magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Lucky You" upgrade? (6/8/2009)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: "Lucky You" upgrade? (6/8/2009) Reply with quote

Anyone else getting the "Lucky You" (kiss of death) forced upgrade?

It looks like the .dll version is 1.80.484.1. (The one from Dec. 17 is 1.80.466.3).

I run dongleless. So, the upgrade doesn't work. I'm reluctant to plug in the dongle and let it do the real upgrade. I'm thinking about blocking access to upgrade.talk4free.com (and continue running with my dongleless setup). But, I'm worried that now that it tried one upgrade, my dongleless environment may be broken.

Mark
Atari Man
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: "Lucky You" upgrade? (6/8/2009) Reply with quote

az2008 wrote:

It looks like the .dll version is 1.80.484.1. (The one from Dec. 17 is 1.80.466.3).

I run dongleless. So, the upgrade doesn't work. I'm reluctant to plug in the dongle and let it do the real upgrade. I'm thinking about blocking access to upgrade.talk4free.com (and continue running with my dongleless setup). But, I'm worried that now that it tried one upgrade, my dongleless environment may be broken.

Mark

I got that recently.. no big deal.. I run with the dongle.. Didnt notice any difference
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lucky You" upgrade? (6/8/2009) Reply with quote

Atari Man wrote:
I got that recently.. no big deal.. I run with the dongle.. Didnt notice any difference

Thanks. I connected the USB device and let it upgrade. The version (in the registry) is 20090410000001. April 10 was a long time ago. Strange that I wasn't upgraded until June 08.

The .exe version is 1.80.484.1, for what it's worth.

Mark
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you did the equivalent to talking to yourself on here:)

So far 911 info doesnt show on soft phone and the Do Not Disturb is gone. Other than that all seems ok. No idea if time limits on calls have been removed, or shortened or lengthened. I am sure we will find out over the next few days and weeks that info and anything else that may have been changed. Heaven forbid they have a change log right??

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Popgory
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lucky You" upgrade? (6/8/2009) Reply with quote

az2008 wrote:

Yes, the thin client did a hick-up as the EWF was on.

I redid the update and shut-off the EWF. mJ came up as updated. Enabled EWF (forcing the reboot).

All seems to be working well. Time will tell.
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just forced a reboot and got the Lucky You!,after update all seems OK on my end.

Called wife and she said it sounded fine! Smile

Update:Noticed this version is much more responsive,faster dial tone,faster to ring,faster to connect Very Happy
eesamo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using MJ without the dongle, because of the fact that the dongle seems to be broken so I am relaying on the softphone version of MJ. But since I got this message, the softphone without dongle trick won't work.
The thing is I can't upgrade my MJ since the dongle is broken and every time I plug the USB device it freezes my computer and eventually unplug automatically and the blue light turns off.
Now, I am not able to run the softphone nor do the upgrades that require the USB device to be plugged ... I hate these updates ...

Anyone have any ideas how to overcome this problem???
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eesamo wrote:
Anyone have any ideas how to overcome this problem???

The dongle is supposed to be warranteed for the length of your service contract. For example, people who purchased the "gold" (5-year) plan were told it comes with a 5-year warranty.

You could contact chat support. Ignore any advice you don't feel comfortable with (just say "ok, that's done, now what") and ask to be escalated to a supervisor. If you can't get them to replace the dongle, ask the supervisor if they're telling you that you need to contact Dan directly and tell him that "fill in the name" said I had to contact him for help.

I pulled that once and got the supervisor's attention.

The wiki has contact info if you have to make good on your threat. But, be careful to word it as innocently as you can (not a threat).

Mark
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt9876 wrote:
Just forced a reboot and got the Lucky You!,after update all seems OK on my end.

I'm glad to know it wasn't just me. Atari's comment made it sound like the upgrade happened a long time ago. The version number contributed to that feeling too.

But, it sounds like a few people are getting it today.

Mark

Last edited by az2008 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
eesamo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I did not know that you can ask for replacement.
I am trying with these guys since forever to get replacement and they tell me to do so and so, even I am sure that mine is broken...
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eesamo wrote:
Thanks for the advice, I did not know that you can ask for replacement.
I am trying with these guys since forever to get replacement and they tell me to do so and so, even I am sure that mine is broken...

See: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/post28057.html#28057

And, http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/post29844.html#29844 where Ricard (support manager?) said they will honor the 5-year warranty.

If you only bought the 1-year plan (which may be a good idea instead of prepurchasing a headache), I think the question is whether MJ warranties the device for the one year? (And, what do they do when you buy another year at full price? Or, they buy the additional 5 years after initial purchase?).

You might have to make good on the "threat" and contact some of the leadership using the contact info on the wiki. IMO, MJ doesn't have a principled position to honor a 5-year warranty when selling discounted years. But, not warranty the device for 1 year (or additional years at full price). Especially when they don't provide any way for you to buy a replacement device *only*.

They make money from people who throw away MJ after 3-6 months. That's money in Dan's pocket. But, it seems like they'd make money by selling replacement devices (or giving them away for free) and keeping people in a position where they might renew for another year (for just $20).

This is the kind of Mickey Mouse stuff I don't like about MJ. The warranty isn't clear. It may apply in one case but not the other (without any principle to justify the difference). And, no way to upgrade the hardware so you can salvage your unused time.

Mark
eesamo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted them and they transfer me to a higher level customer care and eventually he said that they will send a replacement and I should return the broken one back... Very Happy
I am waiting now for the confirmation email...
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eesamo wrote:
I contacted them and they transfer me to a higher level customer care and eventually he said that they will send a replacement and I should return the broken one back... Very Happy
I am waiting now for the confirmation email...

Be sure to contact them again when you receive the new USB device *before* you connect it to your computer. They're supposed to be able to relate the new device to your existing phone number if contacted *before* the new device is connected. Otherwise you'll go through the new setup, choose a new number, and there's nothing they can do to undo that.

When you contact them again, if they don't know what you're talking about, do the escalation thing again (even threatening to contact MJ's senior leadership team saying "fill in the blank" told me I needed to contact you for help).

More than a few people have gotten new devices related to their existing phone number. It's all a matter of finding the right chat support person who knows, or cares. The only control you have over the situation is whether they care.

Mark
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So far 911 info doesnt show on soft phone and the Do Not Disturb is gone."

The 911 info is back. It must have been a temporary glitch.
I wonder why would anybody want to run the service without the dongle ?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
I wonder why would anybody want to run the service without the dongle?

Because they don't need to use a handset. And, because the softphone opens the dongle's flash drive for write every 3 seconds. And, MJ doesn't provide a way to replace the dongle without buying more time.

Stated another way, why use the dongle when you don't need to, and the software abuses the flash drive (contributing to premature failure), and there's no way to replace the dongle at a reasonable price?

You can use "procmon" to verify the 3-second writable open. I haven't checked it since last October/November. Maybe it's been fixed.

Mark
mitchgrdc
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Defective Jack - Contact support message Reply with quote

My mj has been down for over 24 hours. Four hours was spent chatting with tech support only to find out finally from them that it is a network problem after they tried to do an upgrade. They still say that the engineers are working on the issue. No ETA to fix it.
VanguardLH
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding getting the dongle replaced, chatting with them, even after getting to an "engineer" is completely fruitless. They will *not* issue you an RMA. Fact is, they don't do anything for you regarding a replacement. Eventually, once they cave in, they will tell you to simply ship the defective dongle to their Florida office to get a replacement. So just go ahead and ship it with a note asking for replacement without wasting your hours trying to convince the chat folks to let you do the replacement for which they don't issue an RMA or add any ticket to authorize you to do the replacement. They can't do anything, so just send it in and skip the chat crap.

magicJack LP
PO BOX 6846
West Palm Beach, FL 33405

Well, I'll clarify that. They WILL charge your credit card and send you a new unit, you ship the defective one back to them, and they cancel (rather than refund) their initial charge. It's called an "exchange". You pay, they send, you send back, they refund. If you don't need the dongle (i.e., you're not worried about down-time *if* you are using the dongle) then just ship it in. Chat reps can only handle an exchange, they cannot issue an RMA to do a normal replacement (where you are without the product for a while).
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanguardLH wrote:
Chat reps can only handle an exchange, they cannot issue an RMA to do a normal replacement (where you are without the product for a while).

I think that's all the post 30-day people are expecting (exchange, not RMA).

You're right that dealing with chat support isn't pleasant. Thus my suggestions to pretend you're following their instructions; and subtle ways to get them to escalate.

I would be hesitant to send the dongle back without first receiving assurance that they'll replace it, and are expecting it, etc. MJ isn't known for its consistency (in business operations or service quality). I would worry that I'd be out a dongle, or sitting for months waiting for fulfillment (without any way to check on it, or tell anyone why I expected fulfillment).

The most passionate complaints about MJ arise from people who took too much for granted. (They didn't ask when the 30-day trial began. Or, they didn't ask if the 5-year-plan starts now, or the beginning of the original plan. Or, what "talk as long as you want" means.). I would never encourage someone to just mail their dongle and hope MJ plays by some assumed rules. (I.e., the ToS says MJ is under no requirement to replace the dongle.).

I agree it's a pain to go through the chat session. It would be nice if MJ sold replacement dongles. (It would also be nice if they didn't require the dongle, and a person could save wear and tear if they only need the softphone.).

Mark
VanguardLH
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

az2008 wrote:
I would be hesitant to send the dongle back without first receiving assurance that they'll replace it, and are expecting it, etc.

Unless you go through their "pay first, get refunded later" exchange scheme, they won't ever be expecting the receipt of a defective dongle. They won't issue an RMA. They won't submit a trouble ticket. They are completely disconnected from the corporate offices.

az2008 wrote:

The most passionate complaints about MJ arise from people who took too much for granted. (They didn't ask when the 30-day trial began. Or, they didn't ask if the 5-year-plan starts now, or the beginning of the original plan. Or, what "talk as long as you want" means.). I would never encourage someone to just mail their dongle and hope MJ plays by some assumed rules. (I.e., the ToS says MJ is under no requirement to replace the dongle.).

As a matter of fact, and by the absence of ANY published warranty, they warranty absolutely NOTHING of their product (software, hardware, or service). Doing the chat won't make a warranty suddenly appear, either.

For the 30-day refund period, I suggest using a temporary credit card. Some credit card issuers have a service where you can create a temporary credit card number (that is tied to your real account). You can specify the max that can be charged and when it expires. I created a temp card for the expected charge (plus shipping) plus a few bucks more and a 2-month expiration. MagicJack didn't charge my card until the 30 days had elapsed. That meant that I could cancel the temp card which means they couldn't charge it. That way, I could initiate the [dis]satisfaction return and not worry that they'll stall beyond the 30-day trial period.
VanguardLH
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted above, I shipped the dongle to MagicJack to get them to replace it. That means I don't have the dongle now. I had the dongleless setup (i.e., the data/config store folder was moved to the hard drive and the magicjack.exe software was loaded with parameters to have it find its data/config store on the hard drive). Alas, now I am also stuck with the damn thing wanting to do an update.

Of course, it wants to find the emulated CD drive and emulated disk drive that their dongle creates when plugged in. Since I don't have the dongle, the update fails. So rather than waiting until whenever they decide to ship back the replacement dongle, I'd like to keep the softphone from attempting an update.

I tried blocking access to magicjack.exe (since the router's log showed connects to notify.magicjack.com and web3.magicjack.com). That didn't work. Right before magicjack.exe decides to do an update, it connects to these sites. It also tries to connect to prov1.talk4free.com but, as I recall, that is used during the VOIP process to establish a session.

Any clues on how to kill, thwart, or disable the attempt to do an update?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanguardLH wrote:
Any clues on how to kill, thwart, or disable the attempt to do an update?

Sorry, no. It may be that by the time it tries to do an upgrade (for a dongleless environment) the files are already loaded (or registry entries are changed).

For example, when it upgraded me two days ago, I saw there was a folder in mjusb with newly updated files. The upgrade wasn't complete. But, I think that at this point, even if I blocked whatever network access it required for upgrades, it would have stayed in a loop trying to complete the upgrade.

If you have a backup, you could restore the directory to before the upgrade. Let it upgrade and watch it in Wireshark. Block any connections you think are contributing to the upgrade. Restore the directory again. See if it stops the upgrade.

But, if it doesn't stop it, you'll never know if it was due to registry changes from the first upgrade attempt. To be sure you'd have to restore the entire system, and use a Registry Diff tool (like http://wareseeker.com/download/registry-diff-1.3.rar/413092).

That sounds like a lot of work. But, I think the only way to know for sure is to see if the failed upgrade modified anything in the registry.

Mark
VanguardLH
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a restore of the %userprofile%\Application Data\mjusbsp folder (and also the C:\magicjack folder to where the data/config store got copied from the 2nd emulated drive for the dongle). Didn't work. Those files were from Monday of last week. I'll have to try restoring to an earlier date. I'm just wondering if the update is timed so that no matter what files are restored that they will see some date threshold has passed and try to do the update, or if it is triggered by it phoning home and seeing an update is available. So whether it's a date threshold or phoning home to check for an update, restoring files from 2 months ago won't help (that's as far as my backups go).

UPDATE

Did the file restores from backup. Could only go back to May 18 (apparently the partition for the backups got filled up with backups that were larger than I had anticipated so they got rolled over and I can only back a month). After the restore, the newest file was dated 4/1/2009 (April Fool's Day, ta-da) for a .gif file.

When I started magicjack.exe, it actually got to the point of saying "Ready for Call". So it fully loaded and was readily. However, immediately thereafter it went into an update check. So I need to prevent the update or make it look like it cannot connect "home" without destroying the VOIP function.

Someone mentioned the magicjack.dll files. After the restore from backup, I have (under %userprofile%\Application Data\):

mjusbsp\magicJack.dll (12/17/2008, v1.80.466.3)
mjusbsp\ar00000\magicJack.dll (2/29/2008, v1.80.426.3)
mjusbsp\in00000\magicJack.dll (12/17/2008, v1.80.466.3)
mjusbsp\st00000\magicJack.dll (12/17/2008, v1.80.466.3)
mjusbsp\ug00000\magicJack.dll (12/17/2008, v1.80.466.3)

I restored again from backups but deleted any upgrade.exe file found under those paths, and deleted the mjusbsp\Upgrade folder. Then I loaded magicjack.exe (with the params to have it look for its data/config store folder on the hard drive). Nope, it still got to the Ready for Call state and immediately started an upgrade.

Restored again, deleted the upgrade.exe file and Upgrade folder, and also deleted all the install.exe, mjsetup.exe and setup.exe files (and the magicJackLoader.exe and magicJackSplash.exe files although they should no longer be involved in a dongleless setup). Since I'm not starting MagicJack using the cdloader2.exe program that it puts in the registry Run key, I deleted that, too. What was left were the magicjack.exe and magicjack.dll files along with some ancilliary .gif and .html files.

Loaded magicjack.exe and it again gets to "Ready to Call" and then unloads and does an update. Once it populates the adware panel in the softphone, it has phoned home and found an update. I was going to see if using a software restriction policy (SRP) that would block install.exe, mjsetup.exe, setup.exe, and upgrade.exe under the mjusbsp folder and subfolders would prevent the upgrade from running. Those files were deleted after doing the restore - and they were still gone after the update started (and dumped me at www.magicjack.exe when it opened the web browser after reporting it could not find the dongle). So the softphone itself must be running the update.

So how do I prevent the update from occurring? Nothing of its files have yet been deposited on my host. The softphone must be connecting somewhere to check for the update.

I used the log in the router to see to where I was connecting during Magicjack's startup. Up to the point when it said "Ready to Call" (and immediately started an update but which doesn't do any network access after that because it's trying to find the dongle), I see it going to:

216.234.76.89 (notify.magicjack.com)
216.234.76.104 (web3.magicjack.com)
67.90.152.80 (prov1.talk4free.com)

I tried blocking on *.magicjack.* in Avast's Web Shield (its URL blocker) but apparently the softphone is using the IP addresses instead of the IP names. Avast just has its URL blocking, not IP blocking. I'm just using the Windows Firewall for now but don't see that IP addresses can be blocked. I really don't want to go to Comodo or OnlineArmor to get better granularity in firewalling. Rather I just want to prevent the softphone from finding an update.
mitchgrdc
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: ETA for repair now 12 to 24 hours Reply with quote

From a just finished chat: "am just check from our engineers and found that the fixed will still take within 12-24 to get it fix for they are still doing some upgrades on our system. We really do apologize for the inconvenience that has caused you"
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanguardLH wrote:
216.234.76.89 (notify.magicjack.com)
216.234.76.104 (web3.magicjack.com)
67.90.152.80 (prov1.talk4free.com)

The last time someone said updates could be blocked, they said it was done by blocking 216.234.76.180 (upgrade.talk4free.com).

Also, my upgraded system connects to prov2 also.

But, if you're not seeing either of those during the upgrade process (using wireshark), I don't know.

On my system, it took awhile for it to download the upgrade. Enough time that it would have been evident what IP/hostname it was coming from (using wireshark). It seems like identifying that and blocking it would be the thing to do. It's just a question of whether MJ would fall back to normal usage, or display an error if it can't upgrade itself.

Mark
VanguardLH
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, neither SRP, TCP/IP config, Avast's Web Shield, or Windows Firewall will let me block on an IP address. Blocking on the IP name has not worked. Both magicjack.com and talk4free.com were blocked by their IP name (I actually expected a failure in not establishing a VOIP session). Nope, they didn't get blocked so IP names are not been issued but instead IP addresses. I took a brief wander through IPsec but couldn't see how to block on specific IP addresses. So I'll have to consider installing a more potent 3rd party firewall (I've had them before but prefer a simpler setup - and I hate doing all this work for one shitty program).

I did the run of MagicJack, let it start (and fail) its update, and then went into the group policy editor (gpedit.msc) to define SRPs (software restriction policies) that disallowed the loading of the install.exe, install1.exe, mjsetup.exe, setup.exe, setup1.exe, magicjackSplash.exe, magicjackLoader.exe, and upgrade.exe files everywhere under %userprofile%\Application Data\mjusbsp that they were found. I then did a restore of those files (and c:\magicjack for the data/config store folder) and ran magicjack.exe. It got to the "Ready to Call", disappeared, and that was it. I looked in Event Viewer and saw that SRP had killed off the magicjackSplash.exe program.

So the softphone is trying to initiate the boot sequence performed by the autorun.inf file on the 1st emulated [CD] drive produced by the dongle.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanguardLH wrote:
So I'll have to consider installing a more potent 3rd party firewall (I've had them before but prefer a simpler setup - and I hate doing all this work for one shitty program).

You should be able to use the route command to block access to an IP address. For example, the upgrade host would be: "route add 216.234.76.180 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.2". The 1.2 address should be a non-existent address within your local domain.

But, people have said this doesn't work with Vista, and (for unknown reasons) doesn't work with all XP installations.

Otherwise, use iptables/ipchains from a Tomato or DD-WRT router (or, using ipsec on the computer): "/usr/sbin/iptables -I FORWARD -d 216.234.76.180 -j DROP"

I think you just want to isolate the download traffic (using wireshark) as it's downloading the new software. Then block that address. Then determine of the softphone falls back to normal usability (as if there's a network problem and it will try again next time). Or, if it denies use until the upgrade occurs.

Mark
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't been checking the forum for a few weeks and so I was surprised when I saw this thread about a new software release. I had been thinking that MJ was overdo since the last release was in Dec. But what was more surprising was that I had no idea that I had already been upgraded. I'm not even sure when it happened. June 9 was right on top of Microsoft's Patch Tuesday so my machine was definitely rebooted on either June 9th or more likely on June 10th which of course would have caused MJ to restart. I remember during a reboot that the MJ splash screen came up (e.g., the minute for a lifetime of savings crap) and then went away for a few minutes only to be followed by the splash screen again. I got worried but then I saw the "magicjack loading" pop-up and the softphone came right up and all was good. It hasn't missed a beat since then and if anything, the calls have had good quality and no one has said anything about sound quality or tones on the other end. I talk to my hard-of-hearing 97 year old mother nightly and she has no problems with the sound quality (as she does when I call her from my less-than-great Sprint cell phone).

At least for me, not only was the upgrade totally invisible, but its working fine.

Anyone else have an "invisible" upgrade?
synchron
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days back, I caught a nasty virus/malware attack (yes, it was early in the morning and I stupidly ran an unknown "exe" off a newsgroup.) Dos boxes were opening up like crazy and I couldn't even 3 finger salute but I managed to save what I could and restore a Ghost backup from 9/08.

At any rate, once my PC went "back in time" I noticed that when the upgrade/lucky you occurred, I was up & running with the 4/10 S/W. But after setting up to run dongleless like deja-vu it wanted me to verify my account (I refused) and then from then on, it wouldn't work as I kept getting a form saying 'Serial number didn't pass'(dongleless only). After researching here, I lowered my security, ran with the dongle and eventually got it to work dongleless again (which works fine running simultaneous with mjmd5 proxy).

I thought this story was interesting in that it definitely proved that this upgrade wanted to know who I was by entering my mj account credentials. With "millions" of people using mj, am I like flagged for something?? Did this happen to everybody?? I just don't get that we are being queried when you have to have the hardware anyway to perform the upgrade and I hope this doesn't keep occuring with future upgrades.

Synchron Cool
Peabody
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

az2008 wrote:
VanguardLH wrote:
So I'll have to consider installing a more potent 3rd party firewall (I've had them before but prefer a simpler setup - and I hate doing all this work for one shitty program).

You should be able to use the route command to block access to an IP address. For example, the upgrade host would be: "route add 216.234.76.180 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.2". The 1.2 address should be a non-existent address within your local domain.

But, people have said this doesn't work with Vista, and (for unknown reasons) doesn't work with all XP installations.

Otherwise, use iptables/ipchains from a Tomato or DD-WRT router (or, using ipsec on the computer): "/usr/sbin/iptables -I FORWARD -d 216.234.76.180 -j DROP"

I think you just want to isolate the download traffic (using wireshark) as it's downloading the new software. Then block that address. Then determine of the softphone falls back to normal usability (as if there's a network problem and it will try again next time). Or, if it denies use until the upgrade occurs.

Mark

Much easier to make an entry in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts or /etc/hosts to 127.0.0.1 than trying to add routes or ipchains.
LiveByTheGulf
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Now my Fax doesn't work Reply with quote

I bought MagicJack in February 2009 to replace Comcasat digital phone. MJ worked great for making & receiving calls from friends & family. I also used it for faxing to customers. I was a very happy customer. Recently, we started to have problems faxing. I thought it was our customer's fax machine.

Today I had problems sending faxes to another customer and even sending a test fax. We fired up another fax machine - same problem. Then I set up MJ on my computer to send a fax (great idea) using the fax modem. I was able to send fax pages, but it wasn't reliable. It would send 1 page and part of the second page. Faxing was so slow & it seemed to fax each page minutes apart as a separate fax.

I took my promotion of MJ off my website. I've been sharing the praises of MJ for so long until now. I'd like to uninstall the update, but looks like the experts on this forum have been unsuccessful.
LiveByTheGulf
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the problem why the fax stopped working. I tried everything. Then I noticed at the top left of the magicjack window, there are two settings: 1) Normal (High speed connection) DSL, Comcast... and 2) Aircard 3G (AT&T, Sprint)...

I must have accidentally tapped the area and switched from highspeed connection to a 3G connection. I never noticed that feature before - the two different types of connections. Wonder how/why you would use the 3G connection.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a surprise as a result of the recent upgrade - I actually got a BUSY signal when dialing a number! I tried it several times - it doesn't appear to be a fluke. Also the sound quality is MUCH better than it was before the upgrade. My wife called me at the office on MJ and it sounded like she was sitting next door to me - also no beeps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: