magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magicjack not working--tried two different phones already

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjl8
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Magicjack not working--tried two different phones already Reply with quote

Hi-

I just got my MagicJack and it works from the computer "softphone" but I tried two phones with it and neither worked. The computer is an Acer Aspire One with Windows XP. The phones: a standard Radioshack cordless and an AT&T Trimline TR1909. (a simple, battery-operated corded phone) I already contacted MagicJack technical support and got cut off after three hours of unproductive suggestions. Does anybody HERE have any suggestions? I appreciate this. Thanks.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Magicjack not working--tried two different phones alread Reply with quote

jjl8 wrote:
Hi-

I just got my MagicJack and it works from the computer "softphone" but I tried two phones with it and neither worked. The computer is an Acer Aspire One with Windows XP. The phones: a standard Radioshack cordless and an AT&T Trimline TR1909. (a simple, battery-operated corded phone) I already contacted MagicJack technical support and got cut off after three hours of unproductive suggestions. Does anybody HERE have any suggestions? I appreciate this. Thanks.

Have you tried your MJ on another PC? It is POSSIBLE your MJ dongle is bad. Also make sure you are using a rear USB port and NOT using the short extension cable which came with the MJ..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Magicjack not working--tried two different phones alread Reply with quote

jjl8 wrote:
Hi-

Like said before use ONLY a rear USB connection on that Laptiop, You can make calls on the softphone no problem and tried two phones in the RJ11 phone jack and if i understand you. " No dial tone". Try a wired phone if u have one. If that works then other 2 phones junk BUT if the other two phones WORK with another service like a POTS Line ( Home Phone ) then i'd say the RJ11 or it's internal connection inside the MJ is bad. I hope you purchased this local and not thru TV, I assume you have it less then a month and if so return it and get another one. However do NOT register the NEW replacement or else you will lose your phone number. You must contact the worthless MJ support online first, They will transfer your phone number you have now to the new MJ if this applys to u. BTW: If you do get a dial tone using a phone but just can't call out or receive calls it could be a different problem, Also anything Radio Shack makes is junk. IMO i would use another brand of phone besides Radio Shack even though i don't know who makes them for RS.
jjl8
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. As far as another PC, I have a cable Internet connection and it's configured to the Aspire One only, which has USB ports on the side, not the rear. I do not use the cord peripheral but plug the MagicJack in directly. I will see if anyone I know has another phone but I've already been through two....
gashliquor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjl8 wrote:
Thanks for the help. As far as another PC, I have a cable Internet connection and it's configured to the Aspire One only, which has USB ports on the side, not the rear. I do not use the cord peripheral but plug the MagicJack in directly. I will see if anyone I know has another phone but I've already been through two....

You never said if you hear a dial tone or not!
jjl8
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry--no dial tone. I also forgot to mention that I bought the MagicJack online from their site--before I realized it could be bought at retail stores. I do have someone coming by tonight with another phone--we know her phone works.

If it does turn out that the MagicJack internal configuration is bad, would it be a viable option to just send the current one back and buy a new one from a retail store--I'm trying to avoid waiting for and paying for shipping again now that I know it's sold locally. I just got the Jack last week so losing my number is not that big a deal for me as long as I can get a new one.
gashliquor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjl8 wrote:
Sorry--no dial tone. I also forgot to mention that I bought the MagicJack online from their site--before I realized it could be bought at retail stores. I do have someone coming by tonight with another phone--we know her phone works.

If it does turn out that the MagicJack internal configuration is bad, would it be a viable option to just send the current one back and buy a new one from a retail store--I'm trying to avoid waiting for and paying for shipping again now that I know it's sold locally. I just got the Jack last week so losing my number is not that big a deal for me as long as I can get a new one.

How does this sound!, You have a FREE 30 day trial!, Get your money back and BUY a netTalk Duo and be done with 99% of the BS, Click link below. One piece of shit is better then the other.

http://www.nettalk.com/

P.S. And you don't need to have your computer on which means it can be off and still make and receive calls 24/7

More Info: If you want to do this you can also, IMO MJ is just magicjack, Goto your local RADIO SHACK and buy another MJ " Turn the package over and make sure it has a ORANGE STICKER!. Now take your OLD MJ and put it back in the package and bring it back and tell them you don't like it and they will give you your $ back. Orange sticker means newest version. Now if you don't do this YOU MUST SEND YOURS BACK because you purchased it online. If i were you i would get your $ backl and BUY a netTalk Duo and be done with alot of headaches yo don't know about PLUS MJ blocks certain area codes and more. You have the total scoop!, If your a priest or other church follower etc well thats fine and good but im telling you what can and ca NOT be done. If if get a NEW unit local and do the swap and get your $ back then just register the NEW device!...Orange Sticker refers to on the bottom of the unit and can be seen thru the plastic the MJ comes in, Bestbut, Radio Shack and a few others sell them and MUST give you your $ back right then and there as long as it's B4 30 days. When u buy online YOU must deal with them direct which = sucks!!!.
jjl8
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. It turns out that the MagicJack the company sent me was, as predicted, a piece of junk. I sent it back and bought another one locally and, voila, it works. I wish I had known it was sold locally from the get-go so none of this BS would have happened. Again, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: