magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Listener reports "breaking up" and I lose the conn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nisko1
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Listener reports "breaking up" and I lose the conn Reply with quote

I use COX cable with a fairly decent speed. Lately, I have most people I call tell me I am breaking up and, sometimes, I lose the connection entirely. I don't know how to troubleshoot the MJ (old style). Also, when I've contacted their tech support, they tell me, invariably, to delete the drivers - then scan for changes. This has not been helping lately. Are there some things I can try? Thank you..........
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Listener reports "breaking up" and I lose the Reply with quote

Nisko1 wrote:
I use COX cable with a fairly decent speed. Lately, I have most people I call tell me I am breaking up and, sometimes, I lose the connection entirely. I don't know how to troubleshoot the MJ (old style). Also, when I've contacted their tech support, they tell me, invariably, to delete the drivers - then scan for changes. This has not been helping lately. Are there some things I can try? Thank you..........

Yes you could try doing a search as this has been discussed almost since day one with MJ.
One thing you can try is choosing the Air Card setting on the softphone screen. LOTS of other things you could try as well, maybe the MJ server you are on is overloaded and you need to switch to another. Turn on QOS on your router. Just a few for you .
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nisko1
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would I switch to another MJ server? Also, what else happens if I turn off QOS? Thank you.
Nisko1
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what is an Air Card and where is it? I couldn't find it. Thanks.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the router an or modem model you are using
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nisko1 wrote:
How would I switch to another MJ server? Also, what else happens if I turn off QOS? Thank you.

I didnt say to turn OFF QOS, I said it needs to be ON.. it is router specfic as to where in the settings QOS resides.

Here is a link to a bunch of FAQ which may help you with your MJ:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack/Support_Resources/FAQ
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nisko1
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again!!!
Nisko555
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Cisco router and found the QoS section. It is turned off. I can turn it on but it requires me to add a Name" (MagicJack) and a port range. I have no idea where to begin to choose a port range. Could you suggest one, please?
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My QOS settings on my router also have an option as to what LAN port I want to use. So I set mine to #2 as that is where my VOIP device is plugged into. Works like charm. Also there may be a drop down for you to use a MAC address. Seems odd the only option is a port range.
Check to see if there are other options to choose other than your port range.
Nisko555
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way on this forum for me to send you a picture of my router screen where it shows the QoS settings? If so, how do I activate it? BTW, for some odd reason, this forum wouldn't take my old Username and Password - so I had to re-register. That's why I couldn't reply to you right away. Thanks....
Nisko555
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find a way to enter a MAC address for adding MJ to QoS - but I don't know what a MAC address is nor do I know where to find the one for MJ. This screen is separate from the one that requests a Port range.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the attached devices list on your router I beleive the Plus Mac address starts with (6C). Just add that address to your QOS and you should be in business.
Nisko555
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My attached devices only show the two computers on the local wireless network. Can't find the MJ (although it IS working and attached).
SailorDave
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using the old MJ instead of the newer MJ+, it must be connected to the computer to function. In that case, it will not appear in your router listing. Only the MJ+, connected directly to the router will then show in the router's device listing.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are 100% correct.
If you read the previous posts I went off on a tangent from his orig post when he asked about QOS. I had forgotten he orig asked about the old MJ.. My bad, but everything else I told him should have helped other than the Mac address and lan port. I guess he will have to use the port range in his QOS settings after all as everything else points towards an item being plugged INTO the router.
So again, good catch!! I sit corrected Smile
Nisko555
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so can someone tell me what port range to use? I can type the numbers - but I don't know anything about ports and ranges. Thanks...........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: