magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

magic jack + fax - YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel devereaux
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: magic jack + fax - YOU CAN DO IT!!! Reply with quote

Very Happy THE REASON WHY MAJIC JACK DOESN'T COMPLETE SENDING AND RECEIVING FAXES... is because Window's firewall and your router's firewall (if you have one in place) filter the UDP traffic packets - and this results in a "clicking" sound when you are on a call!!! This line noise causes the call to drop and faxes to send or receive incompletely!

TO RESOLVE THIS - open your windows firewall via control panel, and *add* 2 ports as follows (opening 2 ports): The first port - name it MJ1, it uses port number 5060 and passes UDP traffic (not TCP). The second port - name it MJ2, it uses port 5070 and passes UDP traffic (not TCP). THEN... reboot your computer with the Magic Jack device plugged in. Then try HP's faxback number (Google it) toll-free to send and receive a confirmation fax.

If you have a HOME ROUTER attached to your DSL, Fios, or Cable modem, go to a command prompt (start>run>command>click ok) and then type in "ipconfig /all" *(without the quotes) at the command prompt. As the results scroll down the screen, use the right scroll bar (drag with your mouse) up through the results, and write down your IP v4 address as well as your Gateway address (###.###.##.##). Then you can open a web browser, type in your *Gateway* address as follows: http://###.###.##.## (substitute the pound signs with the actual numbers) and then hit enter. Your router will prompt you for the username and password - you should have this, or you can Google the default for your brand and model of router. Inside your router's config, open the 2 ports (5060 and 5070 for UDP traffic). If the router's config looks for a "range" of ports (### to ###), enter 5060 to 5060 and 5070 to 5070. The port forwarding (under games and applications heading for linksys) will ask you for an IP address of where to forward the traffic too - enter your computer's IP v4 address that you wrote down from the DOS prompt.

EXTRA TIDBITS:
If you are trying this with a dial-up connection, it won't work. If you still have faxes failing - try to close all open web browsers, and stop any active downloads or streaming internet content while faxing. If you are trying to do this via a wireless connection, 1) set your router's wireless channel to any other besides channel 6; 2) move your computer closer to your wireless router, 3) I wouldn't recommend having your fax machine connected to your wireless router via USB; 4) It won't work well with your neighbor's wireless, 5) a wired connection to your router works best; and 6) A usb-ethernet dongle (device) won't work well either. If you take your laptop on the go, and then bring it back home and connect to your wired or wireless connection, your IP v4 address might change - if it does, run the ipconfig /all command again, write down your IP v4 address, go into your router's config (in your web browser), log in, and then change the 2 UDP ports (5060 and 5070) to forward to your new IP v4 address. You will probably have to put checks in the boxes by the appropriate forwarded ports in your router's configuration, and then click "Save" button at the bottom of the port forwarding page to "activate" your forwarded ports. Then reboot.

SUCCESS STORY:

Have I tried this - yes, and I was successfully able to send and receive a 1 page fax (from HP's faxback service) from my home on a wired connection, and at the truckstop via thier wireless hotspot! EQUIPMENT USED: HP's compaq presario v6000 w/ XP home, SP3, 4 GB of ram; HP OfficeJet J3640 All in one printer/fax/scanner; Magic Jack Device; 802.11 g wireless connection; and a USB 2 cable to connect the printer to the laptop.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write-up, Daniel. Unfortunately jumping through these hoops will not guarantee fax connectivity.
Too many other variables that are beyond our control on ISP's individual networks that affect integrity and accuracy of data flow once the bits leave our system.
Immutable fact of life in the internet world is that analog data transmission is hit-or-miss in the digital climate of the internet.
That your specific situation works is an anomaly and does not provide an universal solution.
For the record, I have access to 3 different ISP's. Faxing is only regularly working with my VZ Fios circuit, miserable with my Cable connection and impossible with my clearwire wireless broadband setup.
Lucky for you it works in your case, this time.....
deadtadpoles
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scan, PDF, email, DONE.
Carolinablue
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've faxed with mind quite a few times. I have MJ plugged in the USB and plugged into my internal modem on my laptop. I use WinFax in Win7 and it works great for me.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all of us are endowed with telepathic abilities, though.
Carolinablue
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No telepathic abilities necessary. I've found that plug and play does not always work as it should so sometimes when you plug in your MJ and or setup for faxing, you'll need to reboot after setup. Just takes a little playing around and reading. God bless you
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carolinablue wrote:
No telepathic abilities necessary.

I think he was making a joke on your use of the word "mind" instead of "mine". Very Happy
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda sucks when one has to explain it Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:

It does takes some of the zing out of the joke. I thought it was pretty clever of the Whiz, and it took me a few readings to figure out what the heck he was talking about, so it would be easy to overlook if you were unfamiliar with the humor in here.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:

It does takes some of the zing out of the joke. I thought it was pretty clever of the Whiz, and it took me a few readings to figure out what the heck he was talking about, so it would be easy to overlook if you were unfamiliar with the humor in here.

There is humor here???? WOW who knew Smile

But then when "SOMEONE" thought I was talking to them and not you WAS pretty damn funny.......
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:

But then when "SOMEONE" thought I was talking to them and not you WAS pretty damn funny.......

Shhhh. I do admit I chuckled a little bit.
Barada Nels
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: LMAO Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
There is humor here???? WOW who knew Smile

Hey, don't ride me too hard. John is a common noun used in my region to describe a nameless person or an unknown name. I.E. John doe.

Blame the old hillbillies in my area at the barber shop that cannot remember names. LMAO!

But, yeah it was funny. I was like damn . . . they sauced me!
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: LMAO Reply with quote

Barada Nels wrote:

Not to disagree with you AGAIN, but it was funny, to me anyway, because you pretty much sauced yourself. We were pretty much just "innocent" bystanders watching. Cool
Barada Nels
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: LMAO Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Barada Nels wrote:

Not to disagree with you AGAIN, but it was funny, to me anyway, because you pretty much sauced yourself. We were pretty much just "innocent" bystanders watching. Cool

Okay, fair enough. Sometimes it is hard to discern regional lingual from proper English when you have been around it for a generation. Bottom line, I should have read more carefully. LMAO!
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in your defence not many people know Nailgunners real name is John (IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME!! evil grin).
So really partly my fault for using his name when not many knew who I was talking about, but it did turn out to be a good laugh AND when you realized in your post and typed what you did I have to admit it made me laugh out loud Smile
Us old timers here always bust on each other as we know it is all in good fun...
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
(IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME!! evil grin).

Who would use a fake name on a Yahoo email account? I would hope I would be more creative than John for a fake name, geeze. I do really like Bartholomew, but it has been taken by Mr. Diogenes. Maybe Harmon, after my boyhood hero Harmon Killebrew, who recently passed away.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoulders and arms like a truck that guy... Hell of a hitter...

Thanks Bart.... Smile
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<snicker>

Yes, it was just a little joke about the "mind" typo. Glad it didn't cause a ruckus.

This is still a fun and informative forum.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:
<snicker>

Yes, it was just a little joke about the "mind" typo. Glad it didn't cause a ruckus.

Not to the ones who got it Smile
Carolinablue
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys if I'm a little slow, comes with age I guess. I didn't catch the "mind" thing until it was explained. Does make a good joke at that. I need to check my spelling more huh. But being telepathic was a good come back there Whiz. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, in good fun.....At your expense this time, next time me or anyone else. HAVE to have some fun in life...
Carolinablue
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
As always, in good fun..... . HAVE to have some fun in life...

Amen to that, Amen.
janam4u
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off Dexter is the best tv show

Dexter: Plug your fax machne into your magicJack, just as you would normally connect your fax machine to your telephone jack.
Dexter: IMPORTANT!! If your magicJack is connected to your computer, make sure that "Normal (Hi-Speed)" is selected. Your fax machine will not work if you have selected "Air Card (3G)".
vikas: still now working i read somewhere the my firewall maybe blocking it so i gave MJ full access any other ideas
vikas: sorry typo still NOT working
Dexter: May I know what anti-virus you are using?
vikas: just the microsoft essentials
Dexter: Please click the �START�(WINDOWS LOGO) button and select �Control Panel�. On the upper right side, click the dropdopwn menu next to View by and Select �Small Icons�.
vikas: ok
Dexter: Please double click �Windows Firewall� (make sure it is On so that we can add the ports). Then click Advanced settings in the left column of the Windows Firewall window.
Dexter: Select Inbound Rules in the left column . >>> Select New Rule in the right column. >>> Then put the dot on the circle for Port, in the New Inbound Rule Wizard and then click Next.
Dexter: please click Protocol and ports, then put the dot on the circle for UDP >>>> then put the dot on the Specific local ports and type 5060 in the box next to it >>> the click the Next button...
Dexter: Please select Allow the connection and then click Next. >>> Make sure the boxes for Domain, Private and Public are Checked then click Next. >>> Then type MJ1 as name and click Finish
Dexter: After that, please do the same 1-3 steps, but the port number is 5070 and name it as MJ2�.
vikas: all in Inbound rules
vikas: and UDP correct
Dexter: Yes
Dexter: Inform me when finished.
vikas: finished
Dexter: Thanks
Dexter: Now unplug and replug fax machine and check if it works.

dont know if it works but do this in win7
americandream46
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Will this work on Magic Jack Plus not using a computer? Reply with quote

I just purchased Magic Jack Plus and have it working kind of passably with my house interior wiring that includes two phones and a fax machine. And I understand the vagaries of MJ+ and fax machines, BUT, if I'm using Magic Jack Plus plugged directly into my router, do I just do the Router portion of the original poster's technique? Do I look up the IPv4 on my wife's Dell and take that to my dd-WRT/Linksys router? No reason to play with the Windows firewall, right? Any additional instructions necessary for this kind of setup? thank you for all the great info on this site!
billwynne
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great write-up and I appreciate you taking the time to do it. I just got the MJ+ and have not been able to make it work plugging it into my router...no go. So I have the MJ+ in my computer and it is working fine but I can't get the fax to work.

I have tried to set my fax to international and slow the speed down but it is not working.

Do you know if getting Internet over an RF signal works against MJ?

I get the signal RF from a Fiber Optic cable. 6 down and 3 up.

Thanks for any feedback.
tkurtz1960
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: What do I choose in the application drop down? Reply with quote

I created the two prots and went into the router port forwarding configuration. There is a list of "applications" it is asking me to choose from. They are FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, DNS, SMTP, POP 3, TELNET, IPsec, PPTP, Net Meeting, DCS-1000, DCS-2000/DCS-4300, 12eye.

Can you let me know what I chosse that will change the ports for the fax machine?

Thanks
Casper
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Fax with magicjack/magicjack plus Reply with quote

I have no problems sending a fax with either magicjack or magicjack plus. Today I faxed 15 documents, each with 2 attachments. I just prefix the fax number with 1. For instance if the fax number is area code 608 and the number 456 4444. I dial 16084564444. Works every time without fail
Liz9698
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to send or receive faxes with magic jack all you have to do is go to your magic jack screen and at the top right there are 2 circles one says normal and one says air card click the circle that sys normal to use your fax and when you want to switch to use your phone just click the one that says air card.
mattwithcats
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Turn off V 34 Reply with quote

VoIP is limited to around 25K baud.
The sender of the fax needs to turn off V 34 speed, which is 33.6K baud...

The fax should then send at 19.2K baud.

This is why some work, and some do not...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: