magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJack Allows You To Port Out Number To A New Provider
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffnyc
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just dont pay it.... i dont think they can hold up the port
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:
just dont pay it.... i dont think they can hold up the port

DITTO

CrackerJack

MagicJack Customer #73
MagicJack user since May 2007
MagicJack abuser since June 2007
"I gots mo' numbers than a Lotto machine!!!"
rizzo011
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Clarification on the number porting fees Reply with quote

It appears the FCC allows for VoIP service providers to charge customers a "reasonable" fee for porting their numbers, however there is no mention regarding the legality of charging "recurring" monthly/annual fees to keep the number.

The way I read it, they can charge you once for the port, and that's it.

However, MagicJack appears to be charging customers a $9.95 "yearly" fee in order to keep the number, making the service $19.95+$9.95=$29.90 (+taxes, etc) for this "cheap" phone service. People need to keep this in mind when planning on porting their number.

I asked these questions and more with a MJ rep. Here is the text of the chat:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

All operators are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. An operator will be with you shortly.

All operators are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. An operator will be with you shortly.

You are now chatting with 'Hayden'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554017345969X

Hayden: Hello, how may I help you?

rob: I am not yet a MagicJack subscriber, however I had a question regarding number portability. Can I just purchase/active a MagicJack Plus with a standard randomly assigned phone number then port my existing home phone number later? If so, how long does this process take?

Hayden: Yes, you can do transfer your number later and test the device with a number that we provide to be able to avoid the transfer charges. Transferring a number may take up to 10 business days to complete.

rob: How much to you charge to port my existing number?

Hayden: Anybody can port their current phone number to the magicJack Plus for a fee of $19.95.

rob: Are you aware the FCC makes it illegal to charge a fee for porting phone numbers?

Hayden: No, but that was a legal action for magicJack. Since that is approved.

rob: Can you provide me with a link to the document(s) you are referring to? I don't see that in the Terms of Service anywhere?

Hayden: Sure.

Hayden: CLick here for our Terms of Service.

rob: right, I've read that already. Can you be more specific as to where in the document it refers to the porting fee(s)?

Hayden: I will be right with you.

rob: The only section about porting in the TOS document is this: (which has no mention of fees associated with porting numbers)

rob: if you transfer or port out your phone number your service is terminated and you relinquish all claims for a refund of your initial licensing period as well as any renewal licensing purchased. We may, without any liability, refuse, change or terminate any phone number at anytime. If we change the phone number that has been allocated to you, we will notify you, stating the effective date of the change and your new phone number. If you do not wish to accept this new phone number, you are entitled to cancel this Agreement; however, you will not be eligible for any refund unless you terminate the Agreement within 30 days of purchase of the magicJack and/or magicJack Plus device and qualify for a refund as further described in Section 2 of this Agreement. We will not be liable for any damages resulting from the change of the phone number.

Hayden: One moment please...

rob: Some folks have been charged $30 for porting, you have quoted me $19.95...can you explain the discrepancies?

Hayden: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.

Hayden: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.

Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

You are now chatting with 'Destiny'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554017345969X

Destiny: Hi, This is Destiny.

Destiny: Would you mind giving me a moment to review your past chat?

rob: sure.

Destiny: Thanks

Destiny: are you trying to port your existing phone number on your magicjack ?

rob: I don't yet have a MagicJack.

rob: I would like to purchase one with an assigned random number for testing. If it meets my approval, I would like to transfer (port) my existing home phone number.

rob: How long do I have after the initial purchase to port my number?

Destiny: all you have to do is to have a magicjack device and registered it to a temporary number once it is already registered you can log in on your magicjack account to submit a request to transfer you phone number to magicjack, your existing phone number must be active to enable to transfer it

Destiny: Porting process will cost you $19.95 and annual fee for $9.95 , once the transferring is still on process you will not disconnect phone number wait for the email that stated to do so..

Destiny: Transferring a number may take up to 10 business days to complete.

Destiny: During the transfer period, your current phone line will continue to operate normally.

Destiny: You may use your magicJack with the temporary telephone number we assigned during registration.

rob: Also, in reading the FCC issued guidelines for number portability, it seems the provider (you) can charge a "reasonable" fee but this should be clearly spelled out in your Terms of Service (TOS)...which it is not.

rob: Some customers have been charged as much as $30, however I'm being quoted $19.95, and an "annual" fee of $9.95 to continue to keep the number? Is this correct?

Destiny: the $ 30 fee is for magicjack customer who want to port there magicjack phone number on a different carrier

rob: Ok. What about the $9.95 fee. Is this a fee I would have to pay on top of the $19.95 annual service fee every year in order to keep my existing home phone number?

Destiny: the $ 9.95 is a yearly fee

rob: Ok. And you cannot waive these fees?

Destiny: this is our yearly fee Rob

Destiny: we cant waive it since we already implemented this policy

rob: Ok. Thank you for your time. I hope you won't mind, but I will be posting this chat in a web forum for others to read. There appears to be some miscommunication in the way your TOS is written and the fee(s) that are assessed regarding number portability. It is unclear whether or not the FCC allows for companies such as yours to implement a "yearly" fee to maintain number portability, so I will follow up with them. Thank you again for your time.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It appears the FCC allows for VoIP service providers to charge customers a "reasonable" fee for porting their numbers

For porting IN, not for releasing them.
jerbob
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $19.95 yearly charge for the MagicJack plus is history unless you sign up for 5 years, then it is $19.95, other wise after the first year it is $29.95 per year. This is independent of your phone number. I just put in to port over my original phone number and they charged me $20.95 and I believe that this is a one time charge. I don't see anywhere that you pay a reoccurring charge for the original number. This is how I see it, I hope I am not wrong. If I like the service, I will probably sign up for the 5 year plan and save some money.
I just want to keep a land line in the house and I don't like paying around $45 per month to the Telco for a phone.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't see anywhere that you pay a reoccurring charge for the original number. This is how I see it, I hope I am not wrong

You are wrong, as you will find out to your disadvantage.
I perfectly understand that you do not want to pay excessive monthly costs for land line service, however, there are other alternatives than MJ. You may want to9 check them out and use your freedom of choice .
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:

You are wrong, as you will find out to your disadvantage.

I'm glad you're 100% convinced of this. I'm not.

First, no one has been charged, yet.

Second, we have been down this road before on this subject. First it was going to be charged, then it wasn't, now it is again. Or is it?

I was just on chat to try to rattle their cage on my GV issue, and asked about the porting charges. Granted, it took a while, but after specifically asking, I was told as of now there is no annual charge after the initial fee. Granted I would probably get a totally different answer if I went back now and asked again. And as usual, this is a horrible way to run a business, but I don't think the annual porting fee is set in stone, yet. Smile

Edit: I guess to put it a different way, the only place this annual porting charge is being mentioned is in their customer service chats, and that apparently depends on what day you ask. Certainly not a reliable source for the correct time of day let alone MJ policy. That does leave one to guess what will happen which is ridiculous. The FAQ has a 10-24-11 update date, and it still only mentions a "nominal fee" being charged.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not 100% convinced ( is there anything 100% with MJ ?) but I cannot imagine repeatedly announcing a fee ( through their CS) without a clear intent to collect it later.
Nobody will know with 100% certainity, the problem is, once the year is over you can be slammed with those fees and without paying up you will lose your subscription and your initial porting fee AND your number. Does the OP really want to be a hostage ?
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
Does the OP really want to be a hostage ?

That is obviously an individual decision.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting to see what NetTalks pricing structure on porting is going to be before they finalize a decision. At one point they were certain in that forum that it was happening in November. But that ship has officially sailed, again.

It's also possible that the knuckleheads in chat support are mixing up porting with "vanity or special numbers". Their FAQ's do say an annual fee "may" apply on that, but to my knowledge their website has never mentioned a recurring fee on porting.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting to see what NetTalks pricing structure on porting is going to be before they finalize a decision.

I cannot imagine that Nettalk would even think of introducing a yearly fee on ported numbers. That's a brand specific MJ nonsense.
Yes, Nettalk has still problems with porting ( wonder why) but they offer free porting for MJ customers to Nettalk under their beta testing program.
It is entirely possible that MJ's customer " service" is confused, but this constant confusion about everything is one of the things which wore down my patience. Confused
jerbob
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found that my phone number has been ported to MagicJack after 5 days from my request. OK, so I went in and set my messages etc. and everything is working well. The audio is crystal clear and the volume is good.

I called my Telco to cancel the phone service and found that it was already canceled. I think Magic is doing well in some services and I don't know what everyone's beef is about .
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerbob wrote:
I think Magic is doing well in some services and I don't know what everyone's beef is about .

I have been with MJ since 2008 and Vocaltec Internet USB phone starting in 1998.

I don't have any problems with this companies ability to save me real money. also the service has improved a bit over the past two years. Smile
MajickPete
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerbob wrote:
I just put in to port over my original phone number and they charged me $20.95 and I believe that this is a one time charge. I don't see anywhere that you pay a reoccurring charge for the original number. This is how I see it, I hope I am not wrong.

nailgunner wrote:
[...]

First, no one has been charged, yet.

Second, we have been down this road before on this subject. First it was going to be charged, then it wasn't, now it is again. Or is it?

I was just on chat to try to rattle their cage on my GV issue, and asked about the porting charges. Granted, it took a while, but after specifically asking, I was told as of now there is no annual charge after the initial fee. Granted I would probably get a totally different answer if I went back now and asked again. And as usual, this is a horrible way to run a business, but I don't think the annual porting fee is set in stone, yet. Smile

Edit: I guess to put it a different way, the only place this annual porting charge is being mentioned is in their customer service chats, and that apparently depends on what day you ask. Certainly not a reliable source for the correct time of day let alone MJ policy. That does leave one to guess what will happen which is ridiculous. The FAQ has a 10-24-11 update date, and it still only mentions a "nominal fee" being charged.

Hello folks! This is my first post here...

Just a few minutes ago I submitted a transfer-in request for our regular landline number as part of the registration process for our new magicJack PLUS . Our plan with MJ is to just dump the landline altogether, and after a quick test of the PLUS computer-free functionality and call quality, the wife and I agreed that there didn't seem to be any reason to delay the inevitable. "Just do it." Cool

The registration screens clearly stated that there would be a one time transfer fee of $19.95 plus $9.95 per year. My understanding was that we would get dinged ~$30 right off the bat for this privilege - but this is still cheaper for us than one month of U-verse Voice.

However, my Order Confirmation email only shows a charge for $19.99 with no mention of a $9.95 charge either now or a year from now:

Code:
Qty  Product Code          Description                           Price Each  Subtotal  Charge Date
  1  TRANSFERINNUMBER1999  U.S. Phone Number - Transfer In Fee        19.99     19.99   01/15/2012
  1  TRANSFERINNUMBER      U.S. Phone Number - Transfer In             0.00      0.00   01/15/2012
  1  MJPLUSSTDDIALPLAN     magicJack PLUS Standard Dialing Plan        0.00      0.00   01/15/2012
  1  REGULATORYFEES4.8     Regulatory and Compliance Expense           0.96      0.96   01/15/2012

On the other hand, that second line in my Order Confirmation seems to be some sort of placeholder entry. Maybe a year from now I'll get another "Confirmation" with a $9.95 charge in that line?

It makes no sense to me that a ported-in number would retain any sort of special significance after the transfer is complete -- but a "per year" fee would require such significance. And I don't think that AT&T would be allowed to get away with such nonsense -- wouldn't CLEC rules disallow this?

I guess we'll see what happens in a year from now... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by MajickPete on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajickPete wrote:
The registration screens clearly stated that there would be a one time transfer fee of $19.95 plus $9.95 per year.

However, my Order Confirmation email only shows a charge for $19.99 with no mention of a $9.95 charge either now or a year from now:

What a surprise that they can't even get the pricing correct within their own system (and that there is still no mention of this annual fee anywhere on their websites until you actually order the port). One would think that they could at least decide on whether the initial cost is $19.95 or $19.99. Shocked

In the end if you are happy with the service, the additional $9.95 a year will mean little. But from a business standpoint it just seems stupid. I don't understand the "number porting" business, but there can't be additional costs to them beyond the initial porting process is there? At some point people will either just get a new number or go with a competitor that doesn't play games. It's unfortunate that NetTalk still doesn't have their porting act together to put a little competitive pressure on them.
MajickPete
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
What a surprise that they can't even get the pricing correct within their own system (and that there is still no mention of this annual fee anywhere on their websites until you actually order the port). One would think that they could at least decide on whether the initial cost is $19.95 or $19.99. Shocked

Yup, I think that was your point all along.

I've only been an MJ customer for a few days and it's obvious that "Live Support" is the last place I'd go to get my questions answered. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I'll never need to contact one of those people.

And their FAQ section is a nightmare of cul-de-sacs. How about a regular tree-based menu system so you don't go looping through the same damn topics multiple times trying to put together all the answers? This is exactly the wrong format for a company that obviously doesn't want to spend a dime on quality customer support. I'm thinking that the reason the service reps seem so clueless is that they probably only have the FAQs to read as scripts...

If the actual MJ VoIP service didn't work as well as it seems to then their crappy support and documentation would have doomed this company a long time ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: