magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack Black Friday sale at RadioShack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnimsh
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: MagicJack Black Friday sale at RadioShack Reply with quote

The Magicjack will be on sale for $29.99 on Friday, Nov 28th at Radioshack.

See here for more: http://www.blackfriday.info/sales/radioshack-black-friday-ad.html

Last edited by gnimsh on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: MagicJack Black Friday sale at RadioShack Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
The Magicjack will be on sale for $29.99 on Friday, Nov 25th at Radioshack.

See here for more: http://www.blackfriday.info/sales/radioshack-black-friday-ad.html

The 25th is Wednesday. Maybe you mean the 28th?

Mark
gnimsh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. You're absolutely right. Black Friday is the 28th, but the Friday after thanksgiving, which *edit* in my mind is usually on nov 25th.*edit* Oops. Thanks Mark

Last edited by gnimsh on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SpamBox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try again. Thanksgiving is on the 27th this year. Are you looking at Christmas, which always the 25th of Dec, which this year is a Thursday?
Black Friday is always the day after Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday, though the date changes from year to year. It think it's always the last Thursday in November but not positive on that.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There I fixed the dates.
maine-iac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It think it's always the last Thursday in November but not positive on that.

Fourth Thursday.
SpamBox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
There I fixed the dates.

Didn't mean to jump on your case or anything, just wanted people to know the correct days. Very Happy
mphixson
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's on sale now..
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3382475
thanksgiving day..
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: $29.99 Now (Thursday) Reply with quote

This was pointed out on the DSLR forum. MJ can be purchased online right now (Thursday) for $29.99.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3382475

Free shipping for orders over $25.

Mark
Thunder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also now on my softphone ad for $29.99
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder wrote:

Radio Shack's free shipping may make it a better deal. (It's hard to imagine MJ would do free shipping.).

I'm seeing an ad on my softphone ad for 5 years for $59.95. That's a good deal. It's usually 4 years for that price (through your my.magicjack.com page).

I already bought 5 years of service when I bought MJ. I wouldn't mind buying another 10 years worth. It's a good deal. Not a lot of money to lose if MJ doesn't survive. But, I've heard of people having trouble when their USB device dies, they buy a new one and can't transfer the years of service they bought. If that worked seamlessly, I'd pick up another 10 years.

Mark
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder wrote:

Thunder,

Is that picture real? That is the first ever commercial I have seen on the softphone.

You now have me sitting here staring at my softphone waiting for the add to come up.

PS - Everyone was concerned about the adds being intrusive, actually I find your screen capture to be a pleasant break from the monotony of "Set up your Voicemail - It's this easy"...
Thunder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its real. I also get another one with a five year plan ad for 59.95
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder wrote:
Yes its real. I also get another one with a five year plan ad for 59.95

Yup !!!

I haven't seen the Radio Shack yet but I just saw the five years for $59 dollars.

Be the mathematical wiz that I am that figures out to a dollar a month for free local and long distance calls.

I will bet that AT&T and maybe others are at this very moment searching for a hit-man to take care of Mr. Dan and his unfair business practices. Rolling Eyes You know if he really keeps this MagicJack ball rolling what I just said in jest may not be to far from the truth, at least in a business sense if not a true Mafia approach. We have to be talking a Gazillion dollars in lost revenue for some land line carriers.
couch-potato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not get five more years with the five-year plan!!!

They change your current, 1-year contract, to a new 5-year contract.

That extends your current contract by four years.

So you get four years for $60, not five years.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couch-potato wrote:

Keep in mind that's just one person's report in the "reviews" forum. Until I see a few more people reporting the same thing, I'd be skeptical. Apologies to that person, but it's entirely plausible for competitors to spread FUD concerning MJ. Especially when MJ *lowers* their prices.

Be skeptical of anything you read on the internet.

If I hadn't already bought 4 years with my original 1-year purchase, I'd do the "Black Friday" 5-year thing just to see if my experience coincides with that one person's.

Mark
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couch-potato wrote:
You do not get five more years with the five-year plan!!!

They change your current, 1-year contract, to a new 5-year contract.

That extends your current contract by four years.

Couch-Spud,

I am not debating you, I wouldn't put anything past MJ's advertisement practices but it sure would be difficult to know that from this advertisement that you where about to assume the position.

HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

az2008 wrote:
couch-potato wrote:

Keep in mind that's just one person's report in the "reviews" forum. Until I see a few more people reporting the same thing, I'd be skeptical. Apologies to that person, but it's entirely plausible for competitors to spread FUD concerning MJ. Especially when MJ *lowers* their prices.

Be skeptical of anything you read on the internet.

If I hadn't already bought 4 years with my original 1-year purchase, I'd do the "Black Friday" 5-year thing just to see if my experience coincides with that one person's.

Mark

Mark,

I almost did what you suggested, but being a Toy Sale weekend I have already gone thru my toy money for the weekend. Rolling Eyes Damn Motorola and their shinny new Cell Phones is going to put me in the poor-house.
couch-potato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to jump all over me guys, I'm just trying to help.

az2008 wrote:
Keep in mind that's just one person's report in the "reviews" forum. Until I see a few more people reporting the same thing, I'd be skeptical. Be skeptical of anything you read on the internet.

I didn't base that on only on person's comments in the forum, I checked it out for myself.

HolmanGT wrote:
it sure would be difficult to know that from this advertisement that you where about to assume the position.

I didn't assume anything, I clicked on the ad and checked it out. If I knew how, I would show you screen shots.

By the way, today is November 30th, and I am still seeing that ad - sale price valid until November 29.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couch-potato wrote:
I didn't base that on only on person's comments in the forum, I checked it out for myself.

I'm having trouble following this thread. I thought you were talking about this guy who said he tried to buy the "Black Friday" special 5-year upgrade via the ad displayed in the softphone: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/deceptive-license-upgrade-t3760.html

When I said I wouldn't base my decision (to buy or not) on one person's report, I was referring to that. I haven't seen anyone else reporting what this person did. If it works that way for all purchases, I'd think we would have heard a few more reports. I'm always a little skeptical of negative reports about MJ because incumbent providers have an incentive to spread FUD. (I think there are too many reports of negative aspects of MJ to dismiss them as FUD. But, I'm still skeptical at times until I see more reports. Just because MJ has real shortcomings doesn't mean incumbents don't have motive to use that to their advantage.).

When you say you didn't base your comments on just this one person's report, I think you're referring to reports that existing MJ users have had trouble rolling over their existing time to a new MJ device (when their original device died). I agree with you that those reports are more than one. They're also varied. Some people have said they could transfer unused time. Others said no. (It sounded like it might be dependent upon contacting dead chat before registering the new device. And/or, which dead chat person they speak too. If I were in that position, I'd contact dead chat before registering, and continue contacting until I talked to enough of them to feel I got the right answer.).

I just want to keep it straight that there's only one report of someone only getting 4 years when they bought 5 via the "Black Friday" special. I wish if anyone bought the 5-year extension they'd post whether they experienced the same thing as the guy mentioned in the above link.

Mark
couch-potato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct, I am talking about that one guy who bought the ad on the softphone. After I read that guys comments about the Black Friday special, I clicked on the ad and checked it out for myself.

I don't think we have heard a lot of other complaints from other people - because most of them read all the details before they paid for it. Or, they figured "oh well, 4 years for $60 is still a pretty good deal". Or, they never looked at their new expiry date and haven't realized yet that they got only four additional years.

You don't have to base your decision on that guys comments, or mine. I'm just giving a heads up, that if you decide to order it, to look for the fine print that indicates you are extending your license to five years not extending it by five years.

When I said that I was not basing my comments on just this one guys report, I was not refering to other peoples reports about rollovers. I was referring to what I saw when I clicked the ad, and when I logged in to extend my license:

Wish I knew how to insert an image, but when you click tha ad, the MagicJack website says:
"Extend your MagicJacks to 5 years"

When you log in, and extend your license, it says:
"Extend by 4 years - $59.95"
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couch-potato wrote:
You don't have to base your decision on that guys comments, or mine. I'm just giving a heads up, that if you decide to order it, to look for the fine print that indicates you are extending your license to five years not extending it by five years.

That's the part I was missing (or overlooked in previous posts).

You're right. If you click the ad, sign-in, and click "order" it says "extend *to* five years." The advertisement clearly says you'll "get your *next* 5 years" for $59.95. But, that's a lie. It should say "up to 5 years."

Someone like me, who bought an additional 4 years at the time of my initial purchase would only get 6 months for $59.95 if I followed through on this deal.

This is a perfect example of why MJ has such a bad reputation. When they have the opportunity to be clear, and help the customer do the right thing, they don't. Their marketing goes beyond what is reasonable. Sometimes the "Hurry, last day" (every day for the past 6 months) looks bad. But, this 5-year thing really crosses the line IMO. The way it's presented is guaranteed to help the customer do the *wrong* thing.

Mark
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couch-potato wrote:
Or, they never looked at their new expiry date and haven't realized yet that they got only four additional years.

BTW: I think that's the more likely answer. Everything except that one, last screen, gives the buyer the impression it's 5 years for $59.95. The advertisement clearly says that. When you click the ad, and sign-in, they show the normal price of 5 years of service ($19.99 x 5 = $99.95), and it says "Save $40.00 each!"

That's an extremely deceptively worded ad when, you click on "order" it says "up to 5 years" and there's no "each" available because it says limit 1 per customer. Which makes sense when all you're doing is extending your license "up to' 5 years. It would be useless to buy two. Which only casts a very troubling question why MJ would word the previous page the way they did (save $40.0 each!).

It's obvious that everything they did was to lead the customer to the conclusion they're buying 5-year units, not topping off.

My opinion of MJ as a company just went down tremendously. Anyone who would write an advertisement like that has a deeply flawed character.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: