK. Maybe that means a discount or maybe not, but I hope he's not notifying me by phone, because my old MJ hasn't been plugged in for months, and I'll be damned if I can remember whether or not I forwarded the number (since most of my calls were coming through a Google Voice number anyway)

The review is here, for anyone who wants to read it.....

http://www.ecoustics.com/pcmag/reviews/2387735

....not really any new info there though, and not the most glowing review either. Though at least they have some decent pictures of the thing.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicJack could have really got some good PR if they had sent them to users and reviewers who really wanted the PLUS. Instead they decided to send them blindly to large sites who give them a mediocre grade comparing them to the competition. It is so important today to promote using social media by getting product to people who will tell everyone they know because it is just what they have been asking for. I will say I am more than a little surprised MagicJack is still in business based on missed opportunities and screw-ups.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who might be inclined to order it when offered to regular MJ users, my opinion is, it would still be better to wait. They are apparently charging an extra $10 to ship it to you. And they have been know to play a bit with the 30 days you have to return the regular MJ to them. For the regular MJ it is from the date you order it, not receive it. Just so much safer to buy from a retail store.

I do have a slightly off-topic question for the NetTalk users, if one is so inclined to respond. The guy mentioned 3 times having no Technical Support number to call as a main (and obvious) default with MJ. If NetTalk has great Tech Support phone service, why do users submit "trouble tickets" for some technical issues? I have seem a few users mention doing this, and then not getting a response to the ticket. If the phone support is one reason he preferred NetTalk over MJ, why would you need to bother with a trouble ticket? Or is their customer service basically good for minor/standard issues? Not trying to hammer NetTalk, just curious.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I prefer trouble tickets (Over phone and chat)

With a TT, I can provide a narrative that includes all the equipment info (mac, router, ISP, etc), then outline the troubleshooting steps I've already taken.

I really hate those no-brainer waste of time questions over the phone. "Have you tried resetting the router, modem, and Duo?" Those questions are typical with any tech support line.

They get to read it, digest it, and send back a (hopefully) logical next step. Since I have fairly solid troubleshooting experience, the problem almost invariably points back to them. Usually, they'll acknowledge that and either correct the issue or report that they have (already) id'd the issue and are actively working it.

I've only submitted a few tickets over time of ownership.

Phone support, to me, is when you want to ask a quick question about a possible outage, or progress etc.

There have been times when some trouble tickets go unanswered. That was (to my recollection) when a forum thread prompted a mass ticket submission about a known issue. They may have not been answered individually, but it did seem to step up their repair efforts.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:

Phone support, to me, is when you want to ask a quick question about a possible outage, or progress etc.

I have never really seen lack of telephone support to be that big a deal with MJ. They would probably work off the same scripts that the chat "techs" do, and be no more helpful.

It makes sense to have the phone support as the first line of defense for NT to avoid the ticket system being overwhelmed.

Anyway, was the response time reasonable for your tickets, like a half day or so? NetTalk is my current back up plan if MJ starts blocking calls on me and semi-direct contact with their version of the 10% chat tech would be nice.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nostrodamus wrote:

A company representative said the Plus will be available to existing magicJack customers in July 2011, before it hits the general retail market.

We should start a pool as to which day in July it will be available to us existing users. Not that I'm skeptical, but I pick August 12th.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:

I have never really seen lack of telephone support to be that big a deal with MJ. They would probably work off the same scripts that the chat "techs" do, and be no more helpful.

It makes sense to have the phone support as the first line of defense for NT to avoid the ticket system being overwhelmed.

Anyway, was the response time reasonable for your tickets, like a half day or so? NetTalk is my current back up plan if MJ starts blocking calls on me and semi-direct contact with their version of the 10% chat tech would be nice.

Lack of phone support is no big deal to me either, but I certainly understand why some prefer it. Chat support can become surreal when the customer is at wit's end and the chat support is coming across as a bot suggesting another reboot (which, of course, kills the chat session).

Lack of phone support may not be a significant negative, but the option of phone support must certainly be considered a plus.

Response time on my trouble tickets was very quick.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
nostrodamus wrote:

We should start a pool as to which day in July it will be available to us existing users. Not that I'm skeptical, but I pick August 12th.

You need to specify the year too Smile
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:

Now come on, all joking aside, you should be fair and cut them SOME slack. I'm sure the only reason for the delay is because they are having an internal corporate debate, and haven't been able to come to a consensus yet, about whether they should change the name of the soccer team to magicJack Plus before or after they release the product. Searching for that perfect "win-win" date. Shocked
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
VaHam wrote:

Now come on, all joking aside, you should be fair and cut them SOME slack. I'm sure the only reason for the delay is because they are having an internal corporate debate, and haven't been able to come to a consensus yet, about whether they should change the name of the soccer team to magicJack Plus before or after they release the product. Searching for that perfect "win-win" date. Shocked

Maybe they are waiting for the dogs to have a puppy so they can name it Plus Smile
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:

Maybe they are waiting for the dogs to have a puppy so they can name it Plus Smile

I find it more than a little curious that on the other thread talking about the other review, that the review is dated June 30, he has supposedly actually talked to Dan, and the first line of the review says:

"The magicJack Plus is due out very soon, perhaps as early as next month,..."

Next month is here, so PERHAPS as early as this month? I may want to change my pool guess to September 12th.
PoorMan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen, they have a very poor record of meeting estimated release dates. Here is a quote that I received from an e-mail via the magic Jack website a few days ago.

Quote:
We will begin shipping the new magicJack PLUS in approximately two weeks
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
VaHam wrote:

I find it more than a little curious that on the other thread talking about the other review, that the review is dated June 30, he has supposedly actually talked to Dan, and the first line of the review says:

"The magicJack Plus is due out very soon, perhaps as early as next month,..."

Next month is here, so PERHAPS as early as this month? I may want to change my pool guess to September 12th.

Again you must add year to your prediction date Smile
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:

Again you must add year to your prediction date Smile

Yea right. I may be a little bit on the opinionated side. But I know better than to stick my neck out that far. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: