magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magicjack and thin clients - what's the purpose?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evilmonkey1987
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Magicjack and thin clients - what's the purpose? Reply with quote

I spent the last little while reading the threads about thin clients, but I don't the what the point is. I understand that they're quieter and cooler, but is that it? Do you just connect MJ to a TC like you'd connect it to a regular computer, connect a phone to the MJ, and use it? Or does it offer other benefits such being able to wire multiple phones to one MJ? Thanks.
ilovejedd
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Magicjack and thin clients - what's the purpose? Reply with quote

evilmonkey1987 wrote:
I spent the last little while reading the threads about thin clients, but I don't the what the point is. I understand that they're quieter and cooler, but is that it? Do you just connect MJ to a TC like you'd connect it to a regular computer, connect a phone to the MJ, and use it? Or does it offer other benefits such being able to wire multiple phones to one MJ? Thanks.

No additional benefits, MagicJack-wise. Basically, if you don't want to leave your main PC on 24/7, you can use a thin client as a small form factor, low power consumption alternative.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Other benefits of using a Thin Client Reply with quote

Using a separate computer to host MJ has several advantages. Most of the problems folks encounter in using MJ have to do with setting their network and computer process priorities properly.

Using a computer with a clean operating system (i.e. few if any other applications running) make it very easy to adjust the priorities.

Since MJ does not have to compete with other applications for computer resources and there are no other application which could interfere with MJ, the dedicated computer usually runs very nicely without having to take measures on the computer to adjust process priority. In fact since XPe is a stripped down version of XP there are even fewer OS processes competing for resources.

Additionally setting network priority is as easy as setting your router to grant high priority to any network traffic to and from the dedicated computer thus simplifying the network setup.

The reasons for using a Thin Client as opposed to any other type of dedicated computer are as you already saw mostly those of power and noise.
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a thin client with MJ is about as close as you can get to using an ATA.
PTravel
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to have your magicjack running 24/7, a thin client uses relatively little power.
evilmonkey1987
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Got it. Thanks for the responses. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: