magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magic Jack Plus in stand alone mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zachrey
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack Plus in stand alone mode

We ordered MagicJack Plus on February 2012 and have been reasonably satisfied with it so far. Good sound quality for the most part. Hiccups here and there. BUT AS OF DECEMBER 13, 2012, MAGIC JACK PLUS STOPPED WORKING IN STAND ALONE MODE (no calls out or in; it immediately goes to voicemail when you try to call it). I connected the unit to my laptop and it worked fine. While trying to troubleshoot it, I noticed the MagicJack app downloaded an update. Perhaps this is why the unit stopped working?!

So I plugged the unit back into the 120VAC outlet and plugged in the ethernet cable and whaddya know?! It started to work again! So if your MJ Plus suddenly failed around this dat, try plugging it into your laptop that has a MagicJack app loaded on it and see if it updates the little bugger.

UPDATE:
I discovered that the problem is still there (we live in an, off grid, solar powered house and usually shut off the power at night since the house batteries are so cold and the nights are so long). So there definitely appears to be a sequence of events you must follow in order to make it work in stand alone mode:

1)unplug ethernet cable from MJ plus
2)unplug MJ+ from the little power supply
3)wait a few seconds and plug the MJ+ back into the power.
4)the blue light will immediately come on and after ten seconds or so, a green light will start blinking, next to the blue light.
5)now you can plug in the ethernet cable and the phone should work.

Hope that helps someone.
cjryan48
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject:

I've had my MJPlus for less than a month. Within 48 hours of using it I noticed it shut itself off. I unplugged the power source and plugged it back in and it works. I discovered I could also unplug the MJP unit from the power adapter and replug and it was good for another 10-12 hours. Contacted MJ support who said they could send me a "free" replacement for $9.99 "shipping" cost for an item that would cost less than $1.00. Apparently they know they have a problem and are doing their best to make money from it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: