magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJack 911 Calling Changes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack News
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you be paying magicJack for 911 service?
Yes.
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
No.
83%
 83%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 36

magicjack85
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: MagicJack 911 Calling Changes Reply with quote

I just got this email from Dan Borislow:

Quote:

Dear customer:

This is not a bill, but a choice for you as described below. If you decide you will not pay, you do not have to take any action.

Due to recent changes, magicJack will start to charge for 911 services for 911 capability. If you decide to continue to receive certain limited 911 calling privileges as described in our TOS, you will need to go to my.magicjack.com and fill out the necessary forms and give new debit/credit card information.

magicJack will not profit by collecting these pass through charges for the 911 authorities.

The charges will be billed annually by email and may cost anywhere from $6.00 to over $60.00 a year. On average throughout the country it will cost about $12.00 a year.

magicJack will provide limited exceptions for hardship cases for people who made a 911 call before July 1, 2013 and will post notification or email these certain customers later concerning the eligibility.

These unfortunate changes were made necessary because certain emergency 911 Districts in certain jurisdictions requested we attempt to bill on their behalf and benefit.

Dan

If I need 911 I'll use a landline or deactivated cell phone. Deactivated cell phones dial 911 for free.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

raleightom
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: From Dan Aug. 21, 2013: Magicjack to charge for 911 service Reply with quote

I thought the email was a phishing mechanism. Hoped it was Wink Sad it wasn't Confused

Is 911 free on all cell phones ?

I have never owned one and know nothing about them. What would be a good one for this purpose and where do the retired cell phones live ? Do people recycle them somewhere ?

Do cell phones use universal chargers ? I would like to have one for my car and for when my PC is down (which is often) ?

Friendly ideas welcome Wink

Hope this letter isn't the first of a trend for miscellaneous charges. Google Phone/Video looking better all the time. Use that when on Linux along with Magicjack dongle in order to use my phone with it. My Windows is temporarily broke.
sctirvn687
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean that you can't actually dial 911 or does it just not tell 911 your location?
Pilot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: MagicJack 911 Calling Changes Reply with quote

magicjack85 wrote:
I just got this email from Dan Borislow:

Quote:

Dear customer:

This is not a bill, but a choice for you as described below. If you decide you will not pay, you do not have to take any action.

Due to recent changes, magicJack will start to charge for 911 services for 911 capability. If you decide to continue to receive certain limited 911 calling privileges as described in our TOS, you will need to go to my.magicjack.com and fill out the necessary forms and give new debit/credit card information.

magicJack will not profit by collecting these pass through charges for the 911 authorities.

The charges will be billed annually by email and may cost anywhere from $6.00 to over $60.00 a year. On average throughout the country it will cost about $12.00 a year.

magicJack will provide limited exceptions for hardship cases for people who made a 911 call before July 1, 2013 and will post notification or email these certain customers later concerning the eligibility.

These unfortunate changes were made necessary because certain emergency 911 Districts in certain jurisdictions requested we attempt to bill on their behalf and benefit.

Dan

If I need 911 I'll use a landline or deactivated cell phone. Deactivated cell phones dial 911 for free.

I have not received this email (yet) ... am I the only one, or are there others out there still "missing out" ?
RobQ
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received mine today. Sad
lynxys
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should give me 911 estimate before they want my credit card. I cannot give my credit card before I know how much to pay. (911 service fee is 1.59 in my area. OMG!!!! more than an average!!!) If they charge 911 then OOMA is more attractive to me than partially disabled magic jack line.

I can buy one in Costco (160) and have unlimited time to return it if I don't like one or less expensive at Amazon (120). OOMA will be 44.52/year taxes +120-150 dollars for the box in my area. MJ will be 29.99+18.96=48.95(I have the box already).

On the one hand OOMA has better quality and long term value than MJ, on the other hand I save 4.43 per year and I need 120/4.43=27.09 years to make OOMA less expensive.

Here we have one more if, MJ doesn't have my CC on file now. If I give them CC for 911 don't they use it for renewal of my service. For some reason I don't trust people like Dan. I hope I'm wrong with my reasons.

Decision I don't pay them now and wait to see what happened next,
Henderson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It irks me to no end that there's a $10 yearly charge for your own ported phone number that they do absolutely nothing to maintain... zero maintenance on their end, absolutely no fees or labor incurred by them. Charging for 911 now just adds more insult to this money-grabbing scheme.

I realize that paying $39.95 still saves me quite a bit of money, but it's the principle behind it. And to ask me to sign up to pay something without telling me the specific amount of money I'll be charged is absolutely ridiculous for any business. There's just no way I'd be willing to sign up anywhere without a firm price, especially with this company.

I'm going to look into switching to Ooma if it's that reasonably priced. I don't mind the initial cost to deal with a reputable company. That you can't use speed dial on your phones already cripples MagicJack to me and now not being able to dial 911 is the end.

Of course I'll first have to pay MagicJack to release my current phone number... there is no other company that charges to give up your number. I really hate this company and if finances weren't that tight for me, I'd have gotten rid of MagicJack when they started adding on the vanity number yearly charge.

Edit: I checked into Ooma and even though calls are free, they charge monthly taxes and fees which come to $6.75/month for me. So that leaves them out.

I've been tempted to change my number to Google Voice which is still currently free, but there's no telling what the cost will be once they do start charging.
Bill Smith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point Of Information - Google Voice does not allow calls to 911 unless you pay $12/year to an outside vendor.
Henderson
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$12 is still cheaper than an undisclosed amount from MagicJack. And in my instance, I'd simply have the Google number directed to my cell phone number, so I'd still have 911 available on my cell phone.

I've discovered that many cities have a regular 10-digit phone number that you call that goes to the same dispatch center as dialing 911. You probably have to call your local police department to get the number though.
IamBored

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Other people are ticked off too Reply with quote

magicJack Under attack for 911 fees (alinina.com)

Got An email stating Magic Jack Phone service will be charging (pissedoffconsumer.com)

Calling 911 No Longer Free with MagicJack and other wireless companies (racticalwaystosavemoney.com)

Magic Jack 911 email today (broadbandreports.com)
threepwood
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: 911 charges` Reply with quote

Seems like they will charge me today but 'pay' service won't start until 10/1. So I guess I still have free 911 until then?
SouthFlorida
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand Magic Jack is not charging, they are just making you pay the local tax that the 911 services charge.

It's optional and is not needed.

Instead just call your non emergency number and ask if they can give you a number for dispatch and they can do what 911 does or route you to them. Then just add the new number to your contacts as "911"

you can always dial non emergency number for police, and tell them you have and emergency.
SouthFlorida
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henderson wrote:
It irks me to no end that there's a $10 yearly charge for your own ported phone number that they do absolutely nothing to maintain... zero maintenance on their end, absolutely no fees or labor incurred by them. Charging for 911 now just adds more insult to this money-grabbing scheme.

That $10 yearly charge really is theft for porting a number one time.

As far as the 911 charge, they say they are passing them on and not profiting from them. The problem is that you don't know what the charge is. They link you to an amount, but you don't know if it's monthly or yearly or for the remainder of your yearly service.
SouthFlorida
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 911 charges` Reply with quote

threepwood wrote:
Seems like they will charge me today but 'pay' service won't start until 10/1. So I guess I still have free 911 until then?

Unless you decline the offer to pay. I was moving and was gonna put my new address in and got a confusing link to pay, declined it and my 911 bar/button is gone.
SouthFlorida
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 911 system is to blame. They just created another tax to call police, fire or EMTs. Police and Fire are already paid by municipal taxes, Why do we have to pay extra to call them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: