magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magicjack on VirtualBox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killabx
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Magicjack on VirtualBox Reply with quote

Has anybody successfully installed MagicJack on Windows XP running under VirtualBox, with acceptable sound quality?

I see a lot of posts about it, but they usually diverge off to talking about VMWare, or somebody makes a comment that they got it working and then nothing more. If you've been able to get Magicjack working using VirtualBox, could you please provide some details about your setup? (VirtualBox version, host OS, computer specs)

Thanks!
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

zerofossilfuel
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I just got it working in Ubuntu 9.10. My machine is a Dell Precision 670, dual Xeon 2.8, 2GB RAM, integrated sound, VirtualBox 3.1.4. In VBox setup for my XP VM I use PulseAudio for Host Audio Driver, ICH AC97 for the Audio Controller. When I boot to the Linux OS I see a Magicjack virtual CD and a Magicjack USB drive on my desktop.

Start with the Magicjack physically connected.
If installing for the first time, it's important to dismount both MJ drives first.
Launch VitualBox and then the XP VM.
Connect the Tigerjet USB from the VM status bar.
MJ should launch and update. If not double click the MJ icon on the XP desktop.

On subsequent restarts I did not need to dismount the MJ drives on the Ubuntu desktop. The USB drive gets captured automatically when you connect it inside the VM. The MJ virtual CD just gets ignored.

Now, there are a couple of caveats I have found. First thing I noticed is, when windoze is the native OS, I found the call quality to be much better using the telephone handset. Using the headset through the sound card had quite a bit of jitter. With Ubuntu as the host OS and MJ running inside the VM the opposite was true. Using the headset was smoother.

2nd caveat is there was quite a bit of moaning from users who had trouble getting their mics to work in a XP VM using VBox. This was most definitely a VBox bug and it was only just recently "fixed" in 3.1.4. I put "fixed" in quotes because it's still not very good. In Ubuntu sound preferences I have to crank the input gain all the way up to 150% in order to push any mic audio to the VM at all. The XP mic gain control still has no effect whether you adjust if from inside the MJ GUI or XP recording controls (they're linked), and the audio that does get through is piss poor quality. Still a bit too soft and horrible S:N ratio. This may or may not be a function of using the motherboard integrated sound. I do know it's not the best to start with.

I have ordered a USB sound card that I think will make a good workaround to this problem. I plan to disable audio in VBox to the XP VM and mount the USB audio card from inside the VM. I'm reasonably confident this will work very well. I will update this post when the results are in.

Hope this helps.

Z
zerofossilfuel
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, my USB audio devices arrived today. Horrible performance inside the VM. Sounds like a vibrato. Got no audio at all from the internal host audio when I tried to enable it along side the USB audio. Didn't even bother checking mic audio.

So, if I want to use MJ inside a XP VM, it's back to using host audio only with very poor s:n.

I consider this experiment to be a flop. Mad

Edit: Just to update this post with the most current information, I have tried every possible combination of internal audio and USB audio; using the internal audio output and USB capture; vice-versa; only USB for both; only internal for both; all combinations with headset and telephone handset. The results are either very choppy audio one way, both ways, severe distortion and echo for the remote party, etc etc etc.

Bottom line: Magicjack works in Virtualbox but the quality it totally unacceptable.

We need a native Linux port! I would even buy another MJ USB device if I knew it would work correctly in Linux.

ARE YOU READING THIS OVER THERE???
zerofossilfuel
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to report some progress. Oracle just released VBox v3.1.6 March 25. I just saw it today. Updated from 3.1.4.

Pros: Audio quality is vastly superior. No more choppyness.
Cons: Still no effect using the native XP recording controls. There is now a very prominent one trip echo that I can't seem to eliminate. Both sides of a call hear their own echo. Tried all sorts of host Pulse audio settings to no avail.

I can live without the native XP recording controls. If I could just lose the echo I would change the experiment status to success.

All ideas welcome.
jowski
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to run magicjack on VirtualBox 3.2.0 on a 64bit slackware 13.0 host. I have XP loaded in a virtual machine, started it, and plugged the magicjack into a USB port after XP was up and running, then I selected the magicjack in the usb devices. The software loaded like it was supposed to. I did a quick check and the voice quality seemed to be as good as when I use my thin client and that's more than acceptable. I did have to comment out the Mount usbfs part in /etc/rc.d/rc.S so usb devices would be seen by the virtual machine and they seem to work fine in linux without executing that piece of code.

Jim
zerofossilfuel
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 6/21/2010 - VirtualBox is now up to 3.2.4. Audio quality is improved still more. I find that the USB ports do not perform well for streaming audio in a Vbox VM. Using the handset still produces very choppy audio. Headset still had a little. Found I could get rid of that last bit of choppiness from the headset by simply disabling the USB audio device in the XP VM Device Manager. This disables the handset but it's unusable anyway. Other problems that remain:

1) Far end still hears their own voice echo back once, the level based on local Pulse Audio output level settings. Somewhere the received audio is leaking back into the mic input inside my local hardware. They can hear other sound events on my machine as well. Not sure how to prevent that without killing one side of the conversation. I can mitigate it quite a bit by lowering my local volume but it's a trade-off.

If anyone has a suggestion how to configure Pulse to prevent this audio leakage, I'm "all ears".

2) Record audio settings inside the VM still have no effect whatsoever.
pangaea
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for this detailed post. I'm using the same configuration you've discussed here. I'll let you know how it's working for me as well. I'm using from South America so call quality may be suspect.

Thanks again.

B
MagicJackLinux
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: 2011 Magic Jack in Linux and Virtual Box Reply with quote

Hello. I saw your old post and the responses. Today is 12/13/2011 and I'm using Magic Jack in Virtual Box on my old XP disc/OS set up inside it. I had a Windows7 Mint 12 dual boot but now only have Linux Ubuntu 11.10. I like tinkering and seeing how things work or don't work. Yes, I use a similar set up to the responses above. Once you download Virtual box in the Linux software center, people need to go to the HOME page to download the Virtual Box EXTENSION Pack where it says "all versions" https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads THIS will help you enable the Magic Jack USB to show up on whatever Operating system of Windows you put into the Virtual Box. You then have to create a USB filter for the XP OS in the control panel. The final step which is now harder to find in Ubuntu 11.10 and Mint 12 is to add your Linux computer name to the Vbox users groups in gedit/etc/ This guy explains it best.. http://www.webupd8.org/2011/02/get-your-usb-drives-to-work-with.html OF course REBOOT after everything is set up. Then when you restart the Virtual Box OS, plug in your MJ USB it will show up and add itself to the OS in Virtual box. You can make and take calls just like normal. You can add any usb device to the list when you plug it in. Why go to all this trouble? just to use MJ? Well, in my case, my Win7 restore discs failed...*Thanks Gateway. Their lousy program to create and burn restore discs only shows a cyclic error and I was screwed. I don't mind using Mint or Ubuntu full time. I can watch Slingbox and make calls in Magic Jack IN the Virtual box just fine. Until Magic JACK or another closely priced Phone LIKE Magic Jack get Linux support, I'll use this.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 Magic Jack in Linux and Virtual Box Reply with quote

MagicJackLinux wrote:
Hello. I saw your old post and the responses. Today is 12/13/2011 and I'm using Magic Jack in Virtual Box on my old XP disc/OS set up inside it. I had a Windows7 Mint 12 dual boot but now only have Linux Ubuntu 11.10. I like tinkering and seeing how things work or don't work. Yes, I use a similar set up to the responses above. Once you download Virtual box in the Linux software center, people need to go to the HOME page to download the Virtual Box EXTENSION Pack where it says "all versions" https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads THIS will help you enable the Magic Jack USB to show up on whatever Operating system of Windows you put into the Virtual Box. You then have to create a USB filter for the XP OS in the control panel. The final step which is now harder to find in Ubuntu 11.10 and Mint 12 is to add your Linux computer name to the Vbox users groups in gedit/etc/ This guy explains it best.. http://www.webupd8.org/2011/02/get-your-usb-drives-to-work-with.html OF course REBOOT after everything is set up. Then when you restart the Virtual Box OS, plug in your MJ USB it will show up and add itself to the OS in Virtual box. You can make and take calls just like normal. You can add any usb device to the list when you plug it in. Why go to all this trouble? just to use MJ? Well, in my case, my Win7 restore discs failed...*Thanks Gateway. Their lousy program to create and burn restore discs only shows a cyclic error and I was screwed. I don't mind using Mint or Ubuntu full time. I can watch Slingbox and make calls in Magic Jack IN the Virtual box just fine. Until Magic JACK or another closely priced Phone LIKE Magic Jack get Linux support, I'll use this.
I know this is an older thread but there is some great info here. While I dont use MJ full time anymore its a nice backup. Getting the correct extension pack is critical to getting this to work properly. I'm currently using Zorin OS which is based off Ubuntu 13.04.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: