magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Jack Tech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpamBox
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel a beatdown coming.... LOL Laughing
SpamBox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO YOU SMELL WHAT THE BOX IS COOKING?!?!?!

Laughing
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpamBox, Kumar,

No I know how to get responses to my posts, just say something that is offensive even if the offense was because I have a very bad habit of letting my remarks take on a personal tone.

Rather than "What is stupid is anyone that puts their whole house on MAJ." I should have said "What is stupid is putting your whole hose on MJ" leaving out the personal term "anyone". I meant to say that the idea is stupid not the person. I personal have done a lot of stupid things in my life which does not necessarily indicate that I am stupid but I am very good at leaping before I look.

SpamBox - Welcome to the twenty first century. I find it very hard to believe that people still used WIRED phone - Primitive! I won't mention my Mother in that primitive group but after I set her house up with cordless she made me put a wired phone in the kitchen (Ugh!). I guess there old dogs that like to get all knotted up in cords and while on the phone almost be able to get to the refrigerator for a cold one, or step outside for a smoke (but can't quite get there before running out of cord).

Now for the STUPID issue - wire your whole house with MJ is good, unless you have cut your wired service. Not to put this back in an offensive position for anyone but I will argue till the cows come home that MJ while very good, I don't believe it is something that I would want to dump my wired line for just yet. And that that was my knee-jerk response to the post by ZeroGG. I made the assumption that he had terminated his Copper system and replaced it with MJ and that may not be the case. If the mistake was on my end - oh hell - even if it wasn't I should not have used such harsh and personal terms and for that piece of my comment I sincerely apologize to all.

I also have MJ throughout the house with cordless phones, but my Qwest system is still in place for those all to often time that MJ decides it doesn't want to play nice.

Humbled and embarrassed.
HolmanGT

There is a PS - to this long winded response. Gentlemen if you think the $200 dollar fee this huckster is charging is way to high and is the part of the post that really caught my eye, you have not had a service man out to the house lately. True story: My mother rates my IQ at or near zero, so when her refrigerator started acting up the other day she called the Sear service guy because there is no way her moron son (with a degree in Electrical Engineer) would be able to help her. The guy showed up reset the thermostat that she had bumped out of position. Fix, no charge. House call (week day) $175 dollars. So while I personally think the $200 dollar MJ guy is a blatant huckster he is not that far off in his pricing. Now how he sleeps at night... probably uses the same pills the Sear repair guy uses.

Last edited by HolmanGT on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeroGG,

"Cut the line" - ZeroGG, if your house is less than 20 years old there is noting to cut. Just go out to the Telco box open it and unplug the RJ-11 connector, close the door and collect your $200 dollars. Ouch!
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to be sorry...I was joking....but maybe the dude uses the same pills that Heath Ledger used....except that made him sleep permentlay...
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpamBox,

With an Avatar like yours staring you in the face who in their right mind would say something intentionally offensive. I don't care what the American Indians say "It is never a good day to die".
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kumar,

I did catch the Very Happy on your post but I was not sure about SpamBox. Confused

Actually people that make a living ripping people off and take a pill that puts them to sleep permanently ... well I don't have a problem with that. Rolling Eyes

@ all there are just a lot of people out there that have very little Electronics or Electrical skills Which just opens the door for people like the two hundred dollar huckster. You know (and I am not accusing the Geek Squad of any wrong doing) but that is precisely what keeps them in business. And IMHO I think there would be a lot of none functional computer around if it wasn't for the Geek Squad.

This world has become so Hi-Tech that most people that don't hobby or work int the Electronic/Computer field are just up a creek if not for people like the Geek Squad or Honest MJ installers, including my mother God bless her.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
SpamBox, Kumar,

SpamBox - Welcome to the twenty first century. I find it very hard to believe that people still used WIRED phone - Primitive! I won't mention my Mother in that primitive group but after I set her house up with cordless she made me put a wired phone in the kitchen (Ugh!). I guess there old dogs that like to get all knotted up in cords and while on the phone almost be able to get to the refrigerator for a cold one, or step outside for a smoke (but can't quite get there before running out of cord).

WIRED is more secure than WIRELESS, those that care about that will use WIRED for that reason. Doesn't matter what Security/Encryption. Doesn't matter what century. How secure MJ's network is could still be an issue, however.

HolmanGT wrote:
... I will argue till the cows come home that MJ while very good, I don't believe it is something that I would want to dump my wired line for just yet. ...

Strong agreement here.

HolmanGT wrote:
I also have MJ throughout the house with cordless phones, but my Qwest system is still in place for those all to often time that MJ decides it doesn't want to play nice.

:nod: MJ = "(US/Canada) Long Distance Replacement, not yet Landline Replacement"
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing123,

Well you have touched on a subject that I had not even considered - Security.

I personally am not very big on the security issue, although I probably should be. There is a tremendous amount of private information that goes over Cell-phone, Cordless phones, copper wire and of course MJ (VOIP systems in general).

I don't know that what I am about to say is true but I don't think any of them are as secure as they would lead you to believe. And lets face it, it would not take a Rocket Scientist to tap your Copper system either.

I would bet a cup of coffee (big spender) that most people don't give a second thought to the information that they will reveal over the phone, any phone.

testing123, I would like to hear your opinion, I don't think copper is all that secure. At the end of my block is a Telco Trunk Box and I don't even think they lock it.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
testing123,

Well you have touched on a subject that I had not even considered - Security.

I personally am not very big on the security issue, although I probably should be. There is a tremendous amount of private information that goes over Cell-phone, Cordless phones, copper wire and of course MJ (VOIP systems in general).

I don't know that what I am about to say is true but I don't think any of them are as secure as they would lead you to believe. And lets face it, it would not take a Rocket Scientist to tap your Copper system either.

I would bet a cup of coffee (big spender) that most people don't give a second thought to the information that they will reveal over the phone, any phone.

testing123, I would like to hear your opinion, I don't think copper is all that secure. At the end of my block is a Telco Trunk Box and I don't even think they lock it.

I think you make a VERY good point -- i.e., the physical security to access the Copper. Yes, the line security IS only as good as the physical access permits.

However, the "Legal Authority" to access the copper (Pre-Bush/Pre-911 fear era) had pretty decently stringent requirements to do a Legal wiretap.

I am not so sure VOIP has the same Legal hurdles at this time.

It is shockingly easy to snoop the VOIP convo by either your VOIP-ISP or Internet-ISP.

Worse yet, the Wireless is that much easier, because, after all, it is flying around in the air and you don't need "physical" access (to a hard line) -- You just need "proximal" access to grab signal.

Let's not even get into your Internet Connection itself or if you use IP over Powerline. You don't want to know how many times I have witnessed Telco company Techs using neighorhood networks to hop on their VPN to communicate about a service call Shocked

So easy a "Caveman could do it" ... or little kids on YouTube who TEACH it!! Shocked
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing123,

Thanks - now I have a new phobia to add to my already extensive list.

Actually the one about the Telco folks hopping on a line for whatever reason had never entered my mind. But I do know that if I wanted free INTERNET access there must be at least four of my neighbors that don't have their 802.11-N secured. I could jump on here and there and I am not so sure late at night these folks (mostly thru lake of knowledge) would ever know they were footing the bill for my Internet browsing (not to mention there computers are also probably not protected). They are nice neighbors but I don't think they are aware how nice. Very Happy

PS - I have never attempted to access any of my neighbors machines or access point, I am one of those kind of guys that never gets away with anything. I just know there open because my wireless configuration software tells me the are there. Good signal, Open and ready to be abused. Actually if I was a good neighbor I suppose I should go house to house (around me) and attempt to discover whom these folks are and tell them they are looking for trouble.

Also it just dawned on me that we are probably way off topic and fixing to get a nasty note from the administrator.
redlox
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
kumar,

I did catch the :-D on your post but I was not sure about SpamBox. :?

Actually people that make a living ripping people off and take a pill that puts them to sleep permanently ... well I don't have a problem with that. :roll:

@ all there are just a lot of people out there that have very little Electronics or Electrical skills Which just opens the door for people like the two hundred dollar huckster. You know (and I am not accusing the Geek Squad of any wrong doing) but that is precisely what keeps them in business. And IMHO I think there would be a lot of none functional computer around if it wasn't for the Geek Squad.

This world has become so Hi-Tech that most people that don't hobby or work int the Electronic/Computer field are just up a creek if not for people like the Geek Squad or Honest MJ installers, including my mother God bless her.

I build and repair PC's...have heard about the rip-off prices GEEK squad charges..have had new customers (unknowledgable seniors) who had GEEK squad there before me...spent $300.00 for a reload of WIN 98..PC had 64 RAM...I told customer buying a new PC for a few bucks more should have been recommended. I charge by the hour $60.00..sure I could keep the meter running and come out of there with @ $120.00 but suggest they use their bucks for a new PC ...I even call them on the weekend to tell them where the sales are. These people just use PC for email..if they call dell the salesman will sell them all the bells and whistles they will never use. I once had a housecall to repair a new Dell running XP1 with 128 RAM..that had crashed. Of course..it had a $150.00 speaker system ..sold by the salesperson. Dell tech support which took 3 hrs. to reach..tried to get this non-savvy person to reload it. I put in more RAM...reloaded it and hasn't crashed since. GEEK squad is a rip-off as is also COMPUSA and Dell (if you're technically illiterate) Unknowing people get "taken"!!!
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedLox,

It is kind of sad that a lot of Senior Citizens get hammered that way. It is nice to hear someone like yourself that goes out of their way in an attempt to turn the tide in favor of the of the unknowing.

Your story reminds me of when I was a teenager and worked part time for a TV repair shop. I made a house call to a poor part of town and found the TV unplugged. I plugged it back in, had to charge for the house call but that was all I did.

When I got back to the shop I was told that if I ever made a house call again and didn't find some wrong (even if I had to invent a problem) and charge them for it that would be the end of my after school job. Don't think I will ever forget that and how mercenary people can be. I am not claiming I walk on water or anything but to take advantage of people that have absolutely no clue they are being take for a ride is just a bit too much for me.

PS - I knew the Geek Squad charged pretty healthy prices but I didn't know they were as bad as you indicate they are.
SpamBox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redlox wrote:
GEEK squad is a rip-off as is also COMPUSA and Dell (if you're technically illiterate) Unknowing people get "taken"!!!

And that would be why CompUSA has been shut down! It pisses me off how they rip-off people. I know longer to pc tech work for a living, but when I did it for the military i also worked my own side jobs. I didn't have all the certs at that time so i would charge $25-30/hr. Half the time I didn't even charge as much as i could of probably charge (setup anti-virus program and set it to run, could of sat there and waited, just watching the dollars rack up but no - I said call me when it's done!)

And about all the other posts. I didn't mean to scare anyone off, just don't think it's fair to call something someone wants to do stupid, like wiring their house; and when the agrument is because there are less cords by using cordless phone system - that's just lame! They are plenty of people in this world who still like using a corded phone. One reason might be security but I doubt as most people don't know anything about security (look at the ID theft problem!).

I've gone to my neighbors and helped them secure their networks. They at first didn't understand why. I said, Ok give me a day or two and I'll show you. Went back, showed them their passwords to their email accounts, Amazon, bank accounts, files from their hard drive to include scanned in passport pic and also scanned in birth certificates. Great job backing up important documents, and thanks for making it easier to steal your identity. Well long story short, they let me fix their network which I did for free. And they have since told friends, and even though I don't want to do side jobs anymore I still feel obligated to help.

And now I totally forgot where i was going with all of this and why I started rambling in the first place - most be getting old....

Sidenote - if you live near any kind of military installation that does intel/signal work...just realize that for fun we used to use our signal analysis equip and scan the local airwaves! Wow the stuff you hear people talking about! So much more interesting then listening to boring troop movements! Also it's not very hard to "upgrade" a scanner to pickup cordless & mobile phones... But I'm a hypocrite as i do use a cordless & mobile phones, though I do watch what I say, especially late at night when I drive near the base! LOL Laughing
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpamBox wrote:
redlox wrote:
GEEK squad is a rip-off as is also COMPUSA and Dell (if you're technically illiterate) Unknowing people get "taken"!!!

And that would be why CompUSA has been shut down! It pisses me off how they rip-off people. I know longer to pc tech work for a living, but when I did it for the military i also worked my own side jobs. I didn't have all the certs at that time so i would charge $25-30/hr. Half the time I didn't even charge as much as i could of probably charge (setup anti-virus program and set it to run, could of sat there and waited, just watching the dollars rack up but no - I said call me when it's done!)

And about all the other posts. I didn't mean to scare anyone off, just don't think it's fair to call something someone wants to do stupid, like wiring their house; and when the agrument is because there are less cords by using cordless phone system - that's just lame! They are plenty of people in this world who still like using a corded phone. One reason might be security but I doubt as most people don't know anything about security (look at the ID theft problem!).

I've gone to my neighbors and helped them secure their networks. They at first didn't understand why. I said, Ok give me a day or two and I'll show you. Went back, showed them their passwords to their email accounts, Amazon, bank accounts, files from their hard drive to include scanned in passport pic and also scanned in birth certificates. Great job backing up important documents, and thanks for making it easier to steal your identity. Well long story short, they let me fix their network which I did for free. And they have since told friends, and even though I don't want to do side jobs anymore I still feel obligated to help.

And now I totally forgot where i was going with all of this and why I started rambling in the first place - most be getting old....

Sidenote - if you live near any kind of military installation that does intel/signal work...just realize that for fun we used to use our signal analysis equip and scan the local airwaves! Wow the stuff you hear people talking about! So much more interesting then listening to boring troop movements! Also it's not very hard to "upgrade" a scanner to pickup cordless & mobile phones... But I'm a hypocrite as i do use a cordless & mobile phones, though I do watch what I say, especially late at night when I drive near the base! LOL Laughing

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

PS Now it looks like TigerDirect bought out CompUSA ... so they shall live to ripoff another day. LOL

PPS Largest Information Security breach in US history so far, TJX, supposedly over 100,000,000 people affected, occurred via Wireless (WEP cracking). http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/21/60minutes/main3530302.shtml
voiplover
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey SpamBox, I have a whole bunch of IFR equipment! Smile
gnimsh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey jc2020, can you tell us just what kind of scam happened with your daughter? Just so we can know what it was and avoid it. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: