magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Local number question..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pilaar39
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Local number question.. Reply with quote

This is a lot of chatter about the availability of local phone numbers for MagicJack.

I assume that the reason is for incoming calls, that is, that anyone calling in to a MagicJack number for outside the local calling area, is subjected to long distance charges.

So, is that the main concern with having a local number?

What if you wanted the MagicJack primarily to make outbound calls, and did not care about receiving incoming calls? Would I be correct in assuming that having a local number of MagicJack would not matter in that case?
dbarber
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Local number question.. Reply with quote

Pilaar39 wrote:

What if you wanted the MagicJack primarily to make outbound calls, and did not care about receiving incoming calls? Would I be correct in assuming that having a local number of MagicJack would not matter in that case?

It doesn't matter to me. I bought a two line phone for my "office", and stripped my POTS service to the least that Verizscum would allow. I am required to have a POTS line for my ADSL, so I keep it for incoming calls. All of my outgoing calls are done through the MJ.
My MJ's local number, while in my area code, is for a city twenty some miles away. It is NOT a local call from my POTS number to my MJ number. Since I don't expect people to call me, I don't care.

oh yeah, nice avatar! I remember the show well.

Donn
SpamBox
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're right, if using mj for outgoing it doesn't make a difference. the local number is for local callers to be able to call you without incurring long distance charges. That line between local/long distance is getting blurry all the time now.
Roozie
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: MJ to the Rescue!!!! Reply with quote

My company, located in Falls Church, Virginia, is in the 703 area code. I live in Gulfport, MS, area code 228. 228 is not even on the PENDING list yet, BUT I signed up and selected the 703 area code to begin my MJ experience. Now, anyone in my company can call my MJ number, and there are no long distance charges for the company. I can call anyone in the company with my MJ, and guess what? No long distance charges for me either!!

When area code 228 goes active at some point in the future, I will be tempted to buy a separate MJ so I can finally ditch the AT&T land line. It will be even better if "porting" is available in ther near future.

My big prayer is I wish MJ management would open the door to allow ATA equipment to be used with the MJ without the risk of losing the MJ service. I would love the flexibility to call into my phone center, and make a long distance call with the MJ. Hope that day comes soon as I would love to have unlimited anytime mintues with my cell. I am a T-mobile cell user under the MyFavs program. Grand Central is one my MyFavs, and I currently receive a text notification when someone leaves a voice message. I then call the person back at my convenience when I am near a landline phone (home or office). If I could connect with the MJ (if it was one of my faves), it could then be a pass-through to another MJ device, where I could get a dial tone to call out locally or long distance. Whups!!! Better wake up from this dream, it may take a while to pull this one off.

Bottom Line: I love the MJ and all that it is doing for me now!

Rooze
msiam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roozie, in the meantime.. check out this http://www.ringbranch.com/
this might do the trick with the T MO till the other trick comes thru for you.. works
4 me!! You can even make the Incoming on it the RBranch # for the favs
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had MJ customer service change my area code so I could show a local presence in a market area outside my immediate geography. Since I have it tied into Grand Cental and use the Caller ID spoofer, I feel I have the best of all possible worlds. Many thanks to this group! Also, I should mention my experience with MJ support was first rate! The change was made in less than five minutes and I was assured my old number would forward to the new one for a month.
lenagainster
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
I just had MJ customer service change my area code so I could show a local presence in a market area outside my immediate geography. .... The change was made in less than five minutes and I was assured my old number would forward to the new one for a month.

But you can't change it again.

And a word of advice to anyone thinking of changing numbers. The towns associated with the exchanges on the MJ list can be WRONG. They were for me. I'd suggest checking the exchange against another source (Google it). I live in an area where we have overlapping area codes, and some numbers in the same area code are local for some and LD for others nearby. I would have preferred a truly local number but I fumbled twice b/c I depended on the info on the MJ site and now I'm stuck with a number that is only local for some of my neighbors.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter to me on both counts. As long as I can show a local area code, I don't care. And for forty bones, I can always afford to buy another MJ. But for the rest of the folks, thanks for the heads up. In your situation, I can see where it is an issue, but for me it works gr8! Now, if I could only get rid of the echo everyone keeps telling me about!!!

Hawking-RB is next.
couch-potato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the main issue for the area code is the incoming calls. I don't want my friends to have to incur long distance charges.

BUT....for outgoing calls when people have caller ID and see my magic number, they may not answer, or just be confused about who it is, or may try to call back later. I fixed this using the caller ID spoofer.

ALSO....I couldn't get used to the fact that I had to dial "1+area code" to call people who I had always called with just seven digits. I also fixed this with the caller ID spoofer.
enny76
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: switching to local phone number Reply with quote

when i first got mj they gave me a telephone number out on long island, ny. i live in the bronx and wanted a local area code and exchange number. after a couple of weeks i stumbled upon something on their website which said i could change numbers one time free and after that it would cost $10. i picked a 718 area code and a 713 exchange and they filled in the other four digits. to the life of me i cant remember where on the website i found this cause i never saw it before. it might have to do with my talking to tech support the day before asking for the change and they telling me to wait 24 hours and then it appeared on the site the next day. thats all i can tell you about exchanging numbers.
spiegelw
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Local Number Reply with quote

Yes, your assumption is true. If you are not going to receive calls on it...use it for outgoing only or mostly...does not make any difference. In my case I am going to use it for all of my LD calls. So I don't care what my number is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: