magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

magicJack Check - Lucky You Update Checker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: magicJack Check - Lucky You Update Checker Reply with quote

A month or so ago, my magicJack started acting wonky. I went to the chat support system and was told to download the 'Lucky You' update. I figured I'd already done that a couple months prior. But the setup file is named the same. How was I to know whether mine was the most recent, let alone whether I'd already downloaded it before? I figured there had to be a better way.

So I created a script that would tell me when the magicJack update file had changed and made it email me when it did. Then I thought - why not make this available to everyone?

So here it is. A website with that as its main purpose, along with an email list that will let you sign up to be notified too.

http://mjcheck.low.li

I'd be grateful for any feedback on the site.

Cheers!
black_icon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/magicJackSetup.exe is the most recent and updated upgrade for MJ in Windows and http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/magicJackSetup.dmg for Mac
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
radzkillah
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

black_icon wrote:
http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/magicJackSetup.exe is the most recent and updated upgrade for MJ in Windows and http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/magicJackSetup.dmg for Mac

Very Happy Agree
greenman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know where the files are.

It's just that we aren't really told how old the latest one is. And windows doens't preserve the file modification date when downloading from a browser.

If every time you chat with tech support they tell you do re-download the same old file, you've just lost 20 minutes of your life doing something you did last time you click on mJ chat support.

Again.

If you know you have already got the latest version installed, you can verify on the site and tell the chat support tech that you've already uploaded the latest version of the updater. Move on to the next part of the support chat script.
black_icon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that you can't preserve the upgrade file and run it by clicking or opening the icon of it. You need to run it real time and if I were you, I'll copy the exact and complete link and run the upgrade through that to make sure a new software is running.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
greenman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

black_icon wrote:
I believe that you can't preserve the upgrade file and run it by clicking or opening the icon of it. You need to run it real time and if I were you, I'll copy the exact and complete link and run the upgrade through that to make sure a new software is running.

This is my method for making sure I have the right firmware:
1. Download it from mJ.
2. Rename the file magicJackSetup.<mod-date>.exe or magicJackSetup.<mod-date>.dmg. For instance, I'd call the .exe file magicJackSetup.2012-02-13.exe and put it in my /downloads/magicJack_file folder.
3. Run the update.

Now, when I have problems or questions and need to contact support and they ask me to run the update, I can check my file and check the site. If the dates match - and if I want to check the md5 sum and they match - I can tell the chat support tech that I don't need to run the update again. I ran the same one previously.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'clicking on the icon' as a substitute for running it. The file is the same whether it's run as a download from their server or from your own home computer. If you know you've run the current version already, why run it again?
radzkillah
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenman wrote:
This is my method for making sure I have the right firmware:
1. Download it from mJ.
2. Rename the file magicJackSetup.<mod-date>.exe or magicJackSetup.<mod-date>.dmg. For instance, I'd call the .exe file magicJackSetup.2012-02-13.exe and put it in my /downloads/magicJack_file folder.
3. Run the update.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'clicking on the icon' as a substitute for running it. The file is the same whether it's run as a download from their server or from your own home computer. If you know you've run the current version already, why run it again?

The upgrade works like a patch executable that downloads files from mJ's servers.If you save them up and put in the file name as indicators then it will be quite useless.

The File Size is always the same though and nothing is new, once you initiate the file then it downloads from mJ's server -- that simple Smile
greenman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radzkillah wrote:
The upgrade works like a patch executable that downloads files from mJ's servers.If you save them up and put in the file name as indicators then it will be quite useless.

The File Size is always the same though and nothing is new, once you initiate the file then it downloads from mJ's server -- that simple Smile

Bummer. I wasted a lot of time. Embarassed

Does that mean this thread is purely anecdotal with regards to the update file since apparently it doesn't matter which version of the updater you use to update your magicJack?

For magicJack plus users, we'll only know - as one possibility - that there may be a new update when and if our devices begin to fail, and even then we can't know what the actual version number is - we only see 'Lucky You' to let us know it's been upgraded.

How very proprietary. Keeping users out of the loop with regards to firmware versions comes across as a poor practice.

Perhaps I can re-purpose the site. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks radzkillah, black_icon. I'm learning a lot. Smile
radzkillah
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenman wrote:

For magicJack plus users, we'll only know - as one possibility - that there may be a new update when and if our devices begin to fail, and even then we can't know what the actual version number is - we only see 'Lucky You' to let us know it's been upgraded.

How very proprietary. Keeping users out of the loop with regards to firmware versions comes across as a poor practice.

Twisted Evil That's how magicCrap designed there crap Smile

:GREAT SITE ! btw ! Smile
we should try and drink some beer mate, you did okay.
black_icon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenman wrote:

Regular MJ and MJ Plus haver the same upgrade link and software and I'm not sure if the company will be doing a new one for the new device Wink
greenman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

black_icon wrote:
Regular MJ and MJ Plus haver the same upgrade link and software and I'm not sure if the company will be doing a new one for the new device Wink

I'm pretty sure they won't. First rule of a proprietary system is to keep everyone in the dark. Second rule is to spend as little as possible.

Still, it begs the question of why some people still think something is different if you use different versions of the updater file. black_icon, both you and radzkillah participated in this conversation. So now I'm a bit confused. Why should it matter in their situation which version of the setup file is used if its only used as a conduit to download the actual firmware in situ?

greenman wrote:
Does that mean this thread is purely anecdotal with regards to the update file since apparently it doesn't matter which version of the updater you use to update your magicJack?
radzkillah
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenman wrote:
its only used as a conduit to download the actual firmware

Laughing You got it dawg!
greenman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radzkillah wrote:

Laughing You got it dawg!
See my reply on the other thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: